Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

What is the sustainiac like?

If you strum a chord, does the chord keep playing like it was a keyboard, or does the sound change into harmonics and feedback? IOW, is it similar to standing next to a speaker?

Does it work with clean tones as well as gain?

And how long does the battery last when using it?

Comment

That IS gorgeous. Schecters don't get the love they deserve. I like the interesting inlays too. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Yep everyone is unique. I've wanted a new lava-crackle type finish forever, like my old charvel but maybe a bit different. This one is sort-of in the same spirit though.
          These are South Korean. It's my first Schecter ever so I can't speak for the indo-mades,,,,,,, although I had before spent a little time on an early c1 hellraiser w/emgs, probably Korean too.
          Quality is very good. No finish flaws, no electronic flaws, level and slick frets, tuners and bridge are good, I'd rather have a basic German OFR, but I will say the push-in arms are better IMO.

One thing I would change is the body arch. I'd rather have more wood and less arch, especially considering the amount of routing in back..
          The weight is low 7s which is a tad lighter than I prefer, but it's evenly light so it doesn't have a neck-dive issue like other featherweights I've played.
          Actually it balances very well but I'd still prefer thicker body edges for some reason.

The neck feels great for me. 20mm is on the thicker side of my range but the fact it's wide makes it seem thinner IMO.

The bridge pickup at 12.5k seems to be specifically designed to enhance clarity and crunch in a guitar that is spongier than most maple-based guitars.

Glow in the dark side-dots also! My first ever with glowers and I am truly impressed.

Comfort in the Neck is crucial to being able to really bond with a guitar or not, IMO. Glad to hear that the thickness of the Neck Isn't so much as to make the guitar a no-go for you.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Wow... I was just going to ask if you meant 320 not 420, but luckily decided to check the interwebz 1st and discovered something - that the Arctic Frost finishes were offered in 420 models as well. I never knew that! I had the silver 320 one you mention, and (still) have the 320 Gold version. Scanning the Ibanez wiki, it seems the only difference btw the 2 were the pickups: the 420 had Ibanez Vintage pups and the 320 had Designed By EMG passives.

Cheers!

The RGR420EX is an RG series solid body electric guitar model introduced by Ibanez for 2008. It was made in Indonesia. The RGR420EX features a basswood body bolted to a maple Wizard II neck with a reverse headstock and a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard with sharktooth position markers. Components include Ibanez Vintage pickups, an Edge III double locking tremolo bridge and a locking nut. The RGR420EX was issued in special "Frost" graphic finishes as well as in a Melted Black finish. 2008 North Amer

The RGR320EX is an RG series solid body guitar model introduced by Ibanez in 2007. The RGR320EX features a basswood body, two humbucking pickups, the Edge III tremolo and a Wizard II neck with a reversed headstock and a bound fingerboard with sharktooth inlays. The Roadrage Black is a textured finish. The Arctic Frost models were limited edition versions revealed at the 2007 Summer NAMM. For 2008, the RGR320EX was replaced by the RGR420EX which features different pickups. 2007 USA catalog (page
            The V7/V8 get a lot of hate but I liked them myself but only wished they were open coiled since I have always found plastic covered pups to dampen the sound a little killing sustain and openness. I didn't know if they were permanently epoxy/potted on like EMG HZ's or not since I never pulled them. I bought it mostly because I loved the paint job on it but I just could not get use to the neck. Every time I played it I would get horrible cramps in my hands and I just couldn't take it so I basically gave it away for I wouldn't torture myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
              What is the sustainiac like?

If you strum a chord, does the chord keep playing like it was a keyboard, or does the sound change into harmonics and feedback? IOW, is it similar to standing next to a speaker?

Does it work with clean tones as well as gain?

And how long does the battery last when using it?
              Well, it works on any sound, clean or with distortion- it creates a feedback loop. Usually a switch will switch between the fundamental sustaining or a 5th above. If you've ever gotten feedback from an acoustic, where the strings start ringing and don't stop...that's the sound. It is very musical, actually, and guitarists like Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp use it a lot. No idea how long the battery lasts.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
                ... I have always found plastic covered pups to dampen the sound a little killing sustain and openness.
                FYI...plastic covers are completely sonically transparent. As in, they have absolutely no affect on the sound at all. They are technically the *best* cover material to use, but are more prone to wear than metal covers and, obviously, can not be durably plated in chrome, gold, etc. like a metal cover can.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

FYI...plastic covers are completely sonically transparent. As in, they have absolutely no affect on the sound at all. They are technically the *best* cover material to use, but are more prone to wear than metal covers and, obviously, can not be durably plated in chrome, gold, etc. like a metal cover can.
                  I find that completely untrue. Just placing even a thin pick (say.88) between the slug of a pickup extremely cuts down the magnetic pull/field of it which in turns will change the character and kill sustain some since it now has a weaker magnetic field of the pickup without a cover. You can simply test it by sticking a piece metal or base of a interchangeable screwdriver tip to a slug and it will easily stick/pull and then place a pick over it again and you will get very little or no pull at all. A cover is much thicker than that.

