Check out this amp idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out this amp idea!

I have no clue whether or not for sure this is a great amp, but the concept behind it is really good. Read up about it on the site. It's for amp modelers to sound more "real" like tube amps. Does anyone know of aybody know anything about this company. I want to have a million tones from one amp, yet retain the tube sound. This looks like the best thing to that. What do you think? This guy's credentials look pretty impressive. Check out the artists he has worked with.http://www.atomicamps.com/products.html The only thing that I'm really wondering is how this will differ that much from just using a vetta amp. How will it be better through this atomic than the vetta?
    Last edited by presa_tito; 05-16-2004, 10:53 PM.

Re: Check out this amp idea!

sounds like a VERY cool idea.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I'm so glad this idea was spawned by an amp genious like Harry Kolbe, the "Soundsmith" This is the idea everyone's had since modelers came out.

I have to admit that I can get some pretty realistic tones from my Vox Valvetronix AD60 head through a good 2-12 or 4-12, but what modeling amps lack is fatness and touch responsiveness. As long as digital preamps are fed into SS amps, that will be the case. You can get the sounds, but you can't get the tube amp tone, because it sounds a lot narrower than a tube signal path. That's why I think this idea will blow away the Vetta or Vox. If Harry Kolbe is able to create a tube head that fits the POD Pro XT in it, he'll have something I'd want. It looks like his combo cabinetry is far better than the particle board or cheap plywood that all modeling amp companies still use, to cut cost. I believe that a preamp can be non tube, but the power section MUST be tube, if it's to sound as good as the best tube amps. The versatility will be unsurpassable. I'd keep my mind open to this new way of thinking.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

that looks VERY cool.... i'm suprised no one else has done this before.
        '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
        Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
        '66 Fender Bassman
        Fender Champion 600
        Fender Stage 100

Comment

Very interesting concept - plug in your guitar and then look for the controls , well they are'nt any, it will confuse guitar players no end .

Of course you then have to additionally buy the modeller (PodXt?) as well , so is it going to be a realsitic proposition or another failure? I hope that we can see this, but the cost is going to be expensive!!
          Normans Guitars

Comment

I'm not sure I get what the inovation is here.
            Take your favorite amp modeler, and run it into any tube amp, with all the controls set for clean. Then do your "tone" adjustments on the modeler box.

Is that it?

Edit: Also, it seems to me that this might be one of those areas where a good SS amp would fill the bill better, or at least, just as good. I might have to do a little experiment. I've got an old Crown D-150A lying around. Maybe I'll build it into a cabinet with a couple of 12's, and a nice slot to fit my J-Station, and see how it compares - soundwise.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-17-2004, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Yes, that's why I posted. I don't get why this tube amp will be better than a pod through a different tube amp. Gearjonser, can you explain for me? I guess somehow this atomic amp is specially designed for this job, but how???

Comment

Originally posted by presa_tito
                Yes, that's why I posted. I don't get why this tube amp will be better than a pod through a different tube amp. Gearjonser, can you explain for me? I guess somehow this atomic amp is specially designed for this job, but how???
                regular amps have preamp and power amp sections that color the sound... the problem with the pod going through many a tube amp power-section is the power amp will color the sound. Many solid state power amps give a cleaner sound, but with no tube it's sterile...

the thing with this amp is you're trying to get a warmer sound, a little tube sag, but nothing that changes the sound you're trying to go for...

Comment

Originally posted by UCSDBoy
                  regular amps have preamp and power amp sections that color the sound... the problem with the pod going through many a tube amp power-section is the power amp will color the sound. Many solid state power amps give a cleaner sound, but with no tube it's sterile...

the thing with this amp is you're trying to get a warmer sound, a little tube sag, but nothing that changes the sound you're trying to go for...
                  ahh, I see. Sounds great. I will have to wait and see what these cost to decide if they're worth getting. I'm pretty sure this guy will have concocoted something good if he precedes his reputation.

Comment

They all seem to be going for around this price. Now all I have to do is get some reviews to make sure this is a good unit. Not even a bad price for every amp tone ever created basically.
                    Atomic Reactor 112 Tube Amplifier Slave (18 Watts, 1x12 in.). 18 watts, all-tube Class A/B power. 2 x EL84 power tubes. Includes 1 x DS-1 docking system. Doe...

Comment

I found a review for it. http://www.instituteofnoise.com/L6/atomic.asp

Comment

its deinfitely been done b4. when i had a POD a few yrs back, i ran it into tube power amps. defintely warmed it up. great thig to have on the market, especially in combo form.

germ
                        Jeremy Ledford
                        Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                        Tone Shop

Comment

From looking at the tubes in it I would guess the 12ax7 is used for a tube preamp that feeds into the POD. You could probable do the same thing by getting something like this http://www.behringer.com/MIC100/index.cfm?lang=ENG and running it between your guitar and POD and then going out to a tube poweramp and speaker cabs. Although having everything in one package would be simpler to setup.

Comment

I hope Tech 21 Jumps on this bandwagon. I could never understand why
                            the company that pioneered tube Amp modeling built S.S. amps ??
                            You can get so close with a Sans Amp, But you not fooling anybody!!
                            The square wave transister sound still wins. I would
                            go one step further and add a tube recitofirer. To get a little sag.
                            I've still not gotten into the pod thing. I'll have to check into them.
                            But for now I'm content w/t my sans amp.
                            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

At home, mostly due to noise restrictions, I use the Vox Valvetronix AD60 head on the Bogner large 2-12. I've got it dialed in for all the Fender, Vox, Marshall, and Mesa tones. Since the concept of the Vox is that they took a tiny 12ax7 driven power section, and mated it to a big SS power section, you get the touch responsiveness and tubey character going to your speakers.

I actually pulled out the stock Sovtek 12AX7A and replaced it with the better sounding Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. I actually can tell a difference in the tone, but only slightly.
                              Now that I've got a small handful of those new GT 12AX7M's (Mullard copy), I may pop one of those into my modeling amp. I'd be really happy if it improved the tone, further.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X