PAINT, OR NOT TO PAINT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
    I finished my Korina explorer. Will need a lot of grain filler to get it level. That’s not really complicated, just time consuming. I did reranch tinted amber finish and it came out great. You just have to be super patient
    I've used ReRanch aerosol lacquer and it's a good product. I'd buy it again.

What grain filler did you use and how did you apply it?
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

If it were me, and I...
      • Didn't have the right tools
      • Didn't have a paint booth or proper place to paint
      • Didn't have any experience
      ...I would not start with a Moderne body. I would start with cheap/broken furniture or wood blanks.

For the Moderne, i'd pay someone to just do it right.

Comment

Too bad it's got such a horrendous head. That's the reason I never liked any Moderne guitar.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You definitely want to use grain filler on that. I would recommend a darker color of filler if you are going for a transparent finish. The darker filler will make the grain pop once it is sanded back and then painted. