Emgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Emgs

Gilmour uses EMGs pretty much all the damn time. I could have sworn he had a signature set, but I might be wrong. If you really want to get a taste for what they sound like, I would check out one of the newer live albums, like PULSE.

It boils down to this - you're not going to sound exactly like Dave Gilmour and you're not going to sound exactly like anyone else with EMGs in their Strat. You could use him as an example of the kind of tone you will approximate, but you'll invariably just sound like yourself. Your guitar, however, will take on tonal characteristics that are unlike a vintage Strat and unlike vintage sounding guitars, period. You can't get vintage tone out of EMGs, but you CAN get really cool tone that you'll like if you appreciate active pickups. If you like actives, give it a shot. If you don't, then skip it entirely.
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Comment

kill_your_scene is right on... that's what I was getting at. Do you want vintage strat tones or do you prefer active sounding pups? What kind of setup do you have and what is it you want the pups to do? Those are all questions you need to answer SlashRules before we can definitively tell you one way or the other what pups to get.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Thanks, Chris. Your avatar and sig both kick ass, BTW.
        - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Thanks

Your sig with a quote from Pulp Fiction kicks too
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
            Thanks

Your sig with a quote from Pulp Fiction kicks too
            Ah yeah! You gotta love Tarantino references.
            - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Why don't you just stick with passives. Most people find them more versatile than actives for some reason; they just have more "personality"
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Dont put DiMarzio's in if your looking for real metal and classical metal tone. I love my DiMarzio's but they are not for metal. They play everything very nicely, and have the creamist warm tone, but for metal if you want classic or "real" metal alltogether, you can stick with the 81, and put in either EMG single coils, or duncan singles. I dont know How the Marzio singles sound, but If they resemble the humbuckers, they aren'tmade for what you want IMO. I want the Zakk Wyld EMG set in my Epi Gothic V (81's and 85's) I have Marzio's in my schecter (my baby) and I love them for everything else except metal.
                Its not about love or hate, wrong or right, its about perception. Just do it, say it, feel it. There are no lies... lies are too human. Its so much thought that its none at all. Its no religion, its not defined. Its not even real. Its about being connected to the point that you didnt even know. Its the reassuring peace in pain because it hit you & its over & you felt it. Its the pits of Hell found in Heaven. Its not being connected with a god... we are all god...

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                  Ah yeah! You gotta love Tarantino references.
                  OT: My new sig is just as funny. Anyone who names it's source gets a star for today.
                  - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Working...
                  X