Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post: Traynor YCV20 Review

Hello all,

I just found this site, so I thought I'd start my first post with a review of a new amp I recently acquired (after succumbing to my VERY LAST G.A.S. attack...at least for the time being...)

Was searching for a long time for a small 15 watt all-tube combo amp, and finally pulled the trigger on this nifty Traynor:

Price: $395 (plus shipping)

General specs:

15 watt, all tube Class 'A'
    3 12ax7's, 2 EL84's
    standby switch
    12" Celestion Rocket 50 speaker
    2 seperate footswitchable channels, 'lead' and 'clean' (footswitch included)
    seperate master/volume controls for each channel
    3 band EQ
    gain boost for 'lead' channel (footswitchable)
    brightness switch for 'clean' channel
    accutronics spring reverb
    2 year warranty

Sound/Tones: (via Gibson SG Classic w/P90s)

Clean channel is very nice and sparkly (with bright switch), although I haven't really cranked it yet, so don't know the upper limit before it breaks up.

Spring Reverb definitely makes it's presence felt. Usually '3' is enough. Anything past '5' and you get drenched in waves of echo, which is probably the intention, to accomadate vintage 'surf' sounds?

Gain/Lead channel sounds great too and where this amp excels. You can dial in all types of distortion, from light OD to fuzz (with gain boost pushed on).

Nice overdrive to me is 'Live at Leeds/Brown Sugar' type of crunch. For fuzz I like a 'Purple Haze' fuzz-tone. No need for any OD pedals with this amp, at least to my ears, as it handles both types of OD and fuzz very nicely.

Another great feature is the master/volume controls. You can get great clean/distortion tones at bedroom levels without disturbing the neighbors. Like I said, I haven't been able to crank the 'clean' channel yet, so not sure how much 'clean' is on tap at loud volumes, but other reviewers have remarked it handles it well.

Overall:

Great sounding, very versitile all-tube combo amp for the price. I also considered the Fender Blues Jr and Crate V1512. The Traynor sounded as good, if not better than both, plus the Traynor wins hands down by having two seperate channels, giving the Traynor superior versitility for about the same price. Anyone in the market for a great little 15 watt tube combo amp should give the Traynor a tryout.

Michael Behuniak
    Seattle, WA USA

Re: First Post: Traynor YCV20 Review

cool man! thanks for the review! welcome to the board!
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Firstly welcome to the forum and a great start by giving us a review of your recent purchase. Nice amp/combo - from your description of the reverb it sounds as though its better than the Blues Jnr.

All the regulars will be along shortly to meet and greet you (Xerses & JJ) have already beaten me to it. But keep on posting I am sure you will find some great people here who are friendly and will offer you some very good advice. Some even become friends!!
      Normans Guitars

Comment

Welcome to the board and thanks for the very well done review.
        '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

nice review and welcome to the boards...
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelBehuniak
            Hello all,

I just found this site, so I thought I'd start my first post with a review of a new amp I recently acquired (after succumbing to my VERY LAST G.A.S. attack...at least for the time being...)

Was searching for a long time for a small 15 watt all-tube combo amp, and finally pulled the trigger on this nifty Traynor:

Price: $395 (plus shipping)

General specs:

15 watt, all tube Class 'A'
            3 12ax7's, 2 EL84's
            standby switch
            12" Celestion Rocket 50 speaker
            2 seperate footswitchable channels, 'lead' and 'clean' (footswitch included)
            seperate master/volume controls for each channel
            3 band EQ
            gain boost for 'lead' channel (footswitchable)
            brightness switch for 'clean' channel
            accutronics spring reverb
            2 year warranty

Sound/Tones: (via Gibson SG Classic w/P90s)

Clean channel is very nice and sparkly (with bright switch), although I haven't really cranked it yet, so don't know the upper limit before it breaks up.

Spring Reverb definitely makes it's presence felt. Usually '3' is enough. Anything past '5' and you get drenched in waves of echo, which is probably the intention, to accomadate vintage 'surf' sounds?

Gain/Lead channel sounds great too and where this amp excels. You can dial in all types of distortion, from light OD to fuzz (with gain boost pushed on).

Nice overdrive to me is 'Live at Leeds/Brown Sugar' type of crunch. For fuzz I like a 'Purple Haze' fuzz-tone. No need for any OD pedals with this amp, at least to my ears, as it handles both types of OD and fuzz very nicely.

Another great feature is the master/volume controls. You can get great clean/distortion tones at bedroom levels without disturbing the neighbors. Like I said, I haven't been able to crank the 'clean' channel yet, so not sure how much 'clean' is on tap at loud volumes, but other reviewers have remarked it handles it well.

Overall:

Great sounding, very versitile all-tube combo amp for the price. I also considered the Fender Blues Jr and Crate V1512. The Traynor sounded as good, if not better than both, plus the Traynor wins hands down by having two seperate channels, giving the Traynor superior versitility for about the same price. Anyone in the market for a great little 15 watt tube combo amp should give the Traynor a tryout.

Hi Mike:

If you think it rocks stock try changing out the tubes with some of the better tubes available.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

I'm real happy with this Traynor. I believe they will become quite popular once the word gets around out there in gear land.

Main guitars are a cherry-red Gibson SG Classic (w/P90's) and a honeyburst Epiphone Les Paul Standard I bought from MF as a 'refurb' for $349. Both are fine guitars in terms of finish, playability, and tone. I replaced the bridge pickup of the Epi with a SD Pearly Gate, which was a marked improvement. Even with the nickle cover it is still quite clear and 'bright'. Really brought the Epi to life.

Anyway, terrific forum. Thanks again for the great responses.

Michael Behuniak
              Seattle, WA USA

Comment

wow.. you sure went into detail with that review. well done!
                • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                • G&L Tribute Comanche
                • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
                X