1st guitar buy in 5yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st guitar buy in 5yrs

It's been 7yrs since my last brand-new guitar (carvin st300fr) , and 5yrs since I snagged an as-new 08 prestige rg1570 w/case for $450!

Got this guitar a few months back, the week before people started getting the first stimulus checks. Had I waited a week longer the whole batch would have been gone.
    Some of these look much cooler than others IMO, so Sweetwater's gallery was a must for me on this deal. I didn't love any of the units from their first batch shortly after namm.
    This was from their second batch and was the best looking of the bunch to my untrained wannabe artistic vision lol.

More detailed critiques coming in subsequent posts, but first I'll try to get a pic to stick.

I know you're sleeping soundly right now old man Mincer, but when you get back on please tell me if I need to shrink the pics. I'll wait before loading any more. Thanks.

Comment

None of them showed up so... Usually, th pics my phone snaps are between 2-4 MB and I cannot upload those, not even on the previous iteration of the forum. I jsut do a "save as..." in paint and re-save them in jpeg and that compresses them o a few hundred Kbs which then upload nicely.

Comment

Oh wow... Tha looks COOOOOOL!

Comment

Is the finish on every guitar unique like Jem swirl? How is the Indonesian Schecter compared with the Korean? I have 4 of them and they all flawless.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
            I know you're sleeping soundly right now old man Mincer, but when you get back on please tell me if I need to shrink the pics. I'll wait before loading any more. Thanks.
            It came out fine to me.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That is gorgeous! That finish caught my eye when it was introduced and you're right, not all of them come out as nice as yours did!

The specs on these simply couldn't be better. You really can't get "more" guitar for the money, period.

Do you have a pic of the back? The finish continues up the neck, right? So cool...

Comment

Happy NGD Very cool. It reminds me a lot of my old Ibanez RGR420EX Silver Arctic Frost. Schecter has some killer guitars for the money.

Comment

I really would dig a sustainer guitar. I use my Ebow all the time.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like the inlays. I dislike how Schecter is using roman numerals as inlays on many of their guitars this year.

Comment

That looks like it would slay! Love the Schecter feel, and I bet that one feels goooooooood

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche
                      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
                        Happy NGD Very cool. It reminds me a lot of my old Ibanez RGR420EX Silver Arctic Frost. Schecter has some killer guitars for the money.
                        Wow... I was just going to ask if you meant 320 not 420, but luckily decided to check the interwebz 1st and discovered something - that the Arctic Frost finishes were offered in 420 models as well. I never knew that! I had the silver 320 one you mention, and (still) have the 320 Gold version. Scanning the Ibanez wiki, it seems the only difference btw the 2 were the pickups: the 420 had Ibanez Vintage pups and the 320 had Designed By EMG passives.

Cheers!

The RGR420EX is an RG series solid body electric guitar model introduced by Ibanez for 2008. It was made in Indonesia. The RGR420EX features a basswood body bolted to a maple Wizard II neck with a reverse headstock and a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with sharktooth position markers. Components include Ibanez Vintage pickups, an Edge III double locking tremolo bridge and a locking nut. The RGR420EX was issued in special "Frost" graphic finishes as well as in a Melted Black finish. 2008 North Amer

The RGR320EX is an RG series solid body guitar model introduced by Ibanez in 2007. The RGR320EX features a basswood body, two humbucking pickups, the Edge III tremolo and a Wizard II neck with a reversed headstock and a bound fingerboard with sharktooth inlays. The Roadrage Black is a textured finish. The Arctic Frost models were limited edition versions revealed at the 2007 Summer NAMM. For 2008, the RGR320EX was replaced by the RGR420EX which features different pickups. 2007 USA catalog (page

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Dave - big congrats! That thing is gorgeous looking! Plus a sustainer!

Is the neck radius the standard 14" that Schecter usually uses? What's the model #?
                          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Finally got off work. Sorry to pull an Ace and keep everyone in suspense.

thanks Mincer,,,,,,,,,big pics it is then. , wow, Imgur is so much better then pb ,,,,no comparison on speed and navigation.

The board is indeed the 14" radius. The model is c1 frs silver mountain.
                            set-neck with smoothed heal
                            3pc mahogany neck (real mahogany? who knows) it's wide and 20mm depth at the 1st
                            mahogany body
                            ebony/stainless
                            sonic seducer bridge (thick ceramic at 12.5k) and sustainer neck

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                              Is the finish on every guitar unique like Jem swirl? How is the Indonesian Schecter compared with the Korean? I have 4 of them and they all flawless.
                              Yep everyone is unique. I've wanted a new lava-crackle type finish forever, like my old charvel but maybe a bit different. This one is sort-of in the same spirit though.
                              These are South Korean. It's my first Schecter ever so I can't speak for the indo-mades,,,,,,, although I had before spent a little time on an early c1 hellraiser w/emgs, probably Korean too.
                              Quality is very good. No finish flaws, no electronic flaws, level and slick frets, tuners and bridge are good, I'd rather have a basic German OFR, but I will say the push-in arms are better IMO.

One thing I would change is the body arch. I'd rather have more wood and less arch, especially considering the amount of routing in back..
                              The weight is low 7s which is a tad lighter than I prefer, but it's evenly light so it doesn't have a neck-dive issue like other featherweights I've played.
                              Actually it balances very well but I'd still prefer thicker body edges for some reason.

The neck feels great for me. 20mm is on the thicker side of my range but the fact it's wide makes it seem thinner IMO.

The bridge pickup at 12.5k seems to be specifically designed to enhance clarity and crunch in a guitar that is spongier than most maple-based guitars.

Glow in the dark side-dots also! My first ever with glowers and I am truly impressed.

Last edited by dave74; 08-01-2020, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X