Undoing Strat Neck Plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undoing Strat Neck Plate?

I have never been one to lurk around any of my guitars preferring to leave this to the experts (and expense). However one thing that has always intrigued me is undoing the neck plates on strats. Quite often I have seen pictures on flea-bay where necks have been removed to show neck (and body) dates. Obviously this is to provide authenticity and all that.

However does all this undoing and doing up of the neck plate cause any problems down the line? What I was thinking is that it would loosen the "seal" and would not provide as tight a fit afterwards. I know that some of you guys put on different necks and I was thinking that at some point in the future I may do this to one of my strats but just wanted to know your views?

Let me know what if any pitfalls are likely (BTW all of my strats have maple boards and I am thinking about getting a rosewood board).

Thanks guys
    Normans Guitars

Re: Undoing Strat Neck Plate?

One time should not pose any problems I can think of. But if you take
    your neck off often, You should replace the screws as for they lose
    there strenght and will break off on you.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
      One time should not pose any problems I can think of. But if you take
      your neck off often, You should replace the screws as for they lose
      there strenght and will break off on you.
      A torque wrench definately becomes handy for getting the exact tightness each time ( and on each screw)... however it would seem to stress the wood itself more than the screws, but I have heard of screws snapping. I wouldn't woory to much about it, but it does take a while for the neck to settle back in tension wise.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
        The real trick,(as well as what KMC and Kent said),is to make sure that the neck is lined up after reattaching.
        Whenever you remove a neck mesure the distance from the edge of the fretboard to the edge of each E string,it should be equal.If not the bolts will have to be loosened and the neck set straight.Some necks will shift from one side to the other depending on what order you tighten the screws,how fast you apply the pressure and what order you tighten the screws in.
        Also with fender's you should always remove the neck on a bench to watch for shims and their placements.
        A good idea (space permitting) is to place shims on both sides when the neck is still attached, under tension, tuned, set -up, intonated, you know the whole deal ... so that it's a tight fit, then when the neck is put back , the shims can be tapped in, and the neck tightened down to final torque specs.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys it is omething that one of these days I'll pluck up enough courage and actually go and do.

One further query you mention a torque wrench - is this a special tool that I got to get or is this somethig that I can get from my local hardware store? Presumably there is also a set torque (pressure?) for doing this or do you just wait until you see the bolts coming out the other end?
          Normans Guitars

Comment

Ok any of you tried the metel inserts to bolt necks down? check this out! http://www.vintique.com/necks.html

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
              Thanks for the advice guys it is omething that one of these days I'll pluck up enough courage and actually go and do.

One further query you mention a torque wrench - is this a special tool that I got to get or is this somethig that I can get from my local hardware store? Presumably there is also a set torque (pressure?) for doing this or do you just wait until you see the bolts coming out the other end?
              Automotive tool mainly,you adjust it for so many ft/lbs. (or m/kgs). of applied torque, when it reaches that amount of torque it *breaks*, an kinda clutch cuts in, and it clicks as a signal.You back off at that point, and the bolt or screw is set at that level of tightness.
              You can get a small one about 10 inches/25.4cm long, that lets you set the torque via a rotating graduated sleve/collar/stop screw thing, put a socket on it, and a screw bit in the socket that matches your screw heads (pozidrive heads are nice, so are torx), the object is you start at the lowest setting, and try to break the screw loose (unscrewing), of course the wrench will click, you raise the torque setting and repeat, and again until the screw finally breaks free and starts to loosen, at that point you note the torque setting, when you go the tighten them back, you flip the forward/reverse lever (just like on a regular rachet),then you just tighten them until the wrench clicks (the internal clutch kicking in), you release the moment it clicks, at that point the screws the are exactly as tight as they were before you loosened them, and ALL of them are the same tightness. It's not really a wrench, it's a rachet type device. Come on you've been under the hood of your car once or twice. Thorsen makes a nice little one marked in ft/lbs. and m/kgs. it think I got mine for like $29.95 US dollars, came with a little black ABS plastic hard case.

Comment

Originally posted by SINGTONE
                Ok any of you tried the metel inserts to bolt necks down? check this out! http://www.vintique.com/necks.html
                Never tried them, looks like a simple, effective, and great idea though ...

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T

If you own a torque wrench, Great. It's a good Idea to use it.
                  But IMHO I wouldn't go buy one for this purpose alone. Just avoid useing
                  a power drill. Just tighten the screws in a X pattern so you get equal
                  pressure ( Just like changeing a tire useing the star pattern) A soild wrist
                  with some elbow and minamal sholder should be enough pressure without
                  over torque'in the screws. It's pretty easy to do even if your not
                  mechanicly inclinded.
                  http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
                  X