Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next guitar??

Guys,

How do you all approach the purchase of the next guitar because we all know it will happen sooner or later. I kind of feel like since I've bought my first LP, I want another. I always thought I'd be the kind to stear away from Gibson for a singlecut and goHamer or something but I can't deny the huge vibe I get from an LP. I was thinking eventually I'd even get another because I really want that Limited Edition Standard with the ebony fretboard.

Do you guys tend to find that one guitar that does it for you and buy variations or buy totally different guitars such as a Strat, SG, etc? I don't like Strats/G&Ls, etc as they just do nothing for me. I like the feel of a big substantial guitar but thought of an SG because I think they do have serious vibe and character but don't sound as big and bold as an LP. Hmmm, i keep coming back to my LP. I can't hel pit, I love them...always have.

One guitar I thought it would be nice to have again though is a Hamer Mirage because it plays like a Strat but feels way more substanial to me and sounds bigger. Cool guitar.

Just curioous how you guys approach new guitars. Do you try to go for a different feel, vibe, sound, or just stick with old faithful? For me that would be more LPs. LOL!

Re: Next guitar??

I try to cover all my bases, rather than purchasing several of the same guitar. Okay, I'll admit to only owning one guitar at the moment, although I'm currently shopping for #2. Here's what I've determined I need:

1 Floyd Rose guitar - my Wolfgang

1 Les Paul-style guitar - in the market for a Hamer Studio

1 Strat-style guitar with 3 single coils - probably go the Warmoth route

1 Telecaster with P-90's - again, a Warmoth idea

1 Hollowbody - PRS Hollowbody or Hamer Newport, to be purchased when I start making the big money

1 acoustic

1 bass - a used Peavey T-40 for $250 is a hard deal to pass up...just got outbid on one last week
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
      I try to cover all my bases, rather than purchasing several of the same guitar. Okay, I'll admit to only owning one guitar at the moment, although I'm currently shopping for #2. Here's what I've determined I need:

1 Floyd Rose guitar - my Wolfgang

1 Les Paul-style guitar - in the market for a Hamer Studio

1 Strat-style guitar with 3 single coils - probably go the Warmoth route

1 Telecaster with P-90's - again, a Warmoth idea

1 Hollowbody - PRS Hollowbody or Hamer Newport, to be purchased when I start making the big money

1 acoustic

1 bass - a used Peavey T-40 for $250 is a hard deal to pass up...just got outbid on one last week
      I have a Les Paul but could not vibe at all with my Hamer Studio. I like the way my LP plays and sounds more than the Studio.....the Stuido has the thickness of the LP but lacked the overall body and bigness in the tone. Mine was all mahogany. Just me?

I really have no desire for a strat though. I pick them up in store and put them right back, There are about 100 guitars I'd rather own. Not to be mean or rude, they just do nothing for me and I owned a strat in the late 80s.

The Hamer Mirage is the closest I'd get to a Strat and I actually may get one. I still can't warm up to SGs because of the weird feel.

I could be happy with two or three LPs and live happily ever after assuming each was different, an ebony fretboard for example.

That said, I am interested to try a Dean Hardtail and to spend more time with a PRS McCarty. I can't jive with the Custom 22 becaus eit feels to small or something. The McCarty feels beefier to me. More at home.

Comment

I'm really into the Grosh Bent Top Custom. I've got some gear to sell to get it, but for "my" tone, it's essential. Best playing and sounding guitar I've ever played, so needless to say, it has made quite an impact.

In a few weeks, I'll be selling my Gibson Les Paul Standard if anyone is interested in a sweet LP. Need to buy a digital camera first so that I can get lots of nice pictures though
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Every guitar I've put together (I've got 3 Warmoth's, and a custom Tele on the way) has gone for a completely different sound and look. Basically, I think about what kind of sound I'd like to achieve with my next guitar, then determine which pickups will best help me achieve that tone, then I select woods that will complement that tone, then I decide other cosmetic things (type of finish, what color pickup bobbins, hardware color, etc).
          -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
          I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

i dream, and keep on dreaming. i also play alot, and decide what i like and what i dont like........so far ive found i like gibson, guild, deanusa, hamer, and prs hollowbodies....also highway 1 and used late 70's strats, and mid-early 90's paul studios. also tele's, and 12 string acoustics, and amps.....

dream on, dream on, dream untill you dreams come true - that just about sums it up...
            Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
            Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
            Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
            Crate VC-3112
            Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
            Fender Bassman 60

Comment

I am wondering how much I will really gain by just waiting and saving for a Limted Edition LP with the Ebony board over my standard LP. I'd love one though. I am a lot like guys like Zakk Wylde and John Sykes in that once I got my LP I knew there was nothing else that would do it for me. Now, if only I could play like those guys.

