NGD PRS content never thought I’d say that lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Can't get Jimi or SRV Strat tones out of a PRS.
    With their coil tap and the right amp sound, it’s close enough for me. But that really wasn’t the point.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

With their coil tap and the right amp sound, it’s close enough for me. But that really wasn’t the point.
      I think you were right. People don't buy a PRS to get Jimi and SRV tones. They buy Strats for that.

If you picture a tree shaped like a Y, Gibson is the trunk and one of the limbs.

PRS is the other limb.

Except for the Strat vibrato on some models, I don't see much Fender in PRS. But I see and hear a lot of Gibson in PRS.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I think the scale length was a compromise between Gibson and Fender.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I think the scale length was a compromise between Gibson and Fender.
          25"

1/4" longer than a Les Paul.

1/2" shorter than a Strat.

Comment

Congrats Man-On-Moon for finding a guitar that you feel is a lot better than one you already had. That's the best part about new gear.

While that amber flametop color doesn't necessarily do much for you, in contrast, it's my top fav for a long time. I never pulled the trigger a PRS with that color because the neck shapes (that I have tried) have been too thick and wide - not comfortable for me, But your posting re-ignited my GAS for a PRS in that color, and I spent time yesterday reviewing the current PRS offerings with that color scheme. Discovered a newer model (the SE Paul's Guitar) that had that color/top, that this new model also has a newer Neck shape called just "Pattern", and it was in a lower price range of $1K vs most PRS's being $2k and on up. Went to a store in my area yesterday that had one in stock, and unfortunately found this newer "Pattern" Neck shape to still be uncomfortable, particularly when trying to fret the lower strings on a full 6 string barre chord. However, I then gave a $4k Custom 24 a try and for the first time found a PRS with a comfortable neck shape. It was not as thick on the backside. The store owner told me that neck shape is called "Pattern Thin". Ok, great, but $4k is way out of my price range. Lol.

Anyways, congrats on your new guitar. It will be interesting to hear what you think of the pups after you spend more time with them.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
              Met up with a guy to try out a 97 CE22. I wasn’t really expecting much but I was impressed it blew my SG away. I’ve been a life long Gibson fan. But the thicker neck and better balance won me over. I’m not the biggest fan of the color but it doesn’t bother me. The pickups have been upgraded to a 59/custom bridge and a 59 neck.
              ill probably swap them for something hotter later on. I only really have experience with import PRS guitars besides owning a CE24 years ago. When I was young and dumb enough to not know what it was so I threw emgs in it and traded it for an Ibanez 7 string.
              Are you getting the CE and SE confused? The CE series has always been made in the US, while the SE series started in Korea and may still be there.

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
              I dont hate them, but they don't put Floyds on them afaik.
              They've been offering a Custom 24 with a Floyd Rose as both a core and SE model for at least 5 years. It kind of amuses me because I met Paul in 2004 or so, and he said at that point that he'd never offer Floyds on his guitars because he thought they sounded awful.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

They've been offering a Custom 24 with a Floyd Rose as both a core and SE model for at least 5 years. It kind of amuses me because I met Paul in 2004 or so, and he said at that point that he'd never offer Floyds on his guitars because he thought they sounded awful.
                Thats like a club owner refusing to book a band because he doesn't like the singers voice.

Glad to see he got his priorities straightened out.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

Are you getting the CE and SE confused? The CE series has always been made in the US, while the SE series started in Korea and may still be there.

I had the CE 24 probably 20 years ago. Besides that I have only owned a few of the SE models. Up until this CE22 so far I am really liking it. The pickups are t bad but I will probably exchange them for something hotter. I know I’m going to get rid of the 5 way switch I can’t get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Thats like a club owner refusing to book a band because he doesn't like the singers voice.

Glad to see he got his priorities straightened out.
                    Which is what? Building guitars he doesn't like the sound or feel of? He doesn't need to do that. He got where he is by building guitars he believes in.

Comment

About 10 years ago I absolutely stole a 08 Custom 24 at a local Pawn Shop. Bought it with the intent to flip it as never jelled with a PRS before. Didn't work out that way and its still here. The right PRS can be a real killer and my Custom 24 isn't going any where. Congrats on the new toy!
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                      X