School of Rock amp tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School of Rock amp tone

hey guys, i don't suppose any of ya'll would know what kinda amp that song on School of Rock uses on the first song, when they first play at the bar and the movie first opens? thanks

Re: School of Rock amp tone

It seems to me that the movie was based around pretty traditional gear setups. I know that doesn't help much, but just guessing... I'd say a Gibson SG through a vintage Marshall... maybe a JCM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I just want to know how to do that Jack Black stagedive without breaking my ribcage.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        I just want to know how to do that Jack Black stagedive without breaking my ribcage.
        Hahahaha!

I love that movie, and yeah if i had to take an educated guess (on my little education in this area ) on the gear used id just say traditional 80's stuff like a hotrodded JCM800, vintage 30 quadbox, and a solidbody mahogany gibson like the explorer he was holding.

And if you want to get down to pickups id say a JB at a bit of a stereotypical 80s guess
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

form what i saw i think he uses like a 61 reissue gisbon SG
          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

He uses an SG throughout the rest of the movie and at the end, but doesnt he use an explorer in the opening credits?
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

not sure but chaces are his amp is probably a marshall
              Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Jack Black uses an SG, that kid he trains plays an Explorer, so you're both right.
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

seeing that the whole movie seemed to be bought by marshall....like the end with like 40 marshall amps that werent on....
                  im guessing marshall...sounded like it too...jcm

Comment

it sounded like a jcm for sure, and i seem to recall the concert scene, a marshall logo (on a fullstack, maybe 2 next to eachother) in the background......
                    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                    Crate VC-3112
                    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                    Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Keep in mind that whatever is actually onscreen doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what was recorded on the soundtrack (they sync that sh!t up in post production).

That said, it definitely sounds like an SG (or similar Gibson with humbucker) through a cranked pre-JCM (cleaner) Marshall.

And the SG in the movie if I'm not mistaken was not a 61 re-issue, but a genuine '68 with the vibrola removed (you can see the holes where the old bridge was).

Peace!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                      buggjuice.net
                      MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
                        Keep in mind that whatever is actually onscreen doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what was recorded on the soundtrack (they sync that sh!t up in post production).

That said, it definitely sounds like an SG (or similar Gibson with humbucker) through a cranked pre-JCM (cleaner) Marshall.

And the SG in the movie if I'm not mistaken was not a 61 re-issue, but a genuine '68 with the vibrola removed (you can see the holes where the old bridge was).

Peace!

Stole the words out of my mouth.

Comment

Working...
                        X