banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does 'Relay Clicking' mean???Help please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does 'Relay Clicking' mean???Help please...

I had a question about true bypass and alt bypass modes with Line 6 DM-4 pedal,wrote a post to them and get the following reply...

'You can tell if the pedal is in true bypass or alternate bypass mode by watching
    the LEDs when the pedal is first powered up. If it is in alternate bypass mode,
    the LEDs will flash in sequence. You can also tell by listening to hear whether
    the relays click or not when you switch an effect on or off. The relays only
    click if the unit is in true bypass mode. True bypass is just that - a separate
    audio path that bypasses all of the electronics of the pedal for a completely
    uncolored signal. Alternate bypass just turns off the DSP, but the signal is
    still running through the internal electronics of the pedal.'

but what does this 'relay clicking' they're talking about when pressing the effects on&off...are they the switches clicking when I press I'm confused
    90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
    99' USA Fender Stratocaster
    96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
    79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Re: What does 'Relay Clicking' mean???Help please...

but what does this 'relay clicking' they're talking about when pressing the effects on&off...are they the switches clicking when I press I'm confused [/QUOTE]
    A relay is an electromagnetic switch in units and amps and the clicking sound is the arm moving between the contact points when the coil is energised or switched off. Solid state relay circuits do not normally make this noise as they have no moving parts.

Comment

What they're refering to is that, apparently, this unit has two "bypass" switches. A mechanical one, that you stomp to turn the unit effectively "off", and another, (the "alternate" bypass), that switches the "effect" on and off, as opposed the "pedal" on and off.

When using the alternate bypass, you'll hear a small relay "click" as you hit the foot switch. If you have the unit in "true" bypass mode, there won't be a "click" when you also hit the alt bypass.

In other words, its a simple way to tell whether or not you have the "true" bypass switch stomped.

Comment

thanks artie but you say it is in true bypass if they're not clicking but in the reply they say if the relays are clicking then the unit is in true bypass mode...which one is true???I only hear a clicking sound when I power on the unit not by pressing the switches...is that the clicking sound when powering up???
        79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

Ok, I see now. Apparently, they're using a relay to completely bypass the circuitry, as opposed to powering down the unit. So, they are correct, (obviously ), if you hear the relay "clicking", you're in "true-bypass" mode.

Comment

thanks a lot...I've figured it out now...I've switched to True bypass mode and hear the relays clicking alive & well ...

Comment

I'm not even sure if I believe Line 6's claim to be true bypass, even in that mode. I've done the A/B test with a straight cord, and found Line 6's to still suck the tone dry. I use the blue and green on my board, but put them on a loopbox, to remove them both from my signal path, when I'm not using them. Now, I can setup a combination on the two pedals, then click it in or out.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
              X