No announcement yet.

tell me something about this cabinet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me something about this cabinet...

the marshall jcm900 1960 4x12. how well would it match up with a single rectifier? and are there any good/bad things you have to say about this cabinet?
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Re: tell me something about this cabinet...

Funny I was wondering the same thing lately. Seems to go for great prices 2nd hand. I saw them going for 400.
    They have GT12 - 75Watt Celestion speakers. Those any good?

Bump!

Comment

Are they not made out of particle wood??
      Bad if so.

Comment

I've always preferred the look of buying the matching cabinet for your head. The 1960A has GT-75's, which have a lot of bass and treble and a real grindy tone. They sound good, and are appropriate for most modern Marshalls, although I prefer the 1960AV, which has Vintage 30's and a more growly midrange bark.

For your amp, I'd hold out till I found a used Mesa Rec Cabinet with whatever speakers they put in them. IMO it'll just look better, and also give the true sound your amp was designed for. Roughly, 1/3 of your tone is the cabinet you're using, so stay with Mesa, if you have a Mesa head. There are so many used Marshall and Mesa cabs, that you don't need to jump on the first one that comes along. Wait for the Mesa cab.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
          Are they not made out of particle wood??
          Bad if so.
          I just bought one off of my friend, and when I dissected it, I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was Baltic/marine birch plywood. It also came with English-made Celestions. I don't know how old it is though. The G1275's are a little stiff-sounding to my ears, I'd like to try any of the following: V30's, greenbacks, or some Eminence Redcoats.

Comment

Ah that was nice
            Particlewood is awful

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
              Ah that was nice
              Particlewood is awful
              why is particle wood so bad?
              gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
              '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
              mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
              marshall 1960A 4x12
              and a few pedals

Comment

cos particle wood is basically glued together sawdust, with heavier woods you get much better resonance which makes different cabs made from different woods sound different..also the fact the its so light and brittle the cab won't hangle much bass and will vibrate uncontrollably when you reach a certain (usually quiet low) volume..

same way a guitar made from mahogany will sound much better then a guitar made from say plywood.. also cabs like that wont be very reliable either..
                Marshall JVM 410C
                Mesa Boogie DC-3
                ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

gearjoneser dead on right on this. with that amp I realy liked the vintage 30 celestions. they will bring out your gain very nice and have a tight bottom end for power chords-just my opinion but I have a recto and Its almost the same amp just reverb added to it.

Comment

Originally posted by muttonchopsrule
                    the marshall jcm900 1960 4x12. how well would it match up with a single rectifier? and are there any good/bad things you have to say about this cabinet?
                    I play those cabs don't like it that much. I compared to a Mesa Recto and the mesa wins
                    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
                    X