No announcement yet.

NEW Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard Outfit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a $300 guitar, save your money & get what you really want.

Comment

Probably a darned nice guitar for the money, after a new nut and a fret dressing. And it includes a hardshell case.

If you pay Sweetwater to round the fret ends, and have them slot the nut for two string sizes up from the one you use, you'll probably be a happy camper with it right out of the box.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-31-2020, 02:07 AM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        Its a $300 guitar, save your money & get what you really want.
        Dude, give it a rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
          Probably a darned nice guitar for the money, after a new nut and a fret dressing. And it includes a hardshell case.

If you pay Sweetwater to round the fret ends, and have them slot the nut for two string sizes up from the one you use, you'll probably be a happy camper with it right out of the box.
          A fret dressing, sure, but the nut could remain as it is. It's a Graph Tech NuBone. Might need slight slot adjustments if anything.

Spec-wise, this is probably one of the better looking models with the new headstock and specs.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

A fret dressing, sure, but the nut could remain as it is. It's a Graph Tech NuBone. Might need slight slot adjustments if anything.

Spec-wise, this is probably one of the better looking models with the new headstock and specs.

I rarely replace the nut on a new guitar but I almost always get out a set of nut files and tweak the slots. Maybe angle them back so the string doesn't buzz in the slot. Or file them a tiny bit deeper to make fretting the strings easier.

I usually have to do a little fretwork too. Maybe round some sharp fret ends a little bit.

I've had to locate a high fret on a new or almost new guitar and do a mini-fret level, crown and polish more than once.

New guitars have to settle in and also acclimate to their new home.
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-31-2020, 07:29 AM.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

I rarely replace the nut on a new guitar but I almost always get out a set of nut files and tweak the slots. Maybe angle them back so the string doesn't buzz in the slot. Or file them a tiny bit deeper to make fretting the strings easier.

I usually have to do a little fretwork too. Maybe round some sharp fret ends a little bit.

I've had to locate a high fret on a new or almost new guitar and do a mini-fret level, crown and polish more than once.

New guitars have to settle in and also acclimate to their new home.
              Exactly. On my Les Paul I rounded the back of the nut slots off so the strings wouldn't bind there. Ran a pencil through the slots once or twice and haven't any tuning issues since. It's a white corian nut that came stock on it. 2008 Les Paul Traditional Pro. Frets were pleked at the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post

Dude, give it a rest.

Marketing how does that work ?

Gibson never made or owned Epiphone in 1959.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

The OP started this thread like "i can never own a [blank] like this" with that mentality its true he never will.
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-31-2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Gibson bought Epiphone, Inc. in 1957.

Comment

I have a Plaintop Epiphone Les Paul I added the Slash A2 Pro set to that sounds and plays as good as my Gibson Les Paul. I have owned others over the years and fell for all the hype about replacing nuts, tuners, bridges, tailpieces when I was younger. Now I would just replace the pickups, tweak the setup, and play the crap out of that thing. All that other stuff was a waste of money.

Comment

Gibson bought Epiphone, Inc. in 1957.
                      And Lester Polsfuss "made" the first "Les Paul" out of scrap Epiphone parts.

Epiphone never made a GIBSON 1959 LES PAUL ... FACT. They got you people so mixed up you'll believe anything they print. I just did a CL search of 4 states this morn next to mine and practically every guitar for sale is a $300 Epi or similar.

There are literally no quality used guitars for sale for hundreds of square miles.

JUST SAY NO.
                      Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-31-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

And Lester Polsfuss "made" the first "Les Paul" out of scrap Epiphone parts.

Epiphone never made a GIBSON 1959 LES PAUL ... FACT. They got you people so mixed up you'll believe anything they print. I just did a CL search of 4 states this morn next to mine and practically every guitar for sale is a $300 Epi or similar.

There are literally no quality used guitars for sale for hundreds of square miles.

JUST SAY NO.
                        You're right, they didn't. But that doesn't mean that they can't make a pseudo 1959 influenced/styled/tributed LP for the market. That's no different than Squier having the Classic Vibe 50's and 60's guitars. And Fender certainly did not own the Squier brand in the 50's (purchased by Fender in 1965).

Sure, it's not a Gibson. Fine. A lot of people are OK with that. A 1959 VOS or Historic costs nearly 10 times what that Epi does. I tell ya what, not a lot of people have that kind if disposable income to toss around. You want to spend that on a guitar, go right ahead, but don't discourage the purchase of a guitar that will cost them less and make them happy.

Nobody is selling higher quality used guitars because nobody is buying them! I've looked on CL for my area and there is nothing out there. They are willing to part with the cheap stuff because they know it'll sell quicker when they need cash. I could afford a new Gibson LP Standard today if I wanted but economics for me says that is not feasible.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 07-31-2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

The OP started this thread like "i can never own a [blank] like this" with that mentality its true he never will.
                          A 1959 VOS or Historic costs nearly 10 times that that Epi does.
                          This is why I'll probably never own a "true" Gibson Les Paul, even though my double cut does say "Gibson Les Paul" on the headstock. Dropping $2,600 for a 50's standard vs dropping $850 on an Epiphone with the same pickups, and I'm on a college budget. I don't professionally record and I'm a big fan of buying cheap and upgrading, but this sounds like it's already upgraded at a fraction of the cost. I'd rather have a bunch of mid grade/budget diy fixers than one guitar (I currently have 5 guitars that I've spent a total of $1600 on, which can buy me exactly one les paul studio). I also impulse bought my double cut because it was 40% off at GC and I think the bridge pup sounds amazing, although I'd like to switch the neck out for a Friedman. It's my first p90 guitar and I'm hooked. I also know how to do fretwork, so paying sweetwater and extra $200 for a pleking sounds like a waste of money to me.

And JMP, no one is thinking epiphone made a 59 les paul. But because epiphone is the only manufacturer making licenced copies, this is literally as close to a 59 you're going to get anywhere near this price range. Hell, burstbuckers themselves retail for $300, let alone the case and labor involved.

Sweetwater called me today and it looks like I'm about a month away from getting the guitar, people have been pre-ordering this since January so I'm getting the second batch. Tbh I think it's pretty cool though because once the first batch comes out there will be plenty of videos so I know exactly what I'll be getting

Comment

Originally posted by Dauminator View Post

This is why I'll probably never own a "true" Gibson Les Paul, even though my double cut does say "Gibson Les Paul" on the headstock. Dropping $2,600 for a 50's standard vs dropping $850 on an Epiphone with the same pickups, and I'm on a college budget. I don't professionally record and I'm a big fan of buying cheap and upgrading, but this sounds like it's already upgraded at a fraction of the cost. I'd rather have a bunch of mid grade/budget diy fixers than one guitar (I currently have 5 guitars that I've spent a total of $1600 on, which can buy me exactly one les paul studio). I also impulse bought my double cut because it was 40% off at GC and I think the bridge pup sounds amazing, although I'd like to switch the neck out for a Friedman. It's my first p90 guitar and I'm hooked. I also know how to do fretwork, so paying sweetwater and extra $200 for a pleking sounds like a waste of money to me.

And JMP, no one is thinking epiphone made a 59 les paul. But because epiphone is the only manufacturer making licenced copies, this is literally as close to a 59 you're going to get anywhere near this price range. Hell, burstbuckers themselves retail for $300, let alone the case and labor involved.

Sweetwater called me today and it looks like I'm about a month away from getting the guitar, people have been pre-ordering this since January so I'm getting the second batch. Tbh I think it's pretty cool though because once the first batch comes out there will be plenty of videos so I know exactly what I'll be getting
                            Yes okay fair points. I keep looking at things thru the lenz like the economy is on track and li\fe is good instead of being 1/3rd into a 100 year pandemic with 40% un-employment & GDP dropping 10% a month. [i get it]. Also it wasn't long ago the Epi LP's were basic & $300 new, same with MIM Stratocasters. Now Epi's are $700 to $1300 & MIM Strats & Charvels [owned by Fender] are also $700 to $1400. Not sure who's winning the big companies or the little guy. Having said all that back in 1970 i would have killed for an Epi LP ungraded or not cuz all there was /was Fender & Gibson & everything else and the everything else was awful & unplayable especially for beginners. When i walk into my local Music Go Round they have 300 guitars again any which i would have killed for back in the day but only one Gibson & not even a good one. Hell last week i was looking at a Lizzy Hale Epi Explorer with all the bling and i looked hard but ultimately i could not justify spending that much on a Chinese copy. Gibson sells more Epi's than Gibson's of the same model & they will continue to do so as long as people buy them. They will never drop their prices on USA guitars and im under the impression that they likely never will. Gibson prices are like taxes they only go up/never down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front-banner-1600_900.png
Views:	728
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	6006077
                            Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-31-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Why do you care what he spends his money on?

All you do is post about the resale value of guitars. There is more to life than what your guitar will fetch when you try to resell it. Some people like a regular guitar. It’s not always about the grand conspiracy of corporate America.

-=The Dali
                              --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                                Why do you care what he spends his money on?

All you do is post about the resale value of guitars. There is more to life than what your guitar will fetch when you try to resell it. Some people like a regular guitar. It’s not always about the grand conspiracy of corporate America.

Why do you care what i care ? Its not him personally but the quality & price of guitars in general i care because it effects my bottomline. And watching the guitar industry in general go down the tubes doesn't sit well with me because im passionate about things i love.

Comment

Working...
                                X