warmoth guitar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warmoth guitar question

how much of a tone differance is it to have picups direct mounted to a guitar rather than under a pickgaurd in a routed out space. how will it affect the tone of the pick up? what will it add, more base or treble or sustain or volumn? And what about quarter sawn necks some jazz guy was telling me how great they are but he never said why. we all know about maple and rosewood tonal tendancies but what will a quartersawn neck do to those tone tendancies? warmoth offers them so there must be some demand. p.s. every one should check out tattood carrots warmoth built guitar its very nice. -thnx

Re: warmoth guitar question

Quartersawn maple refers more to the stability of the wood than the tone. I'm not sure of the exact technical explanation (something to do with the wood grain), but quartersawn maple is more stable than it's flatsawn counterpart.
    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

fatty is right on
      quarters sawn woods have thr grain running in a different direction than flat saw and they are less prone to warpage
      thus, desireable
      Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
      Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
      www.gaugeguitars.com
      Cheers!

Comment

would this make it more dense than a regular maple wood neck I wonder?

Comment

I think the reason it might be more expensive is because you get less usable wood out of a piece of maple if you quartersaw it as opposed to flatsawing it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
          -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
          I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

thnx for the info you guys, any body know about the direct mount pickups verses pick ups mounted under a pick gaurd?

Comment

fatty's on the ball again
              quarter sawn wood is achieved by essentially cuttin pizza slices out of a log (very deep slices)
              this is much less efficient then sliding it in layers
              wish i could explain better, but fatty is right about costs

as for directly mounted pickups
              pickups detect string vibration (which is altered by the wood combination of the guitar upon which the strings vibrate. that being said, the vibration of the pickups (what dirct mounting is supposed to accomplish) does not effect (IMHO) the string vibrations being detected by the picups

does that make sense
              Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
              Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
              www.gaugeguitars.com
              Cheers!

Comment

i have the neck pickups in all of my teles mounted directly into the wood and the bridge pickup is then mounted to the bridge. I think the tone is a little more full sounding but i really can't compare it any more. I do not have the same pickup in the neck position of anything else to compare it to. I did have a tele at one time with a pickguard mounted pickup but i changed it to a humbucker, so again i have no direct comparison. I don't think it could add any more sustain to the guitar but i do think it adds something since the pickup is also resonating with the wood of the body as it vibrates with the strings.

I haven't experienced any more feedback with a direct mounted pickup. I would say if you are going with humbuckers then you should just use the mounting rings. i think it looks better and is probably easier than direct mounting the pickups. If you are doing a tele then i would direct mount the neck pickup and if you are doing single coils like a strat then just mount them in a pickguard. You can't go wrong with the traditional ways, they are tested over and over again and produce some good tones.

I think it really comes down to the way you want it to look.
                Cleveland Guitars

Comment

hey you guys, thanx so much for the info. its nice to know there is always some one out there that has experiance that can give solid advice.

Comment

Send you order to Warmoth in writing !

Let the buyer beware of jerks like GREG who work at warmoth!
                    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                    X