Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Scaling vs attenuator & power level switch

Any of you guys know about this?

Power Scaling for tube guitar amplifiers - a technology by London Power. Get your amplifier's ultimate tone, as quietly as you like!
    Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
    VHT 2502
    (2) Randal XLT 4X12
    (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
    Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
    Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
    http://www.robertkeeley.com
    Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
    Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Re: Power Scaling vs attenuator & power level switch

Looks cool, but do you have to own a London Power amp?

THD Hotplate and Weber Mass will probably always be the industry standard.

Surprisingly, you can get similar results with a cheap Alesis Nanoverb - $60 used.

I know it's not the same concept as attenuation or "power scaling", but if your amp has an FX loop, you can definitely use it to bring a loud amp down to practice amp levels. If you have a DSL or Single Rec halfstack in your home, you owe it to yourself to at least try a Nanoverb. You simply dial up the same setting you would in a loud situation, then use the Nanoverb's output knob to pull the overall volume down.
    At the same time, you can mix in an appropriate amount of reverb so the sound isn't so dry and "in your face." Of course you aren't smacking your power tubes with as much preamp volume, but if your amp is turned up fairly high, the preamp signal is hitting some hot tubes, so the effect is similar. You won't be damaging either your amp or the Alesis Nanoverb. I use this on my 50W Jubilee stack at home. It sounds like 'stadium' tone at a level that won't bring the cops to my door.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

nanoverb eh???

i've a dsl halfstack in my home...
      so whats the deealy with this nanoverb thing..?
      and what would the dis/advantages over a weber mass or thd hotplate?

cheers..
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

The disadvantage of using a reverb unit instead of an attenuator, is that attenuators will produce a slightly fatter tone at those low volumes, which may be more important live. The advantage of using a reverb like the Nanoverb is that you now have low volume, plus FX, which takes the harshness off a dry amp. Plus, it's cheap and you can also use it for reverb at high volumes, not to mention your PA or recording gear.

Comment

ah i see..i looked it up and all it its is a reverb unit, which riht now i don't realy use reverb anyway..i think ill save up for a weber mass then...
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

All the attenuator question threads & this is the FIRST TIME I've heard about this Nanoverb option.....My Weber MASS came in the mail yesterday!

Those amps look super sweet...but the price tag sure won't get a lot of them sold. Anyone using one of these???
            Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 05-15-2004, 06:49 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Looks cool, but do you have to own a London Power amp?

THD Hotplate and Weber Mass will probably always be the industry standard.

Surprisingly, you can get similar results with a cheap Alesis Nanoverb - $60 used.

I know it's not the same concept as attenuation or "power scaling", but if your amp has an FX loop, you can definitely use it to bring a loud amp down to practice amp levels. If you have a DSL or Single Rec halfstack in your home, you owe it to yourself to at least try a Nanoverb. You simply dial up the same setting you would in a loud situation, then use the Nanoverb's output knob to pull the overall volume down.
              At the same time, you can mix in an appropriate amount of reverb so the sound isn't so dry and "in your face." Of course you aren't smacking your power tubes with as much preamp volume, but if your amp is turned up fairly high, the preamp signal is hitting some hot tubes, so the effect is similar. You won't be damaging either your amp or the Alesis Nanoverb. I use this on my 50W Jubilee stack at home. It sounds like 'stadium' tone at a level that won't bring the cops to my door.

I am going to check into it. I am also going to talk with Egnater on Monday about the subject. Maybe I'll have that modded into my RT2 instead of the power level switch. We'll see. Right now I am just turning the output signal down on my Intellifex. Seems to work good. I can get the preamp tubes cooking, but lower the signal to my amp. That allows me to turn up the amp to get those tubes cooking too. It is not the best, but until I get the amp modded. It will have to do.
              Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
              VHT 2502
              (2) Randal XLT 4X12
              (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
              Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
              Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
              http://www.robertkeeley.com
              Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
              Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much the deal. It's just a simple reverb FX unit that acts like a master volume in between your preamp and power section. It may not be as desireable as an attenuator, but it works. Not a bad option, especially if you already own a rackmounted FX unit with a input, mix, and output control. If your amp doesn't have an FX loop, you're pretty much limited to using an attenuator.

Comment

I have a pair of Rocktron units that are inserted between my Triaxis and 2:90 power amp. The levels on the amps rarely get moved and I set my levels with the second Roctron unit in the chain.

Doing it that way I get tone at a very reasonable level.
                  www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                  www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Working...
                  X