How do I change my speaker safely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I change my speaker safely

I will be getting tubes by the end of the week and a speaker sometime next week. I will be putting them in my Fender Blues Deluxe. Both seem real easy. But I don't want to become toast. What do I have to stay away from.

Lou
    His Grace is Amazing

Re: How do I change my speaker safely

I could be wrong, but the tubes are pretty much "plug and play". The speaker won't pose any health problems. Simply unsolder where it was soldered, keeping mind of where each wire goes and solder in the new one.

Both will be real easy, I think as long as you have general knowledge of amplification, you won't have a problem
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
      I could be wrong, but the tubes are pretty much "plug and play". The speaker won't pose any health problems. Simply unsolder where it was soldered, keeping mind of where each wire goes and solder in the new one.

Both will be real easy, I think as long as you have general knowledge of amplification, you won't have a problem
      Solder? Who needs to solder anything? Only if your lead wires connected to your old speaker happen to be soldered will you need to deal with that. If so, before taking a soldering iron to undo them, place a rag or something around the area to protect the old speaker from solder in case it decides to splat some residue when heat is applied. The lead-wires in my DRRI are female plugs that simply plug into the + and - terminals on a speaker. You may consider doing a quick mod to your speaker wires coming from the amp, and apply a couple of connectors while you're in there if that's the case.
      I'm not sure if the amp chassis will be in your way in removing the old speaker and installing the new one, but I had to do that in my DRRI. If it is, you may be able to get away with just removing the chassis screws that hold it into the cabinet, and sliding it just far enough to get to your speaker screw-nuts easily.
      Just make darn sure the amp is not plugged into power (duh), and when you replace the tubes don't rock 'em back and forth trying to wiggle them out. Pull 'em straight out one at a time, and plug the new ones in likewise.
      I'm also not sure if the Blues Deluxe comes with a bias adjusting trim-pot built into it or not, so make sure you get a matched set of tubes.
      Good luck!

-Bob

Comment

Sorry Bob, didn't realize just how different some of these things are made nowadays. I used my vintage Vibrolux Reverb as a leg to stand on (everything is pretty accessible). As far as the soldering thing, the speakers I got from Weber, I had to solder to the output jack in my cabinet, wasn't sure if it'd be different with a combo.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Chris, sorry if I came off a little heavy there, 'bro. Didn't mean it that way at all. I'm quite certain there are many amps out there, especially older ones, that require some soldering work when it comes to speaker replacement....including some Fenders.
          Actually, as I recall in my Blues DeVille (which I haven't used in a few months now since buying this DRRI), I believe the wires may be soldered in that one. Maybe it's just mostly newer models that come with plugs?
          I may stand severely corrected....lol.
          Thanks!
          -Bob
          Last edited by midnite_man; 05-11-2004, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
            Okay first fill the tub,then balancing the plugged in amp on a tv tray,(remember those things?),step in the tub and get to work

Sorry,just had to.
            ROFL

Okay, John, okay.......

Comment

Here's the easiest way to do the speakers on a Fender of that type (DRRI as well)...

lay it over on it's face. unscrew the front baffle from the amp. (4 screws usually). Lift the cab off the front baffle board leaving the baffle board laying on the ground with the speakers attached. change out the speakers. then pivot the cab back onto the baffle board. screw it back up. Simple, easy and you won't accidently rip the speaker on a stud.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Thanks guys

It looks like I could take out two of the chasis screws and tilt it up out of the way to get at the speaker screws.

To take the front screen off there is a nut and bolt thing. To get the top two out I would have to slide my hand up under the chasis.

I am not at all worried about taking things appart. I built a drag race car. I am just afraid of getting Zapped. I heared there is some serious power stored in ther somewhere.

That's what I was asking about. I don't want to wind up looking like the guy in Beetlejuice
                His Grace is Amazing

Comment

so to change a speaker all you need to do basically is unscrew it?
                  and for tubes all you do is need to pop them in and out?

no soldering?
                  esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                  fender mim standard strat
                  peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                  dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic
                  "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                    so to change a speaker all you need to do basically is unscrew it?
                    and for tubes all you do is need to pop them in and out?

no soldering?
                    Mine unplugs like a car speaker
                    His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Scott's method is the easy way if it works on your amp .. I know my B Jr is a little different, but I think you B Deluxe should work that way ...

no soldering - the speaker wire should have quick connect ends

most vintage amps do require soldering
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                        Scott's method is the easy way if it works on your amp .. I know my B Jr is a little different, but I think you B Deluxe should work that way ...

no soldering - the speaker wire should have quick connect ends

most vintage amps do require soldering
                        Thanks Curly

But I am more concerned about SAFETY and what not to touch

Why is no one answering my question is it that stupid?
                        His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Dont worry about the tubes. Just wiggle them back and forth and they will come out. If your worried about getting shocked just don't touch anything other than the tubes. They are usually stand alone pieces with plenty of clearance around them.

J
                          Low wattage rocks!
                          Bumbox Lead 1
                          Orange Tiny Terror
                          Vox 120VTH
                          ----------------------
                          Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                          Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Lou,

If you unplug the amp, I think you'll be fine because everything is done outside of the chassis (When you open up the chassis you have to be careful of charge left in the caps). The only thing I think you have to avoid for this job is the tip of the soldering iron. Youch that thing gets hot!

Comment

Thanks guys
                              His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X