Buffered Bypass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffered Bypass?

Anyone know how the buffered bypass in the Dunlop 95Q CryBaby Wah differs from true bypass? Thanks.

Re: Buffered Bypass?

With true bypass, the signal avoids the circuitry altogether. With a buffered bypass, the signal travels through the circuit, which is designed with buffers at certain points to help keep the signal intact. When designed properly, you shouldn't notice any signal degredation with a buffered bypass pedal, and in some cases, it's actually better to have a buffered bypass than a true bypass. This is the case when long cable lengths are involved.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Most people do not like the buffered bypass on the wahs, I run a good deal of cable and I still find the buffered bypass to be bad. It kills my higher frequencies. You can find several true bypass mods on the net.

Comment

Yeah, most wah pedals do not have a really good buffered bypass system. As a general rule, Boss, Maxon, and Ibanez pedals are designed very well, and there is no loss of tone with their buffered bypass pedals.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Yes, I'll vouch for Boss on that one, I don't think I can say i've heard any loss of signal from those boss pedals.

Comment

I don't like buffered bypass. I always hear that solid state influence. That works for some people, but not for me. All of my pedals have true-bypass.
              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Hehe I despise true bypass...and solidstate is all what there is in those buggers
                Buffers are far from equal, like everything else they get better with the price.

Comment

It's generally good to throw a buffered pedal in your signal chain somewhere if your total cable length (guitar to pedalboard + cable between pedals + pedalboard to amp = total length) is over 20 to 25 feet. You also need to add an additional 3 to 6 inches for each true-bypass pedal in your chain.

It helps keep down signal degredation and restores your missing highs and mids.

I run 20 feet of cable to the pedalboard, and another 20 feet of cable to the amp. I use a Boss GE-7 as a buffer (it's the only pedal between my guitar and my amp except for a true-bypass distortion). If I take it out of the signal path and just run the TB distortion by itself, my tone sounds like sh*t.

Generally though, the buffer on a Dunlop wah is crap (or so I've been told, I have an older one that's been TB'd), and if you can get it TB'd, you'll be better off.
                  Last edited by some_dude; 05-13-2004, 03:34 PM.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz6
                      Anyone know how the buffered bypass in the Dunlop 95Q CryBaby Wah differs from true bypass? Thanks.
                      Can't say for sure, but everyone beat me to it,yeah the BOSS thing, or a variation of it, the buffered crybabies have an extra transistor/fet at the front, depending how it's done (like the jfet BOSS stuff) I'd take the buffered bypass over a true bypass anyday, for the main reason of lower output impedance. However some vintage fuzz pedals and such respond kinda funny over not getting the pure guitar as such. A true-bypass though is great though like Ryan siad, if you don't have long cable runs. Kudos to Rid too!
                      Some buffers a regular transistors as a small amp, although this works they tend to have a lower input Z and a higher output Z (which tends to make fuzz faces get upset, ...it also makes the fuzz face do what it does in *it's* circuitry) ... so the kinda give you a gain boost, then cut it back ... to so it comes back to unity ... the idea is to make up for any losses. unlike the Jfets which hav a very high in Z and low out Z, the preserve the frequency response of the signal, much better ... and don't get loaded down by what ever follows easily.

Hey Rid, were the heck are my opto-coupler specs at ... ...
                      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Argh sorry man.....we are swamped in projects...I'm actually going to work on a saturday
                        Duh!
                        Hope to get a look on them then.

Comment

Or you can just buy my GCX and Ground Control in the trading post.
                          Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                          VHT 2502
                          (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                          (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                          Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                          Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                          http://www.robertkeeley.com
                          Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                          Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                            Argh sorry man.....we are swamped in projects...I'm actually going to work on a saturday
                            Duh!
                            Hope to get a look on them then.
                            LOL!, ' just messing with you Rid.... I hope you get some personal time soon, don't get too burned out man.
                            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                            X