Epiphone quality...has it improved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone quality...has it improved?

Does anyone know if Epiphone's quality has improved recently? I played an Epi Les Paul yesterday and was quite impressed by it. I believe it was the standard model, but I never played a standard Epi LP like this one before. And the pickups didn't seem that bad either (but for the price you would pay for it, a set of Duncan's wouldn't hurt). For $500, I think its a good deal for someone wanting a LP but can't shell out the cash. What do you guys think?
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Re: Epiphone quality...has it improved?

My son has a 2yr old Epi LP Standard that is a darn nice guitar. Great playability/action, the stock p/u's aren't too shabby either. The only problem(s) was a kind of cheesy p/u switch that was replaced early on..and a crackly tone pot.Still very good instrument for the price with a few minor tweeks.
    You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
    - Frank Zappa

Comment

MY epi rocked after a set of duncans ( even be4 that it still rocked).

Comment

After searching for a Gibson LP or PRS Singlecut I bought a Korean Epi LP Standard. Couldn't bring myself to lay out $2K for a guitar, worth it or not. I have owned 2 other Epi LPs in the past and by far this one is superior, comes with Grover tuners and all the electronics, particularly the switch, are better quality. I did replace the pickups with Duncan Alnico Pro IIs, not that I found the original pups to be a problem. The only thing I could wish for is a bit meatier neck, other than that it performs great!

Comment

Epi's are really great guitars. If you want a guitar that is loaded with Grovers and even cheaper than Epi's that is also pretty high quality (in some cases better), check out the Agile Les Pauls at Rondo Music.
          Watch My Videos
          Photography
          www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
          "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

I love my Epi. In my opinion, if you don't wanna shell out all your dough, drop a good $500 bucks on one of these suckers. The best money you'll ever spend.

Comment

I had an Epi LP Standard for years and years and it never steered me wrong. I think there are really solid Epis and there are definitely crappier ones, depending on how much you are willing to spend. I knew a guy whos Epi constantly went out of tune. Mine never did that... I think if you get a Standard, Custom, or Elitist model you're much better off than Specials and Studios.

But overall, Epis are great bang for the buck.
              It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
              - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Glad to hear all you guys love your Epi LP's! I've got an Epi SG (G-400 model), I got it for $200. Put a Duncan Custom in it and it sounds great. However I feel that the quality of my SG compared the LP I played were completely different.
                -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
                Vox VT15
                Washburn D10SCE
                Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

i only paid attention to Epis since they have Gibson Pickups in them. the Elite range is the better offering & after trying one, i'd recommend it as a very good first guitar.
                  Psychic Horns

Comment

The new Epi's have all improved - Les Paul Std, Std Plus & the Black Beauty 3 (Custom).

All of them have improved on the consistency of the build and whilst they are all different to the real McCoy they all will give you something that is every bit as good - if you don't want to pay mega bucks for them. The pups have also been improved and also the general feel and playability about them. I think Gibson have had to up their game as they have been losing a lot to other makers.
                    Normans Guitars

Comment

I think the epiphone elitist models are very well made guitars and play amazingly, BUT i cannto justify the price they charge for them. With the price of a custom epiphone elitist model, you could save up a bit more and buy a studio gibson or even your inclined a bit more and a gibson classic. But in terms of quality its a good axe and would definately play well.
                      Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I keep thinking I need a Gibson LP or Heritage LP cuz for so many years Ive listened to people knock EPIs...My Epi Ace Frehley never goes out of tune, looks good (Black flame maple) and came stock with 3 Dimarzio Super Distortions. The 3 way switch went bad and I replaced it, but my Gibson Explorer was delivered to me with the switch not working and Ive had to replace the switch on my RG570 and strat. Its just a high wear item. But the LP plays good, and I keep trying to justify buying another LP, but I cant.. This one sounds great on everything Ive ever recorded with it.. Only thing I can complain about is the super D in the neck is too much. Im putting a PAF Pro in it like the Gibby version
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                        X