Slotted nut installation, not as easy as the videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slotted nut installation, not as easy as the videos

So I just finished replacing the garbage nut that came with a new MIM Fender replacement neck. I got one of the Graphtech Tusq-XL ones. Despite what fender says the nut slot s radiused. So here I am taking a dead neck with a 9.5” radius as a sanding block between the first fret and nut with 220 grit sand paper. 20 minute job my hind end.... well a few hours later it’s as good as it’s going to get. .005” relief at the 1st fret across the strings with full string load and an hour play time. Definitely a huge sound, playing and stability improvement.... but the 20 minute job Graphtech says... how about no.

A few hours? I haven’t done one of those in awhile, but it seems like a few hours is what it took the first time I used a bone blank.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Over the years, I have learned a thing or two about my nuts. One of the things I have learned is it is better for me to keep my hands off my nuts. For whatever reason, playing with my nuts gets messy as hell. I am just not very good at it. From now on, only qualified individuals will be allowed to touch my nuts.
      Soundcloud

Comment

that sucks. so much easier to get a nut that is ready to go but when youre told one thing and it turns out to be another... grrr. glad you got it sorted out, even if it took significantly longer than you expected

Comment

Learning experience
          the second time you fo anything
          It is twice as easy and takes half as long
          Third time, significantly better still

You got all the bad part out of the way

I would have filed the hump ot of the slot
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Graphtech has no idea what neck you're fitting it to.
            That said - if you'd bought the right nut for the neck in the first place then it probably would have been an accurate assessment.

Its amazing how often people try and divert blame away from the real issue.

Comment

the op blamed fender for telling him it was a flat nut slot, not graphtech.

Comment

As with everything it just takes time........Do about 20 more and soon you'll be doing 5minute from bone blank jobs

Comment

eh... dunno about that. a good nut from a bone blank in 5 minutes? thats impressive

Comment

I wanna see one of those 5 minutes from a blank nut.

Comment

I worked as a repair tech to get through school. I've easy installed more than 100 Graphtech nuts and all of them took about two hours. Don't beat yourself up over it.
                      Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
                      If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                        Over the years, I have learned a thing or two about my nuts. One of the things I have learned is it is better for me to keep my hands off my nuts. For whatever reason, playing with my nuts gets messy as hell. I am just not very good at it. From now on, only qualified individuals will be allowed to touch my nuts.
                        That could also get very messy.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                          We're still talking guitars, right?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

That could also get very messy.
                            Hey, somehow I made it to 36 without a little me running around. I will be 37 later this month... *knocks on wood*
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

We're still talking guitars, right?
                              Sure, why not? Haha.
                              Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X