• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Watt Mismatch (2x12)

Say you have :

Amp = 60 Watts

Speaker A = 25 watts ... G12m

Speaker B = 120 Watts ... G12H-120

All the ohms are matched ... Amp = 16ohms, Speaker A & B are 8ohms each therefore in-series = 16ohms.

What are pros and more importantly the cons of such a huge mismatch in watts?
    Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Re: Amp Watt Mismatch (2x12)

im not sure, but i was once told by an amp guy that your basically gonna hear the one with more watts alot more than the lower wattage one.... im not sure thats even true....i bet someone will know
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Since both speakers are rated the same, they both should be getting the same amount of power from the amp, but the way they'll respond to that power will differ. The 120 watt speaker shouldn't breakup at all with the amount of power that it's being fed, but the 25 watt speaker will probably start to breakup pretty quickly. I haven't run that large of mismatch, but a few years ago I found it necessary for a job to run a cabinet that has a 25 watt Fender speaker and a 75 watt Emminence. Running 80 watts into the system produced just what I described. I didn't find it to be a terribly attractive tone, since what was required to get the desired overdrive in the 75 watt was overkill for the 25 watt.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
        Since both speakers are rated the same, they both should be getting the same amount of power from the amp, but the way they'll respond to that power will differ. The 120 watt speaker shouldn't breakup at all with the amount of power that it's being fed, but the 25 watt speaker will probably start to breakup pretty quickly. I haven't run that large of mismatch, but a few years ago I found it necessary for a job to run a cabinet that has a 25 watt Fender speaker and a 75 watt Emminence. Running 80 watts into the system produced just what I described. I didn't find it to be a terribly attractive tone, since what was required to get the desired overdrive in the 75 watt was overkill for the 25 watt.

Make sense ... the 25w vs. 120w is an exageration but I see what you mean.

My thinking was ... yes, the 25w will breakup faster but the higher watt speaker will simply be as transparent as can be and reduce the overall grittyness of the Greenback.

Comment

In addition, each speaker will get 30 watts. Might blow the 25w version.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
            Even while wired in-series?

Comment

Apart from the earlier break-up of the lower wattage one, I'm reckon the efficiency will play a large part. If the 120watter has a sensitivity of 95db (for example), and the other one is 99db, then I'm thinking the 30 watter will dominate the mix.
              Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

i smell a blown speaker thread coming soon..

personally i think you should stick within 10 watts of the rating of your amp.. but thats only because im not too much a fan of overdriven speakers

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead
                  Even while wired in-series?
                  Yep, both will get the same amount of power if the impedances are matched.

Comment

Originally posted by garublador
                    Yep, both will get the same amount of power if the impedances are matched.

Thanks guys ... cured my curiousity.

I want to keep the Greenback in my 2x12 but using a 60watt head is pain in the butt. I guess just chance it with a G12H-30 and see probably end up with another G12H-30 down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                      Yep, you can handle only 50 watts. It's 2 times the lowest speaker watt rating. The 120 will just be barely pushed and the 25 watt burning up when you have it dimed.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBC
                        Yep, you can handle only 50 watts. It's 2 times the lowest speaker watt rating. The 120 will just be barely pushed and the 25 watt burning up when you have it dimed.

Oye! This mess started because I was going to get a THD Univalve or Dr. Z Maz Junior so I loaded up on Greenbacks ... then I spotted a JCM 600 head real cheap and jumped on it.

Ohhh well ... get 2 G12H-30s or some Weber equivalent and be done with it.

Comment

Sooner or later you will probably blow the 120 watt speaker not the 25 watt. I've done this twice. The "Speaker Doctor" here in Charlotte explained it to me once but I've forgotten why this is so. All I know is that when I've mismatched speakers it's always the highest rated speaker that blows.

Comment

Working...
                          X