Speaker cabinet help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker cabinet help

Alright, after a month and a half of working and saving up, I finally have enough money to buy my first 4x12 cab to go with my DSL! I was thinking of buying a custom cabinet from Avatar, but I haven't played through one before. Would I be better off finding a used, similarly appointed Marshall? What would be the better choice?

In addition, if I were to get the Avatar cab, what speakers should I put in it for a good metal sound?
    Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
    Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
    Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
    Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
    Marshall G15CDR
    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    Marshall 1960A
    Boss ME-50
    ...and just a little talent.

Re: Speaker cabinet help

Are you sure that you need a 4x12 cab. A 2x12 will probably be much more than enough than what you will need. If you decide to go with the 4x12 marshalls can be found very cheep used. You should not have to spend more than 350-400 at the most. I would recomend getting a 2x12 and avatar looks like a very good choice. For like 298 you can get their custom cab with a v30 and g12H which I have only heard great things about. For another 40 dollars you can get any speaker/wiring combination that you want. I like 2x12s because they are MUCH easear to transport and they are almosed as loud as the 4x12. Just my 2 cents.
    Voodoo Amps 50 and 100 watt V-Plex heads
    Voodoo Amps Texas Heat 1x12 combo
    Longhorn Amps "The Barn Owl" 1x12 combo
    1981 JCM 800 2204 Head
    1984 (Bogner Modified) JCM 800 4103 2X12 Combo
    ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with WCR Cherrybucker Set
    ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 60
    ESP Viper Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 85
    ESP Esquire Custom Shop (Jeff Beck)
    Gibson SG Standard with WCR American Steele Set

Comment

every one is gunna have an opinion on this one but I'll give you some realy good advice. take the head your gunna youse and go down to guitar center or what ever in your area, tell the guy you wanna buy a 4/12 cab and start playing cabs with different speakers in them. I did it that way and found a speaker that realy sounded good with my guitar and amp head for the tones I wanted. It turns out I liked the celestion vintage 30's cuz they gotta bright top end sound (nice for cleans) and tight bottom end (nice for power chords) a company that makes alot of speaker configurations in there cabinet line is mesa boogie and marshal. that will at least give you some idea of tone. also high end amp companys on their web sights have sound clips. see what the big shots are useing in thier setups as well as your favorite players on thier websights. then shop for a well made cabinet or used well made cabinet that already has the speakers you like. avator has been mentioned on this sight before many times as makeing great cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by heavydutysg135
        Are you sure that you need a 4x12 cab. A 2x12 will probably be much more than enough than what you will need. If you decide to go with the 4x12 marshalls can be found very cheep used. You should not have to spend more than 350-400 at the most. I would recomend getting a 2x12 and avatar looks like a very good choice. For like 298 you can get their custom cab with a v30 and g12H which I have only heard great things about. For another 40 dollars you can get any speaker/wiring combination that you want. I like 2x12s because they are MUCH easear to transport and they are almosed as loud as the 4x12. Just my 2 cents.
        I'm playing through a 2x12 with my DSL now and I hate the tone. I've taken my head to different guitar stores and played through 4x12s and I liked the tone a lot more.
        Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
        Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
        Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
        Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
        Marshall G15CDR
        Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
        Marshall 1960A
        Boss ME-50
        ...and just a little talent.

Comment

The Avatar will sound just as good as a marshall cab. You cant go wrong with Vintage 30's.
          Also dont forget about the new eminence patriot and recoat series speakers...
          ---RCM78

Comment

Id just get a used marshall cab, they are pretty cheap. Even if it doesnt come with the speakers you want you can change them over easily enough, then you get the whole marshall vibe too
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
              Id just get a used marshall cab, they are pretty cheap. Even if it doesnt come with the speakers you want you can change them over easily enough, then you get the whole marshall vibe too

Why pay for a name, especially if the cab doesnt have the speakers you want. Last time I checked that white lettering didnt make a difference in tone...
              Last edited by JfromHouston; 05-16-2004, 07:58 PM.
              Low wattage rocks!
              Bumbox Lead 1
              Orange Tiny Terror
              Vox 120VTH
              ----------------------
              Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
              Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Originally posted by JfromHouston
                Why pay for a name, especially if the cab doesnt have the speakers you want. Last time I checked that white lettering didnt make a difference in tone...
                :******:

Comment

I knew people would have an oppinion on this. sounds like you have narrowed it down already to a 4/12 cab. they do have nice thick tight base, good luck and let us know what you came up with

Comment

Working...
                  X