• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short scale vs. long scale

... and everything in between.

discuss:
    what are the benefits of each.
    any downsides having the guitar in long (or short) scale.
    tonal characteristics of diferent scale lenghts.
    strong or weak points...

Re: short scale vs. long scale

Originally posted by Davey
    ... and everything in between.

discuss:
    what are the benefits of each.
    any downsides having the guitar in long (or short) scale.
    tonal characteristics of diferent scale lenghts.
    strong or weak points...
    If we were to use the same string brand and same string gauges...let's compare a strat and an SG for example since I Own both..Not taking into effect the wood type,pickups,and all the differences between the 2 guitars of course..

Long scale...Tighter overall string tension,harder to bend strings,tighter tones,strings vibrate less because of the longer scale...Chimey bell like string tones...

Short scale..Less tension on the strings,easier to bend strings,strings vibrate more with less string and neck tension exertion,tone isn't as tight as above,warmer or softer string tones..

These are just some generalizations and I don't feel 1 is better than the other....They're just different...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

i dont want to get it to 'which one is better' you cant. one likes one type, some other prefers the other, etc. i just want to know what the diferences of each type are =)

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
        i dont want to get it to 'which one is better' you cant. one likes one type, some other prefers the other, etc. i just want to know what the diferences of each type are =)
        Hmmm....I really don't know how else to explain this other than from a tonal difference stand point? Maybe others will chime in...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

it's ok =) i got the general idea of it now. i hope someone else will come in here also

Comment

I like to think that a shorter scale will work better for rock, because the strings are bendable and it takes some brightness away from an already bright tone. I like the inbetween-ish 25.1 scale tho.
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I think more than anything else it's a matter of what you feel the most happy with I play both but I prefere my Les Paul it just feel's And sounds right to me so it's also a matter of taste
              This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
              Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
              Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
              Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

Working...
              X