Emgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emgs

Is it worth putting EMGS in a Strat or would I be better with Duncans or Marzios. With is better with the Strat the Eric Clapton Boost or the EMG AFter burner
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Dean Baby Z, Fender Squier Affinty Strat.

Marshall AVT 100, Fender Frontman 15G

Boss HM-3, DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby Original

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Re: Emgs

that's kinda like. Hey guys should I eat a banana for lunch or a cheeseburger? Really different tones, really different groove. what are you looking for?
    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

hey i ve just had a brilliant idea i could have a EMG 81 humbucker in the Bridge and have two single coils im looking for a metal and Classic rock sound

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by SlashRules
        hey i ve just had a brilliant idea i could have a EMG 81 humbucker in the Bridge and have two single coils im looking for a metal and Classic rock sound
        EMG makes a drop in set complete with the pickguard the 81 and two SA single coils. That combo rips I tell ya. all you have to do is screw the pickguard on and solder up to the input jack. If you feel like going back to passives, do the same thing again. It's a completely noiseless, good sounding setup.

Comment

It is very difficult to mix passive duncans with active emgs. You need to choose 1 or the other. Both would sound very good but different. It you do choose the emgs I would highly reccomend doing the 18 volt mod. My friend has an 89 in the bridge and 2 SAs in the front and middle and it sounds excelllent.
          Voodoo Amps 50 and 100 watt V-Plex heads
          Voodoo Amps Texas Heat 1x12 combo
          Longhorn Amps "The Barn Owl" 1x12 combo
          1981 JCM 800 2204 Head
          1984 (Bogner Modified) JCM 800 4103 2X12 Combo
          ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with WCR Cherrybucker Set
          ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 60
          ESP Viper Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 85
          ESP Esquire Custom Shop (Jeff Beck)
          Gibson SG Standard with WCR American Steele Set

Comment

do not underestimate the emg85 at the bridge position it's an awesome pickup and it's warmer than the emg81 and more natural sounding.(or the emg 89....it is like the emg 85 but it is splittable)

Comment

Do you lose the strat sound with the emgs

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

Get the David Gilmour emg set for your strat. I've never heard someone complain about those.

Comment

Do you lose the strat sound with the emgs

no, but it's definately different. Listen to dark side of the moon by pink floyd, that's exactly what they will sound like.

Comment

After having the Dave Gilmour DG-20 set in my MIM strat, I can give you the lowdown.

Advantages: they're the only things that go with EMG humbuckers, which I think are pretty nice, (had a EMG ZW set before too). I would go with an 81, because some of my favorite bands use it (John Rzeznik from the Goo Goo Dolls being one) and I think it is very articulate and outstanding with high gain. The single coils (the SAs that are in the Dave Gilmour set) work VERY well with effects and different setups. They're pretty versatile. The set I had had an EXP expander circuit and something else that could change it to emulate humbuckers. Worked pretty decently.

Disadvantages: It may be considered sterile to some. They're pretty plain to be honest. Dave no doubt loves them because it provides a perfect platform to add crazy effects to. IF YOU ARE EXPECTING THE "NATURAL" OR "TRADITIONAL" STRAT TONE, LOOK ELSEWHERE. These are not the chimey, brilliant pups that you've heard all the great vintage players use. With the right setup, I'm sure they can really work well... aka Gilmour's crazy setup. Otherwise, they will only give you decent strat tones.

I have never tried the 18v mod with either of those sets... as they were both sold (MRID has my ZW set). I think for a general versatile set, the 81-SA-SA set could perform it. However, you have to bear in mind that these are separate from the passive pups of the past. They do have a bit of a "colder" feel to them (kinda like comparing modeling amps to real tube amps). I think the 81 is the perfect metal pup and the SAs will add some cleaner, clearer flavor. Just some food for though (I realize not everyone has the same opinions, but after trying various pup manufacturers, I feel this is pretty accurate).
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

So should i get a super strat

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                        no, but it's definately different. Listen to dark side of the moon by pink floyd, that's exactly what they will sound like.
                        No one will ever sound EXACTLY like Dave Gilmour unless you ARE Dave Gilmour. In the event that you are Gilmour, I'd like to welcome you to the forums and beg you to please get another Floyd album out.

EMGs in a Strat probably won't give you a classic rock sound at all. Gilmour had EMGs in a Strat, but he doesn't have typical Clapton-esque classic rock tone.

If you don't know what the tonal differences between actives and passives are, you should hang out in the Pickups forum and ask around a bit. Actives give you a brighter, glassier sound that is stronger, but less dark and gritty. Most of the guitar players you associate with classic rock use traditional passive pickups.

I don't even know where to begin offering recommendations because there are too many variables. I don't know exactly what you prefer, so it's hard to say for sure. The banana vs. cheeseburger analogy is perfect.
                        It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                        - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Are AVN anygood for that traditional Strat Sound

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

In what other songs does Gilmour use emgs

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

Help

Line 6 Pod 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X