banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bruno Underground 30, Cowtipper, or Komet amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruno Underground 30, Cowtipper, or Komet amp?

Anyone have experience or opinions on these amps?

I'm asking for a friend, "Fretty Bender", since these are all off the radar for me ....

I know we've discussed Tony Bruno's amps here before. Looking at his site, it looks as if the Underground is his most popular amp, if that's any indication.

I'm sure the Komet is a great amp, but I sure don't know anyone who uses one.
    (OK, I heard Mark Knopfler uses one, but it's not like I know him.)

anyway, tonewise, my friend usually goes for a fusion tone like Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, etc ... but does have other type amps.

Thanks kindly
    "music heals"
    facebook

Re: Bruno Underground 30, Cowtipper, or Komet amp?

Not familiar with the Komet, but the Underground 30 and Cowtipper are awesome.

The Cowtipper is louder (not sure of the specs off the top of my head).

Bruno's reverb is the best reverb I have ever heard in any amp. Ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
    buggjuice.net
    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well the Underground 30 is an EL-84 amp and the Cowtipper is a 6L6 amp with a 15 inch speaker, I think, so it might have a tighter bottom for the sound "Fretty" is looking for. If he doesn't flinch at the high price tag, the Two Rock's are something he might consider. The Komet 60 is the ultimate Van Halen EL-34 tone, and the Komet Constellation 30 is supposedly the greatest EL-84 amp ever made, although I haven't messed with them. $3300 for a single channel amp head is just a tiny bit steep.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

thanks kindly for the insight

I've been encouraging "Fretty" to join the forum, since he's another joneser, but he's got his hands full with his company
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

I think there is someone on this forum who has had the pleasure of playing through one, and maybe even owning one for a brief period if i remember right, for a little amount of time. The komet 60 that is. The clips on the website are amazing!
          My Soundclick page.

Comment

I got to try out a Komet 60 at Guitar Center, of all places. I couldn't believe they had one in there! I have to say, I loved it! It's like the best vintage Marshall you've ever heard. Plus, it has a rotary knob on the chassis, which changes the bias in small increments, so you can get the tubes right where you want them. That's the coolest feature I've ever seen on an amp. Too bad they're $3000.

Hey Curly, is Fretty Bender his real name? Tell me it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Hey Curly, is Fretty Bender his real name? Tell me it's not.
              of course it's his real name, Mr. Joneser!!!

would I lie to you?????

hahahaha

I wondered about your Marshall analogy, 'cause I thought the Komet was a class A amp, like Ken's other designs, but going back and reading the article, it doesn't say specifically that it's a class A amp, so I'll defer to your superior gear knowledge again.

the emphasis on touch sensitivity is really attractive, and I agree, that adjustable bias feature is a little touch of genius
              Last edited by Curly; 05-18-2004, 07:37 AM.
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

I'd kill for a Komet!!!
                I believe the Cowtipper is a very high headroom amp.
                ---RCM78

Comment

I really thought hard about an Undergound 30 when I bought my Bad Cat. I just had a hard time spending that kind of cash on an amp that I could not play anywhere. The idea of flying to NY just to play the amps was a possibility, but I just didn't have time. So, I went with the best I could find to play and I played a ton of them. I liked the Bad Cat over the Komet. But, hard to go wrong in any way with any of those choices.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

thanks, Scott,

and thanks to the rest of you for the input

It's helped me a lot, 'cause I don't know much about these amps, except for what I've learned here.
                    "music heals"
                    facebook

Comment

Another amp I really want is a Badcat Hotcat 30 or 100 head on a 4-12.

Those actually are Class A, and are surprisingly tighter in the bottom end than I expected a Class A/tube rectifier amp to sound. I've even considered selling my Chieftain 2-12 combo to get that Badcat Halfstack, but I hold back.

IMO, nothing will every topple the Bogner Ecstasy, in my mind. Even if I had a Komet, Hotcat, or something similar, I'd still revert back to the Ecstasy. I've become spoiled by having the equivalent of 3 boutique quality amps in one head. Hard to walk away from.

Comment

I'm pretty impressed with the Bad Cat's, too.

My friend "Fretty", has a small combo I played recently. Very nice! I'd love to have a great Class A amp like that one day.
                        "music heals"
                        facebook

Comment

Sonny Landreth is using Komet amps. Not sure which model, though.
                          "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                          R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                          http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Working...
                          X