banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delay pedals; (DD-2 vs MIJ DD-3 vs MIT DD-3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay pedals; (DD-2 vs MIJ DD-3 vs MIT DD-3)

I need a delay pedal, simply put. I'd like to use it for delay times up to around 600ms, and the bunch of BOSS delays seem to fit the bill. I'm also a poor high school student, so the Line6 DL4, and other similarly price pedals, are not an option

I've heard many good things about the BOSS DD-2; they're supposed to be the warmest and most analog sounding delay pedal out there? Then I've also heard things about the original MIJ DD-3s being exactly the same as the DD-2, and to top it off, theres also the more recent MIT DD-3s.

Basically, has anybody A/B'ed any of those pedals, or had experience with either of them? I've got a bit more than $100 to blow on the pedal, but the easiest option by far would be to walk into the dealer and get a brand spanking new MIT DD-3. However, depending on exactly how much difference there is between the MIT DD-3/MIJ DD-3/DD-2, I am seriously considering getting a friend to help me get one off ebay.

I have absolutely no chance of A/Bing them myself, unfortunately. If I could, I wouldn't be asking here So any opinions, and comments, would be greatly appreciated
    Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
    Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
    Carl Martin Rock Drive
    ISP Decimator
    BOSS DD-3
    Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Re: Delay pedals; (DD-2 vs MIJ DD-3 vs MIT DD-3)

I saw no difference in the DD-2 when it was out, and the DD-3, other than slightly longer battery life, lower noise, and better transient response (also a graphics change on the stereo mono jack labelling), some people say it sounded smoother ... couldn't tell ya, I didn't hear a difference ...I hear no difference between the the MIJ and MIT versions ... I wouldn't bother losing sleep over it myself. The only thing that I do wish (since Boss doesn't make an analogue delay) is that they would revamp the DD-3 (don't muck it up Roland!), and add a high cut (analogue like) in the feedback loop (like the RPS-10 microracks had), so that each repeat loses more hi end like a tape delay. Also the hold function could go, as it's pretty much useless , a tap function would be nice, as would an input cancel function ... that way you step off of it, and your delays fade out rather than stop (like the DD-5 and DD-6). The DD-3 is a nice pedal, gives you what most people need without paying an arm and a leg for 2 to 5 second of delay. Still they could improve the working man's delay a bit. To answer the question, i have heard no real differences between them (all three) just things like better headroom, lower noise, longer battery life, better input filters ... that kinda stuff.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

i think price wise the digitech delay would be great. tap tempo, long delay time, looping all for a good price. the audio clips sound great too.

if i had the cash, the line 6 dl4 would be nice, but since i don't i may just go for the digitech (liked the dd-3, but not enough options to warrant a purchase IMHO).
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys

I spent a good hour on a MIT DD-3 yesterday, it does exactly what I want at a fair price. Didn't get a chance to try out the Digitech Digidelay head to head though, as they didn't have it at that certain branch of the store.

Chris, how do the Digitech ones stack up to the DD-3 in terms of sound? I'm no fan of ultra long delays, nor do I find the need for tap tempo - I'm the sort of 'set it and forget it' user, and I just want a simple 400-600ms delay that I can use to create a slight echoey effect in conjunction with the amp reverb
        Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
        Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
        Carl Martin Rock Drive
        ISP Decimator
        BOSS DD-3
        Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Jono_L
          Thanks for the responses guys

I spent a good hour on a MIT DD-3 yesterday, it does exactly what I want at a fair price. Didn't get a chance to try out the Digitech Digidelay head to head though, as they didn't have it at that certain branch of the store.

Chris, how do the Digitech ones stack up to the DD-3 in terms of sound? I'm no fan of ultra long delays, nor do I find the need for tap tempo - I'm the sort of 'set it and forget it' user, and I just want a simple 400-600ms delay that I can use to create a slight echoey effect in conjunction with the amp reverb
          i've used the old digitech, the boss could handle higher input levels, and transints a bit better,but that was smacking the crap out of the guitar intentioanlly as a test,the boss went up to like 7kHz, while the digitech stopped at like 6kHz; considering that amp speaker's drastically roll off anywhere from 4.5 to 6khz that's more than enough bandwidth, the digitechs are good, truth be told probably as good in useage as the boss(meaning that theboss just specs a little better), I'm just a boss guy ... my point was with the boss was that it has a hold finction that's kinda useless ... i'd like to see that changed to something else, like maybe a BPM delay like on the dd-5 (you know quarter, dotted eighth, eighth, and triplet eighth notes synce to a tapped tempo input),that's all I was saying, then it would be an incredible delay for the money,as a tap function is widely used,and so is the BPM rhythmic divisions, that and the fade out feature ... maybe if i keep saying it Roland will change it ... The digitech i well made, and dependable, sounds a tad bit warmer than the boss ... if it's cheaper, go for it!
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

When i was shopping around I considered the digitech, but I was steered away from some horror stories from my guitar teacher and the shop owner I'm friends with. They just got nuts and pump out all sorts of sounds, other then they are suppose to be solid.

A new dd-3 will set you back 100 bucks, a used DL4, like the one at my local shop is fetching 150. A used DL4 could be worth the little extra green.

Comment

Working...
            X