Epiphone Les Paul Standard vs. Fender Standard Telecaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Les Paul Standard vs. Fender Standard Telecaster

As of right now i have a Fender Tele, i like it especially the clean tones you get out of it. for my next guitar i was thinking about geting another fender tele of an epiphone standard les paul which do you guys think it better. personnaly i never liked the epiphone les paul's muddy tone but what do you guys think.

-thanks,
    ben

Re: Epiphone Les Paul Standard vs. Fender Standard Telecaster

:|

well if you dont like the muddy tone just dont get it lol :P

what are you looking for out of this new guitar?

and what amp are you using?
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I own a 2001 Epi Les Paul Standard with the 'designed by Gibson' pickups. I wouldn't characterise the pickups as 'muddy'. The finish, tuners, and playabilty are terrific. I did replace the bridge pickup with a SD 'Pearly Gate', but I was looking for a more 'twangy-bright' tone than the normal 'warm' Les Paul tone, which the stock bridge pickup sounded more like.

The Epi thru both a solid-state VOX Pathfinder 15R and tube Traynor YCV20 has a very good, full-defined tone on both clean and gain/od settings. FWIW, I do maximize the 'treble' settings on both the amps and guitar, and generally turn the 'bass' way down, which would be extreme for single-coils, but with humbuckers gives me the sound I like.

So, to answer your request for opinions on the Epi Les Paul Standard, personnally I'm very happy with mine. It plays real well, and I just tweek my amps till I get the tone I'm happy with. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by MichaelBehuniak; 05-16-2004, 03:25 PM.

Michael Behuniak
      Seattle, WA USA

Comment

Originally posted by tiredofben
        As of right now i have a Fender Tele, i like it especially the clean tones you get out of it. for my next guitar i was thinking about geting another fender tele of an epiphone standard les paul which do you guys think it better. personnaly i never liked the epiphone les paul's muddy tone but what do you guys think.

-thanks,
        ben
        I have an Epi LP and a Strat. There are things I play that need to be played on the LP and things that need to be played on the Strat. I wouldn't get an Epi LP though. I have replaced everything but the body and neck in it. Pups, wiring, pots,nut, tuning machines and bridge. It sounds and plays pretty good now. You would be happier looking around for a good deal on a Gibson LP in the end since to make the Epi LP into a player you'll wind up with a pretty good chunk of change in it anyway. At least that was my experience.

Comment

Save save save, and get a LP standard! Otherwise you'd lose money on the epi, and always itch for the real deal!
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Teles and Les Pauls are such completely different guitars.... I can't even begin to make a recommendation.

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
            - David St. Hubbins

Comment

^^^ that was good.

since you have one you might want to try the LP. i know you will want to change pickups and all that in the lp but i think you would have to do that with the fender too. both guitars have their applications so it all depends on what you want to play. I have a lot of single coil guitars but i always have my bluebird (59/59) to take care of the les paul like tones.
              Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                Teles and Les Pauls are such completely different guitars.... I can't even begin to make a recommendation.

I knew someone would make the disparate fruit analogy. There was never a clear example than this.

Comment

Working...
                X