NEW Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard Outfit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard Outfit

I'll never be able to afford a true Les Paul, and this is about as close as I'll ever get. I've heard rumors that it will be a special run but I've never pre-ordered a guitar before, let alone a "budget" brand like epiphone. Trogly is showing some QC issues, and I have never played burstbuckers before. But that Aged Dark Burst is calling my name! Can anyone talk me out of it? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ged-dark-burst

Looks sweet. I love Epiphones. Let us know when you get it.

Comment

I'll bet it'll be sweet! I've played some really nice newer Epis.

"Crystal clear" is how they describe the pickups. Interesting how tastes change. 20 or 30 years ago they'd be describing those same pickups in terms of heat and sustain.

They also note in the description that 1959 was the year Gibson really perfected Seth Lover's humbucker design. Wonder of the pickups use Alnico 4?

And if the pickups are an import version of the Burstbucker or made in the USA? Does say "Straight out of the Gibson Custom Shop".
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

That does look nice. Specs say Gibson Burstbucker so those will be Made in USA. The newer Epiphones are really nice. I wouldn't consider them a budget brand by any means, though they have lower priced guitars as well, just like other brands (Ibanez is a perfect example). Everybody's "budget" is different. That is a nice price for one of those. The new head stock looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Let us know when you get it.
          Nice one Artie. Should I ever need someone to talk me out of buying something, you won't be on my list of "guys to ask".

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            That does look nice. Specs say Gibson Burstbucker so those will be Made in USA. The newer Epiphones are really nice. I wouldn't consider them a budget brand by any means, though they have lower priced guitars as well, just like other brands (Ibanez is a perfect example). Everybody's "budget" is different. That is a nice price for one of those. The new head stock looks great.
            So regular Burstbuckers are Alnico 2, right? And Burstbucker Pros are Alnico 5.

Wonder if Gibson is using roughcast magnets like they did in the 50's.

Doesn't look like Gibson is using Alnico 4 in Burstbuckers, even though they used it a lot, especially in '59.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Looks like a fine guitar. Everyone complains Gibson doesn't make a quality guitar that's in a reasonable price range, but certain Studios and Epis fill that void. This looks like one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Doesn't look like Gibson is using Alnico 4 in Burstbuckers, even though they used it a lot, especially in '59.
                Don't know why they've avoided the A4. But they do put A3 in the Memphis semi-hollows (including Les Pauls) and the "CustomBucker" is A3.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

I believe that is correct about the Burstbuckers. Could be a 2/3 combo. That'll depend on their DC readings but it's very common in the Gibson LP Traditional Pro models.

Comment

Dauminator, don't worry about it being an Epiphone. I have a really nice Ibanez as well as an Epiphone Les Paul Classic.

The Ibanez was WAY more expensive but I really prefer the Epiphone; it plays better, sounds better, it's easier to work on, etc. Now I did upgrade the pickups to a nice set of Seymour Duncan WLHs, but I left everything else stock, and I couldn't be happier.

Besides, a lot of people prefer to buy the cheaper Les Paul and just upgrade the heck out of it anyway. It's a really great looking guitar, get it and make it your own

Comment

love the dark burst finish! dooo eeet!

Comment

So much for talking me out of it, I just pre-ordered it from sweetwater! I really hope this guitar is everything it's hyped up to be. Honestly one of the selling points for me was the hardshell case. Buying budget guitars can be cool but they almost never come with a case. Also technically I do have a USA Gibson Les Paul, but it's the DC special with p90s, about as far from a traditional LP as you can get, and I picked it up for $599 new. Kinda crazy how this Epi is more expensive than the Gibson. I just hope it's money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Nice one Artie. Should I ever need someone to talk me out of buying something, you won't be on my list of "guys to ask".
                          I'm taking that as a compliment.

Comment

Again, this is not a budget, as in cheap, guitar. It’s $800. Seriously? I remember when USA Strats and LP Studios were that new. Inflation, ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauminator View Post
                              So much for talking me out of it, I just pre-ordered it from sweetwater! I really hope this guitar is everything it's hyped up to be. Honestly one of the selling points for me was the hardshell case. Buying budget guitars can be cool but they almost never come with a case. Also technically I do have a USA Gibson Les Paul, but it's the DC special with p90s, about as far from a traditional LP as you can get, and I picked it up for $599 new. Kinda crazy how this Epi is more expensive than the Gibson. I just hope it's money well spent!
                              This Epi is way more guitar than your Double Cut budget Gibson. You'll be a happy camper when it arrives.
                              1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                              2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
                              2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
                              2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
                              2019 Gibson Original Collection Les Paul Special
                              -------
                              1979 Marshall JMP 2204
                              1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
                              2021 Epic Amplification AR50
                              2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Working...
                              X