Comment

its not the plastic itself that is changing the magnetic field, its the distance. metal covers do it too. you cant get the magnet as close to the strings with a cover on as you can without one. that doesnt always matter, it depends on how close you want the magnet to the strings. small distances matter

Comment

I find that completely untrue. Just placing even a thin pick (say.88) between the slug of a pickup extremely cuts down the magnetic pull/field of it which in turns will change the character and kill sustain some since it now has a weaker magnetic field of the pickup without a cover. You can simply test it by sticking a piece metal or base of a interchangeable screwdriver tip to a slug and it will easily stick/pull and then place a pick over it again and you will get very little or no pull at all. A cover is much thicker than that.
                      I don't think it has anything to do with the pick.

It seems to me to be the opposite of what you say...A stronger magnetic pull will have a stronger attraction to the strings tending to dampen their vibration which would reduce sustain.

Plastic is magnetically transparent.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with the pick.

It seems to me to be the opposite of what you say...A stronger magnetic pull will have a stronger attraction to the strings tending to dampen their vibration which would reduce sustain.

Plastic is magnetically transparent.
                        That's all dependant on how close they are to the strings, how strong the magnets are or how many pups are in your guitar, they all play a factor. I avoid running any pups up to high because they can kill sustain and pull notes/chords out of tune. I'm well aware how things work since I've been setting up guitars and installing pups for nearly 3 decades and have experimented like crazy. I've learned that just because something is magnetically transparent doesn't mean it can't dampen it or alter its strength.

Last edited by Mr. 80's; 08-03-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Just placing even a thin pick (say.88) between the slug of a pickup extremely cuts down the magnetic pull/field of it which in turns will change the character and kill sustain some since it now has a weaker magnetic field .

I avoid running any pups up too high because they can kill sustain and pull notes/chords out of tune.
                          Are you sure you know what you're talking about? You say that putting something (even a pick) between the pup and strings reduces the magnetic strength and reduces sustain. (Which is incorrect).
                          Then you say placing a pup closer to the strings essentially INCREASING the magnet's effect on the strings and will kill sustain. (This statement actually is the correct one).
                          You have just contradicted yourself!

I've learned that just because something is magnetically transparent doesn't mean it can't dampen it or alter its strength..
                          Well, you've learned wrong. That's what the definition of magnetically transparent IS...it has no affect on the magnet...it is transparent...the magnet doesn't "see" it.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Back on track... to the OP...

How does the guitar sound? Is this a maple core, mahogany wings guitar?

Is the fit/finish 10/10? I am seriously looking at a LTD Deluxe Korea that is probably made in the same factory, from the same parent company and am curious how great this guitar is.

Comment

Congrats on the new axe! That is awesome! Im normally not a fan of swirl finishes, but that is cool! Always wanted a sustainer and luminlay side dots too. Schecter is really good at producing a great guitar, loaded with high end upgrades and at a decent price point. I love those inlays too! I had a Schecter C1 a few years back. Was a great axe..
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                                Back on track... to the OP...

How does the guitar sound? Is this a maple core, mahogany wings guitar?

Is the fit/finish 10/10? I am seriously looking at a LTD Deluxe Korea that is probably made in the same factory, from the same parent company and am curious how great this guitar is.
                                The finish and general construction elements are near perfect.
                                The 1500-series bridge is a couple notches below the German OFR. The screw threads are not as perfect and the bridge feels a bit clunkier overall IMO. I knew that already before buying it though because I already have a couple 1000-series and several real OFRs. The push-in arm is better though. I might get adapters for some of my German bridges.

3pc mahogany neck set-into full mahogany body, not a neck-thru. It has a "bouncier" low-end than most maple necks, and not as much "weight" to the lows. The lows really breath.
                                IMO not the best guitar for large tight string setups. I'm running 9.5-46 turbo slinkys at Eb.
                                Juicy lower mids is where it shines. It has plenty of crispness up high

It's unplugged tone is actually almost identical to my full-hog Carvin. The Schecter might be a little brighter overall, but that could just be the longer scale at the same string size and tuning.
                                They are both full mahogany with ebony boards and stainless jumbo frets. They also have nearly identical neck and board profiles, both being 20mm depth and 14" radius. The Carvin has a wider nut but a shorter scale though, so not exactly the same.

The sonic seducer bridge pickup is really well matched for the mahogany's tone.

Comment

Working...
                                X