Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Too nice and unique a guitar to learn on. Send it to MJT for a Closet Clean finish in the color of your choice. Sparkling Burgundy Metallic or two tone sunburst (black or dark brown over a yellow aniline dye) might be my choice. Closet Clean is as clean as they spray. It gives you a slight head start on the break in, without looking like a stupid relic. It will wear in naturally and gracefully to your body over the years.

RS Guitar Works is also great, as is Guitar Mill. But I don't know if Guitar Mill does set necks.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-05-2020, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Haha, it is always tough to resist the urge to string them up! Looks great, should look even better soon!

Leave a comment:

• brentrocks
    replied
    Just received it today! Strung it up to check the neck pitch, action, intonation, etc.....everything feels great. Its very lively acoustic!

IMG_3524 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_3522 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_3521 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_3520 by brent HENDERSON, on

Last edited by brentrocks; 08-05-2020, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I agree. You will be much happier in the end. In the mean time, find some wood to practice some painting techniques on!

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Originally posted by brentrocks View Post
    I’ve decided to get it professionally done. Thanks for all the input!!
    Good call, you are going to be very happy with your decision in the end!

Leave a comment:

• brentrocks
    replied
    I’ve decided to get it professionally done. Thanks for all the input!!

Leave a comment:

• The Dali
    replied
    Agree with a lot of the above. If anything, you can finish it with stain and wipe-off poly or oil. I wouldn't PAINT.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied
    I have a quote for $500 to finish it in nitro. I local guy that I trust and I know he does good work
    That is probably a realistic quote for these days. You might ask the guy to show you examples of his work, and if possible - visit him in person to view the shop.

Leave a comment:

• brentrocks
    replied
    I have a quote for $500 to finish it in nitro. I local guy that I trust and I know he does good work

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied
    You definitely want to use grain filler on that. I would recommend a darker color of filler if you are going for a transparent finish. The darker filler will make the grain pop once it is sanded back and then painted. Gibson uses a walnut color grain filler on their solidbody guitars. Since my LP Jr DC is mahogany, I'm going with a mahogany colored grain filler since the body will be solid. The back of the neck will be transparent.
    Last edited by ErikH; 08-13-2020, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    Too bad it's got such a horrendous head. That's the reason I never liked any Moderne guitar.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    If it were me, and I...
    • Didn't have the right tools
    • Didn't have a paint booth or proper place to paint
    • Didn't have any experience
    ...I would not start with a Moderne body. I would start with cheap/broken furniture or wood blanks.

For the Moderne, i'd pay someone to just do it right.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied
    Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
    I finished my Korina explorer. Will need a lot of grain filler to get it level. That’s not really complicated, just time consuming. I did reranch tinted amber finish and it came out great. You just have to be super patient
    I've used ReRanch aerosol lacquer and it's a good product. I'd buy it again.

What grain filler did you use and how did you apply it?

Leave a comment:

• blakejcan
    replied
    I finished my Korina explorer. Will need a lot of grain filler to get it level. That’s not really complicated, just time consuming. I did reranch tinted amber finish and it came out great. You just have to be super patient

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    While I think it is a noble thing to learn to paint a guitar (I have no idea how), I don't think this project is where you start that. Get some quotes on places that have the right tools to finish properly, and if you want to learn to finish, do it right, working your way up to a project like this.
    This is really good advice. As somebody who failed on an expensive carved top Korina body, I should have practiced on several inexpensive bodies first. Now, I happily pay professionals to finish my guitars every single time. They do such a fantastic job, way better than I ever could in my wildest dreams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X