How do I change guitar pups myself??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I change guitar pups myself??

I'd like to learn how to change pups on my own instead of running to my tech everytime I need it done. This would be a good topic for the Vault area.

Re: How do I change guitar pups myself??

I agree on the vault idea.

Detailed pics of every part of the process, and for various pickups and guitars. Tips to make things easier would be good too.
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

Originally posted by darkshadow54321
      I agree on the vault idea.

Detailed pics of every part of the process, and for various pickups and guitars. Tips to make things easier would be good too.
      There's info in The Vault by me on step by steps for replacing strat pickups...

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

not just for strats tho, we should get people to ACTUALLY PUT schematics and what not for LP and strat-STYLE guitars with 2 humbuckers.
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
          not just for strats tho, we should get people to ACTUALLY PUT schematics and what not for LP and strat-STYLE guitars with 2 humbuckers.
          Agreed...It's very time consuming...Since you have some good ideas,why not do the next installment of how to install pickups in a ????????

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
            Indeed, I'm looking to change pups out on my guitar with two humbuckers. Although the strat pup change tips are going to come in handy for me very soon. So, thanks for those STRATDELUXER97.

Comment

Originally posted by Skullkrusher
              Indeed, I'm looking to change pups out on my guitar with two humbuckers. Although the strat pup change tips are going to come in handy for me very soon. So, thanks for those STRATDELUXER97.
              You're very welcome...Just contact me if you need my help and I'll help you as much as humanly possible during your install...

John

Comment

We need detailed pictures (even the ones which show the bruises & swearing!!) of how this all went so that we can all avoid the pitfalls!!

By usual plug for www.photobucket.com for hosting pics/albums etc etc - all free.

But a very good idea - can someone also explain how to change pups on a Hamer Monaco SuperPro as well?
                Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
                  We need detailed pictures (even the ones which show the bruises & swearing!!) of how this all went so that we can all avoid the pitfalls!!

By usual plug for www.photobucket.com for hosting pics/albums etc etc - all free.

But a very good idea - can someone also explain how to change pups on a Hamer Monaco SuperPro as well?
                  Hello buddy....Check with Lew on your questions,as he likes and has owned the Hamer guitars...I'm sure Lew would be delighted to help you through it..

John

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                    Hello buddy....Check with Lew on your questions,as he likes and has owned the Hamer guitars...I'm sure Lew would be delighted to help you through it..

John
                    John,

Hi there how you been doing hope that all is well. I know Lew has been through the change of pups on a SuperPro, but I was hoping that he would take the subtle hint and do some pics!! Because I am b*ggered (british term) as to how you can do it (see the link below).

Front of guitar:

http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/...o/M_SPro_4.jpg

Back of guitar:

http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/...o/M_Spro_8.jpg

Norman
                    Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
                      John,

Hi there how you been doing hope that all is well. I know Lew has been through the change of pups on a SuperPro, but I was hoping that he would take the subtle hint and do some pics!! Because I am b*ggered (british term) as to how you can do it (see the link below).

Front of guitar:

http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/...o/M_SPro_4.jpg

Back of guitar:

http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/...o/M_Spro_8.jpg

Norman
                      Common sense tells me you'd have to have the switch and the volume control out of the guitar so you have access to where the wires solder...You'd have to feed the wires from each pickup over to where the wires solder at the switch and the pots...There's no rear access to your controls and your guitar sought of fits into the 335 category in that it'd be a pain in the rearend,but not impossible! I would tape some small wires to the existing pickup leads so I'd have a way to feed the new pickup wires over to where they need to go..

John

Comment

I just leave it to the pros, take my guitar to a tech and have them do it, I peronslaly know im not capable of installing pick ups, or anything of those modifications at all
                        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                        X