I rememebr seeing Rush last year and Alex was playing LPs, SGs, Teles, PRSs and maybe a Strat? Anyway, his best tones were fro mthe LPs and then the PRS models. I just have a thing for thick mahogany axes. What can I say.

Comment

I like the sound and comfort of LPs. I have 2 LP copies and one real LP. I think my next axe will have a strat style body but with humbuckers. I'm thinking either a Dean USA hardtail or PRS. Speaking of hardtails; I always thought the upper horn was ugly and big. Well I played one last week and it must just be the photos that make the horn look to big. Granted the horn is larger but it is much more attractive in person. Killer axes.

J
                Low wattage rocks!
                Bumbox Lead 1
                Orange Tiny Terror
                Vox 120VTH
                ----------------------
                Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

It kinda depends on what you have, need and what your tastes are.
                  Personally I'm not that thrilled about having 2 of the same type guitars as they also need maintanance which costs money. Both guitars may sound alike and give the same kind of vibe. If you are comfortable with that, then just buy another one and you'll have more of the same which can be a good thing (always a backup, just in case) or a bit too much of the same. Depends on how you look at it. A different kind of guitar will give you a different vibe, sound and could be a nice refreshing point of view. Might inspire you to play some different stuff. Different guitars for different moods.
                  In the end the choice is yours to make.
                  Maybe a double cut LP is an option? Or a PRS? There is always a middle road.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
                    It kinda depends on what you have, need and what your tastes are.
                    Personally I'm not that thrilled about having 2 of the same type guitars as they also need maintanance which costs money. Both guitars may sound alike and give the same kind of vibe. If you are comfortable with that, then just buy another one and you'll have more of the same which can be a good thing (always a backup, just in case) or a bit too much of the same. Depends on how you look at it. A different kind of guitar will give you a different vibe, sound and could be a nice refreshing point of view. Might inspire you to play some different stuff. Different guitars for different moods.
                    In the end the choice is yours to make.
                    Maybe a double cut LP is an option? Or a PRS? There is always a middle road.
                    I definitely understand that, but I have a strange desire for a Limited Edition LP with the ebony fretboard.

I currently have a Standard with 50s neck.

Comment

my next guitar is going to be the fender lite ash tele
                      '05 Gibson SG Standard
                      '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                      PRS IRW McCarty
                      '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                      82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

More Kramers and one Wolfie more.
                        And a Tele.

Comment

I go for one of everything.....1 Les Paul, 1 Tele, 1 Strat (okay, I have 2 of those), 1 SG (oops, guess there's a couple of those, too), 1 Dean Z, 1 ES-135, 1 steel string acoustic, 1 classical, 1 twelve-string, you get the picture...
                          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Yeah, I try to cover my basses sound wise - you never know what sound you might be called on to produce.

You could get a nice H-S-H guitar. Grosh, Suhr, Melancon, etc. Beautiful guitars

Comment

I have a lightweight, one piece, air-dried alder tele body on the way from USA Custom Guitars ...my first order from them. (thanks, Tommy!) The neck is coming sometime later.

When I visited the SD factory, I asked the question, "What does Seymour like in a tele?", and that's what's going in that guitar - an "SWD Custom" set ... a hot, tapped bridge, and a hot neck pickup, with 5 way switching.

the guitar is more or less to modern Fender specs - a 22 fret maple/ rosewood neck, 10" radius, 6150 frets, Schaller mini tuners, and a six piece Gotoh bridge.

I plan on doing the nitro finish myself, which will be something of a new adventure. After seeing Serdito's and Fatty's projects, though, I'm feeling a little inspired.
                              "music heals"
                              facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X