• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kill your scene
    replied
    Re: Emgs

Originally posted by kill your scene
    Ah yeah! You gotta love Tarantino references.
    OT: My new sig is just as funny. Anyone who names it's source gets a star for today.

Leave a comment:

• Schecter006Elite
    replied

Dont put DiMarzio's in if your looking for real metal and classical metal tone. I love my DiMarzio's but they are not for metal. They play everything very nicely, and have the creamist warm tone, but for metal if you want classic or "real" metal alltogether, you can stick with the 81, and put in either EMG single coils, or duncan singles. I dont know How the Marzio singles sound, but If they resemble the humbuckers, they aren'tmade for what you want IMO. I want the Zakk Wyld EMG set in my Epi Gothic V (81's and 85's) I have Marzio's in my schecter (my baby) and I love them for everything else except metal.

Leave a comment:

• Metalman_666
    replied

Why don't you just stick with passives. Most people find them more versatile than actives for some reason; they just have more "personality"

Leave a comment:

• kill your scene
    replied

Originally posted by the_Chris
    Thanks

Your sig with a quote from Pulp Fiction kicks too
    Ah yeah! You gotta love Tarantino references.

Leave a comment:

• That90'sGuy
    replied

Thanks

Your sig with a quote from Pulp Fiction kicks too

Leave a comment:

• kill your scene
    replied

Thanks, Chris. Your avatar and sig both kick ass, BTW.

Leave a comment:

• That90'sGuy
    replied

kill_your_scene is right on... that's what I was getting at. Do you want vintage strat tones or do you prefer active sounding pups? What kind of setup do you have and what is it you want the pups to do? Those are all questions you need to answer SlashRules before we can definitively tell you one way or the other what pups to get.

Leave a comment:

• kill your scene
    replied

Gilmour uses EMGs pretty much all the damn time. I could have sworn he had a signature set, but I might be wrong. If you really want to get a taste for what they sound like, I would check out one of the newer live albums, like PULSE.

It boils down to this - you're not going to sound exactly like Dave Gilmour and you're not going to sound exactly like anyone else with EMGs in their Strat. You could use him as an example of the kind of tone you will approximate, but you'll invariably just sound like yourself. Your guitar, however, will take on tonal characteristics that are unlike a vintage Strat and unlike vintage sounding guitars, period. You can't get vintage tone out of EMGs, but you CAN get really cool tone that you'll like if you appreciate active pickups. If you like actives, give it a shot. If you don't, then skip it entirely.

Leave a comment:

• SlashRules
    replied

Help

Leave a comment:

• SlashRules
    replied

In what other songs does Gilmour use emgs

Leave a comment:

• SlashRules
    replied

Are AVN anygood for that traditional Strat Sound

Leave a comment:

• kill your scene
    replied

Originally posted by Xeromus
    no, but it's definately different. Listen to dark side of the moon by pink floyd, that's exactly what they will sound like.
    No one will ever sound EXACTLY like Dave Gilmour unless you ARE Dave Gilmour. In the event that you are Gilmour, I'd like to welcome you to the forums and beg you to please get another Floyd album out.

EMGs in a Strat probably won't give you a classic rock sound at all. Gilmour had EMGs in a Strat, but he doesn't have typical Clapton-esque classic rock tone.

If you don't know what the tonal differences between actives and passives are, you should hang out in the Pickups forum and ask around a bit. Actives give you a brighter, glassier sound that is stronger, but less dark and gritty. Most of the guitar players you associate with classic rock use traditional passive pickups.

I don't even know where to begin offering recommendations because there are too many variables. I don't know exactly what you prefer, so it's hard to say for sure. The banana vs. cheeseburger analogy is perfect.

Leave a comment:

• SlashRules
    replied

So should i get a super strat

Leave a comment:

• That90'sGuy
    replied

After having the Dave Gilmour DG-20 set in my MIM strat, I can give you the lowdown.

Advantages: they're the only things that go with EMG humbuckers, which I think are pretty nice, (had a EMG ZW set before too). I would go with an 81, because some of my favorite bands use it (John Rzeznik from the Goo Goo Dolls being one) and I think it is very articulate and outstanding with high gain. The single coils (the SAs that are in the Dave Gilmour set) work VERY well with effects and different setups. They're pretty versatile. The set I had had an EXP expander circuit and something else that could change it to emulate humbuckers. Worked pretty decently.

Disadvantages: It may be considered sterile to some. They're pretty plain to be honest. Dave no doubt loves them because it provides a perfect platform to add crazy effects to. IF YOU ARE EXPECTING THE "NATURAL" OR "TRADITIONAL" STRAT TONE, LOOK ELSEWHERE. These are not the chimey, brilliant pups that you've heard all the great vintage players use. With the right setup, I'm sure they can really work well... aka Gilmour's crazy setup. Otherwise, they will only give you decent strat tones.

I have never tried the 18v mod with either of those sets... as they were both sold (MRID has my ZW set). I think for a general versatile set, the 81-SA-SA set could perform it. However, you have to bear in mind that these are separate from the passive pups of the past. They do have a bit of a "colder" feel to them (kinda like comparing modeling amps to real tube amps). I think the 81 is the perfect metal pup and the SAs will add some cleaner, clearer flavor. Just some food for though (I realize not everyone has the same opinions, but after trying various pup manufacturers, I feel this is pretty accurate).

Leave a comment:

• Xeromus
    replied

Originally posted by SlashRules
    Do you lose the strat sound with the emgs

no, but it's definately different. Listen to dark side of the moon by pink floyd, that's exactly what they will sound like.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X