banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP: Can close mic amp with condenser at low volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Can close mic amp with condenser at low volume?

Hi,
    I've posted questions about micing amps with a condenser mic before and people have told me that the good ol SM57 does a better job.

Now is this just because the condenser mic cannot handle high volumes or does it actually sound bad?

Coz right now, I'm actually restricted to record at relatively low volumes (that would not distort my condenser). Would my condenser be suitable for close micing in this situation? Or would my SM57 sound better?

Thanks

Re: HELP: Can close mic amp with condenser at low volume?

I'd prefer the condenser at low volumes. My feeling on the SM57 (and similar dynamic mics) is that they perform best in front of a blaring tube amp. Compared to a condenser recording a relatively quiet amp, the SM57 will not retain the same clarity and "hear" the little nuances of your playing. That's my take on it after experimenting with both types of mics over the past two years. Others may disagree with my assessment, but, this is what works best for me. You can experiemnt yourself and determine which sounds best to your ears. When I record any guitar amp these day, I'll use an Audix D3 (similar to SM57) very close to the speaker, and a condenser about 3 feet away from the speaker. Mix the two in stereo and it's a match made in heaven!
    (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

The thing with the 57 is mostly just the sonic signature of that mic. It isn't nearly as transparent as any decent condenser, which will get a sound more like what is coming out of your amp. A 57 will color the sound a bit, but in a way that the vast majority of people find pleasing. I think some of this is that our perception of good guitar tone is based on a million recordings all using this mic.

Hawk's idea of using a 57 on the cone and a condenser a few feet back is a good and classic idea. Give that a try!

Mike

Comment

Thanks guys...
        An interesting thing to note is that at the G3 concert (the satriani, johnson, vai one), Vai seemed to be using a condenser to close mic his 4x12... and I'm sure that on that night, he would not have been playing soft!!

I wonder how that worked...

Comment

Working...
        X