banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone looking for an Entry-Level Martin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone looking for an Entry-Level Martin?

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

I know it's the evil empire of GC and MF, but hey, this might be one that would force you to deal with them.

They've commissioned Martin to take the all-mahogany D-15 and add a spruce top to it, plus some tortoise shell binding and such.

I'm not totally sure where it's made... US? Far East? Do they make any martins in the far east?

Either way, spurce tops seem to be the way to go if you're looking for a bright snappy acoustic, combine that with the mahogany on the back and sides (thin finish of some type) and it looks like they might have a real winner.

Especially for less than $750.

The regular all mahogany D-15's are pretty cool, very simple, very dark guitars to my ears. Big negative is that the pickguard on the normal D-15s is a piece of film or something. Interesting guitar though.

Scary part is they are backordered until 7/1/04.

But, it's worth a shot and I'm going to give one a try even though I swore not to deal with MF again. Hope I don't regret it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Anyone looking for an Entry-Level Martin?

nice one. I dont know why, but I never bonded with Martins. I love the tone other folks get from 'em but, when I play one, it just dont sound right. I could strum a Seagull all day though.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

all martins are made in usa, but they are starting to make some of the cheapest (not all solid wood ones, like DM or DX or wahtever) in mexico starting about now i'd say.

scott, did u buy it yet? if u didnt hold off for a minute. u can get a much better deal on a regular d-15 by going to a certain site. martin authorizes 40% of list price, MF doesnt do that. u can get a normal D-15 for 520 if i recall, yes u lose some of the nicieties, but i played both (the MF and the normal) and i went with a normal one. i just liked it better. pm me for the site.
      Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
      Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
      Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
      Crate VC-3112
      Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
      Fender Bassman 60

Comment

I was waiting to talk to them about the back order status. I'd rather have the sprucetop, but I'm not going to wait until August.

Guitar Trader has the regular D-15 for 589. Not too shabby. Plus, my buddy there always gives me a better price.

Also, BNR, PM is sent.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

589 may be the price..... to find what martin authorizes any and every martin dealor to sell any and every martin guitar. go to the martin website, get to the price list, and take off 40%. if i recall the site says 970ish for a D-15, so 589 seems dead on. i believe the site is called maury's music, and i think everly brothers will do it too if you ask. u could prbly bargain mf down using the factory authroized 40%, but that involved dealing with them.....and its a different guitar, so i dunno. ill check the martin guitar forum, thats where the site is, and send you a pm when im sure....

the umgf (unnoficial martin gutair forum) is a great place to check out, ppl arent as nice, but not bad, and they know their martins and how to get a good deal, D-15 is a great guitar, i love mine
          Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
          Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
          Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
          Crate VC-3112
          Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
          Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Before I found my D-28, I was using a Martin DR, which is the laminated rosewood backed guitar, very similar to the DM, but FAR better sounding. That model is actually the best playing/sounding Martin for the money IMO. I brought home the D-28, played it side by side with the DR and honestly couldn't decide. It was like apples and oranges. I love Martins! They just have the tone. Even the midline Martins are well worth buying.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
            X