Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am now a man! VOX/Marshall

here's my new rig! Ain't she a bute?
    Last edited by Indie P Bass; 05-14-2004, 11:17 PM.
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Re: I am now a man! VOX/Marshall

Very nice! That Vox looks so puny compared to that Marshall half stack though

Bet it sounds great!
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I got some advice for you. Don't tell or show all of your friends about your gear.
      Now, you're at a point where you've got a lot to lose. Be careful. The thread about robbing me gear reminded me of that fact. It's not your friends....it's your friend's friends, usually. Keep it quiet.

But, I gotta say, that's a great setup! You're practically done with the GAS trip. Now, if you want anything, it's a simple matter of selling/trading up. I want that Vox.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Oh my god, that Vox is so sweet, it's insane. it cost me 1459, but it's still under warranty and it's about... 4 months old. It's a killer clean channel. How do I keep this set up secret? I'm gonna use it at shows. The Vox is my clean channel and the Marshall my distorted.

Comment

AC30TB? Beautiful. I am sure that it sounds great. Very cool.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Gonna play bass through that?

Very Very nice.

Comment

Gear Jonser, I was wondering if you could re-itterate your story about gear theft. I can't recall it or find it on the board. Thanks.

And, back to the amps. I'm using a Boss AB-2 switch to switch between 'em. It's an awsome combo or sound, I LOVE IT! And the AC-30 has two awsome tones. The brilliant and normal are almost 2 completely differant sounds, but I just can't appreciate the high-gain input... it's kind'a wierd.

Comment

to make the vox more macho, grab a 2X12 and throw it underneath....
                Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                Crate VC-3112
                Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                Fender Bassman 60

Comment

but, the vox doesn't have an extension speaker out... I'd have to hardwire the cabinet into the vox.... that would be awkward.

Anyway, me being a man, now I need advice on being a man. I'm concerned with tubes.... when will I know to replace them? And is replacing them easy? or should I take it in for a retubing?

Comment

Rule of thumb that works for me - I get my gigging amps retubed and rebiased every year. General service gives it a once over at the same time.

Replacing pre-amp tubes is easy. Just swap them over. Not so easy to replace power tubes yourself. For most amps you will need to re-set the bias, otherwise it wil sound crap as the tubes will run too hot or too cold, which can have other issues besides just sounding crap...

The bigger issue is that unless you know what you are doing in a tube amp you can kill yourself - and I'm not kidding!!! The filter capacitors, even when the amp is off contain enough charge to kill you unless you discharge them properly. In your case I would book it into a competent tech and pay the money - well worth it. I also do that as a matter of course if I buy a second hand Marshall or other tube amp...

Different tubes sound different (cleaner, dirtier, etc etc). My advice is find out about different ratings of preamp and power amp tubes (12ax7, 12au7 etc etc and EL34, 6550 etc etc) and decide which best suit suit. Then check out the different makers of tubes (Svetlana, EH, EI, Sovtek, etc etc)
                    'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
                      I need advice on being a man.
                      When a mommy and a daddy love each other very very much, they want to be close to each other....

Well anyway, I don't want to get into too many details, but I'm glad we had this talk, son.
                      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I'm still looking for your advice Gear Joneser

Comment

Working...
                        X