Ibanez RG321?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG321?

Can anyone recommend it? I only play hardtail (no Floyd Rose) and the RG321 seems to be what I'm looking for. If anyone has it, how long have you owned it, what do you play and what are your likes/dislikes about the guitar? Thanks!
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Re: Ibanez RG321?

1st: it's ibanez
    2nd: it's a low series RG which makes it even worse.

any low series ibanez should be looked over.. not worth picking up. if i were you i'd save my money for at least a high series S version ibanez or wait till the new JS30 series will be released (they have a string through body config) .. if you cant wait, i suggest an S series ibanez.. an RG should be bought only if you want to buy anything over the 470

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
      1st: it's ibanez
      2nd: it's a low series RG which makes it even worse.

any low series ibanez should be looked over.. not worth picking up. if i were you i'd save my money for at least a high series S version ibanez or wait till the new JS30 series will be released (they have a string through body config) .. if you cant wait, i suggest an S series ibanez.. an RG should be bought only if you want to buy anything over the 470
      Have you owned one? If not, where are your opinions coming from? You sound like you have a serious bias against this guitar... if your bias is based on prejudice against Ibanez, then I don't care, but if your bias is based on first-hand experience, I'm definitely interested in learning more.

I'm not challenging you or trying to start an argument. I'm just genuinely curious.

Thanks for posting!
      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

the RG321 isn't a low-end guitar, it's a more affordable mid-priced guitar, much due to its lack of a floating whammy- this helps cut cost. the lower end, entry level units Ibanez has to offer, are the Gio series.

i don't own the 321 but it's the guitar i always play at my dealer's (always plugged into a Peavey Bandit), it's one of the best hard tail offering i've come across. if you revere the very thin necks ibanez is famous for, then the 321's isn't the thinnest in the range (thinnest= Super Wizard, RG321 sports the Wizard II neck profile, still very thin IMO). i find everything favourable when it comes to this guitar, less the default pickups. in any case, these humbuckers aren't immaculate to begin with & if you are ibanez-inclined, you know the default non-Dimarzio ones shouldn't be something you should look forward to. i own 8 Ibanez, none sports the default pickups except my RG7 which is Dimarzio equipped from the factory (i prefer Duncans in my Ibanez, really).

after trying the 321, do try the SZ series (i own the SZ320), it's another superb non-floater from ibanez & it's a set neck so the sustain is above-average. the thick neck of this series would appeal to Gibson/ Epiphone fans. i didn't regret buying one (especially to have Duncans in it)

both the RG321 & the SZ are products of Korea but they don't display the wanton lack of quality like other far-eastern products we know. in fact, these would rival any Japanese Ibanez units in terms of build quality. do give the 321 a go & share your encounters here.
        Psychic Horns

Comment

yea, i worked saturdays at a shop here that imported ibanez guitars and i really havent played anything worth my time. every stock ibanez that i played sounded i dont know how to say it.. made up. the ones made in japan are ok, they have good assembly and if you change the pups and the tremolo you have a good guitar, but it costs you mucho $ extra
          i also dont feel comfortable playing them. my mates have rg270's and 470's and while the 470 is not as ****e as the 270 it feels the same.
          i do have a prejudice against ibanez guitars. imho they are crap, apart of some rare jewels. their necks are ultra thin and i feel like i'm gonna break it.

if you want a hardtail, get a higher S series, they are much much nicer than the rg hardtails

Comment

i played a rg321 the other day, not a bad guitar but nothing that i would ever buy for myself. the neck is too thin, though it is thicker than some ibanez that ive played, even had binding and the pups sound crappy, i bet they are those horrible powersound things.
            for $250 i thought it wasnt a bad guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
              yea, i worked saturdays at a shop here that imported ibanez guitars and i really havent played anything worth my time. every stock ibanez that i played sounded i dont know how to say it.. made up. the ones made in japan are ok, they have good assembly and if you change the pups and the tremolo you have a good guitar, but it costs you mucho $ extra
              i also dont feel comfortable playing them. my mates have rg270's and 470's and while the 470 is not as ****e as the 270 it feels the same.
              i do have a prejudice against ibanez guitars. imho they are crap, apart of some rare jewels. their necks are ultra thin and i feel like i'm gonna break it.

if you want a hardtail, get a higher S series, they are much much nicer than the rg hardtails
              Your analysis is just based on your preferences, which not everyone shares. The guitar isn't necessarily crap, you just don't happen to like it.

bloodswords and jeremy - Thanks.
              - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I like many types of Fendars, Gibsons and have tried many more. I have an Ibanez RG 270 DX with Floyd Royce and for me it rocks. I did drop a set of SD in and it sounds even better. You have heard it befor but its worth repeating if it feels good in your hands, sounds good to your ears and you like the looks go for it. We all have are opinions and experiencs so we tend to lean the way we like. But, ultimatly its up to you and your tastes. I wish you good luck and I am sure you will find a great axe. I love my Ibanez but I will be moving to a new one soon.
                Live long, play hard, enjoy life.

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                  Your analysis is just based on your preferences, which not everyone shares. The guitar isn't necessarily crap, you just don't happen to like it.
                  that is true. i was just stating my opinion. and thats pretty much what you asked for. i played a lot of ibanez guitars and only the satriani model was cool (except i dont like the evolution's sound). pretty much cos the neck is fatter, better sustain also

Comment

Alright, it's all good.

Thanks to anybody who posted. If anyone else has any experience/thoughts, let me know.
                    - David St. Hubbins

Comment

the Satriani doesn't sport Evolutions- Fred (B) + PAF Pro (N)...
                      Psychic Horns

Comment

bloodswords - Actually, I did get a chance to try the RG321 today and I was pleasantly surprised. I knew right off the bat it would be higher in quality than the GRX series, but I did not expect it to be nearly as nice as it was. The bolt on neck construction seemed unusually solid for a guitar under $350 and the fretwork, comfort level and playability were all top-notch. The neck was ultra comfortable.... I've been playing Strats for years now (I even went through a Les Paul phase) so thin necks are something new to me. Fatter necks always felt nice for chording, but I've never experienced a flat/thin neck before and I can honestly say it was a relief to be able to reach up to the upper frets (including 24!) with ease. That's something I could never say with my Paul. I already have plans for the pickups I'm putting in it if I do choose to purchase it. I don't expect much from stocks, especially Korean stocks. No fear... Seymour is here.

I'll have to put this at the top of my list of potential guitars and I'll keep the SZ in mind. Thanks for your input!
                        - David St. Hubbins

Comment

hey glad you tried one in person rather than rely too much on what you read here... IMO i'd rather you invest in one thin neck, since you have been playing chunky ones all these while. the 321 is a bargain in my books, even the binding adds class to the guitar. too bad the Japanese version, RG421 was discontinued, superseded by this Korean. but all is not lost i'd say...
                          Psychic Horns

Comment

i always say, get what you're comfortable with as it's YOUR choice in the end... i dislike ibanez guitars just because they've got so damn thin necks. playing a paul is a relief to an ibanez wizard neck.. the **** aint faster. it's all in the hands anyway

Comment

Coolness. Thanks, all.
                              - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Working...
                              X