Tacoma Acoustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacoma Acoustics

Anyone try these? I've not been in much of an acoustic mode in a long time, but I was in a GC in Seattle today and a Tacoma DM9 followed me back to my hotel room.

I compared various Martins and Taylors in the 1000-1250 range and the 475 dollar Tacoma smoked them all.

None electric, rosewood board, one piece mahogany sides and back and a solid spruce sitka top. Tortoise binding on guitar front and neck.

The only semi bad thing about this guitar was the stock Tacoma case. It sucked bad. Latches wouldn't stay closed. So, the GC guy threw in a nice plush TKH dreadnaught case.

There is no pickguard, just a see-thru plastic kind of sticker. I'd put a normal one on there, but i"m afraid I'd screw up the tone. Unbelievable projection. Great tone.

What a sleeper (sleeper to me, you guys probably all know about them).

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Tacoma Acoustics

I've liked the Tacoma's that I've played. I agree with ya Scott, these guitars are real " Sleepers " in the Market. I've got a 1964 Gibson J-50 and a 1958 Martin D-18 that get most of my acoustic attention. I've also got a 2001 Martin D-28. The Tacoma's can't touch the 2 older guitars, but they hang right in there with my newer Martin. I'd consider using a Tacoma for Professional purposes, no doubt about it !!!
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I've played a couple of them. They have seemed rather nice actually. They're a little more expensive here in NZ, but impressive at the price.

They use them on the Dixie Chicks live in the Kodak Theatre DVD.

Comment

I went shopping with a friend about 2 years ago who was new to guitar playing. He ended up with a Tacoma, and I thought he got a smoking deal for the money. Good quality woods and nice tone.

Now, he's quit playing of course, so that reminds me I need to see if he's willing to let go of his Tacoma
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

I picked up a Tacoma K14 (solid spruce top, Jumbo body, Koa back and sides) for $475. Best money I've spent in a while.

The bass doesn't thud.. it cuts through with some solid definition. Very nice sound overall.
          -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
          I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

i like tacoma's alot, looked at a few when iwas looking
            between a tacoma whatever and a d-15 (both about 600) the sound was really a toss up, i loved both of them. i ended up with the martin for future resale value, not that id ever sell it.....
            im looking at a tacoma for my next acoustic, iether a jumbo or a 12, a tacoma or a blueridge or an alvarez, or a guild....
            Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
            Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
            Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
            Crate VC-3112
            Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
            Fender Bassman 60

Comment

I agree with everyone so far. I like the Tacoma's I've played. Nice addition to your harem, Scott.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

cool, thanks for the review! ive been looking to get another acoustic....
                esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                fender mim standard strat
                peavey classic 30
                johnson j-station
                original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                yamaha f-310p acoustic
                taylor 410 acoustic
                "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Scott, you got a hell of a deal on that for $475. I did a search for them on the net and the average price on those is around $680....plus you got a better case as well.

However, the ones I'm looking at may have the electronics/ Still it seems like a good deal.

Comment

I've been questioning the move all day. I talked to a friend of mine that used to carry Tacomas. He steered me back to the martin D15. The guys at GC were able to make the swap for me and it only cost me $6.15 more. Kept the same good quality case... the stock Martin one kinda sucked in comparison. Oh well, I love the tone of both of them, but I got a bit nervous after I spoke to this guy that had a lot of experience with them. He quit carrying them due to the tops splitting. Mostly it was problems like with the one that I had that had the super thin satin finish on them. He said the ones with the thicker finishes on them were better. Either way, I love the nasty, get-to-business, no BS look of the Martin D-15.

Just call me Mr. Waffle.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Can't argue with a D-15. One of Martin's best sounding guitars, in my opinion . That Mahogany is sweet and warm. Enjoy it, Scott.
                      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

On my acoustic search, I tried a very nice Tacoma(don't recall the model)& basically had it narrowed down to it & the Takamine EAN15. Once I played the Guild though, I realized I was buying something for life. No need for anything else...one time, good deal.

But I did like the 2 or 3 Tacomas that I played...I also didn't like the little tape like pick-guard, but that wasn't what broke the deal.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I like Tacomas, but what your friend said is right. For some reason the tops are known to split near the binding. Not many, but they probably use uncured wood, or something. I like the big frets, since it's easier to do lead playing on them, but something about the tone and thin neck still bug me enough to not buy one.

Another guitar that's great, but I can't quite latch onto is Larrivee. They look so killer and sound real nice, but there's just something about the way they feel.

You probably did the right thing by opting for the Martin. I think they've figured out the art of the acoustic guitar, now, after well over a century of building them.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                            I've liked the Tacoma's that I've played. I agree with ya Scott, these guitars are real " Sleepers " in the Market. I've got a 1964 Gibson J-50 and a 1958 Martin D-18 that get most of my acoustic attention. I've also got a 2001 Martin D-28. The Tacoma's can't touch the 2 older guitars, but they hang right in there with my newer Martin. I'd consider using a Tacoma for Professional purposes, no doubt about it !!!
                            Hey Rob, the other day I thought you told me that J-50's were the only way to go!
                            whassup with that?

lol

Comment

Working...
                            X