Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brentrocks View Post

He told me to strip it before I take it to him
    Strip means chemical to me, not sanding.

Comment

Absolutely correct. Stripping is NOT sanding.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Well... I failed miserably. I'm sanding it down and taking it to a pro.
        Strip it down. No need to use abrasion, which also alters the wood. With what you used, it'll strip easy with mild strippers, and clean up with lacquer thinner. It'll take 30 minutes and won't reshape the wood in the slightest. Manual abrasion is usually the worst possible way to strip a finish completely off.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-22-2020, 12:02 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

Strip it down. No need to use abrasion, which also alters the wood. With what you used, it'll strip easy with mild strippers, and clean up with lacquer thinner. It'll take 30 minutes and won't reshape the wood in the slightest. Manual abrasion is usually the worst possible way to strip a finish completely off.
          What brand of stripper do you recommend?
          I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Comment

CitruStrip. It doesn't smell awful like some strippers. When the finish gets soft, scrape it off with a plastic scraper (not metal), or scuff good with dark gray Scotchbrite.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

What brand of stripper do you recommend?
              Since you used solvent based materials, try first with the least harsh chemical stripper you can get at your go-to hardware store.

Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I dropped it off to the pro finish guy today! When it’s done it will have a factory custom shop quality finish on it! That’s what I should’ve done in the first place. LOL

Comment

I dropped it off to the pro finish guy today! When it’s done it will have a factory custom shop quality finish on it! That’s what I should’ve done in the first place. LOL
                  Are you going solid black on the peghead face? Don't know if I would or wouldn't. Just curious.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Are you going solid black on the peghead face? Don't know if I would or wouldn't. Just curious.
                    Yes. Black on the headstock face

Comment

What happened, by the way? It was looking decent in the last batch of pix.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

What happened, by the way? It was looking decent in the last batch of pix.
                        The finish started flaking off.

Comment

Solvent based finish over oil. I had my doubts...but wasn't 100 percent sure, as I'd never have thought to have tried it. You did use shellac in between...but maybe the oil wasn't well dried enough first. Did you use dewaxed shellac?
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-26-2020, 04:14 PM.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Solvent based finish over oil. I had my doubts...but wasn't 100 percent sure, as I'd never have thought to have tried it. You did use shellac in between...but maybe the oil wasn't well dried enough first. Did you use dewaxed shellac?
                            I have no clue on the shellac. I simply bit off more than I could chew. It’s in good hands now.

Comment

If it wasn’t specifically billed as dewaxed shellac, it probably wasn’t, and that might be the problem.
                              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Hey, it's all good! Good on you for trying! You would have always wondered if you could have done it if you did not try. That is how I felt about mine.

You are going to love how it looks when it is ready!
                                Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                                X