banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drop in Ibanez Floyd lo-TRS vibrato replacement (yes, I know, they're ****e!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop in Ibanez Floyd lo-TRS vibrato replacement (yes, I know, they're ****e!)

I was had over by a music shop some years ago (before I knew about this board!) who sold me a damp plasticene Ibanez Lo-trs vibrato unit and it was retrofitted with relatively wide pivot spacing.
    Does anyone know if the later Ibanez Floyds have the same baseplate (curve on the high E side, straight knife edge on low E side and the same spacing as the lotrs) but made of steel rather than mickey mouse metal and what the type is called?
    It's just that I don't want to glue wood inserts and re-rout (and the genuine Floyds have two cupped knife edges which requires perfectly centred posts).
    Any info would be much appreciated.

Re: Drop in Ibanez Floyd lo-TRS vibrato replacement (yes, I know, they're ****e!)

Originally posted by msplines
    I was had over by a music shop some years ago (before I knew about this board!) who sold me a damp plasticene Ibanez Lo-trs vibrato unit and it was retrofitted with relatively wide pivot spacing.
    Does anyone know if the later Ibanez Floyds have the same baseplate (curve on the high E side, straight knife edge on low E side and the same spacing as the lotrs) but made of steel rather than mickey mouse metal and what the type is called?
    It's just that I don't want to glue wood inserts and re-rout (and the genuine Floyds have two cupped knife edges which requires perfectly centred posts).
    Any info would be much appreciated.
    Imho, the main problem with the low-trash are the post diameter. The post standard TRS post spacing is 100% the same as the original floyd, but, seeing as they have a straight edge on the bass side, your retrofitter MAY have slacked whilst installing it, in which you couldnt just get a drill press and redrill, you'd have to plug and redrill. The floyd posts are 74.3mm apart IIRC.

The Gotoh floyd, afaik, has a bass knife edge that is straight. They're suppose to be damned good (EBMM uses them on their Axis I believe?), and after all, Gotoh DOES manufacture the very reputable Ibanez Edge system.

If your posts are the right spacing apart, I would go for the OFR. If they're not, look into the gotoh. Hell, you might even been able to fit an original Edge in there depending on your current rout.
    Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
    Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
    Carl Martin Rock Drive
    ISP Decimator
    BOSS DD-3
    Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

Re: Drop in Ibanez Floyd lo-TRS vibrato replacement (yes, I know, they're ****e!)

Originally posted by Jono_L
      Imho, the main problem with the low-trash are the post diameter. The post standard TRS post spacing is 100% the same as the original floyd, but, seeing as they have a straight edge on the bass side, your retrofitter MAY have slacked whilst installing it, in which you couldnt just get a drill press and redrill, you'd have to plug and redrill. The floyd posts are 74.3mm apart IIRC.

The Gotoh floyd, afaik, has a bass knife edge that is straight. They're suppose to be damned good (EBMM uses them on their Axis I believe?), and after all, Gotoh DOES manufacture the very reputable Ibanez Edge system.

If your posts are the right spacing apart, I would go for the OFR. If they're not, look into the gotoh. Hell, you might even been able to fit an original Edge in there depending on your current rout.
      Brilliant, that's just the info I need - I'll check it out when I get back from work.
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X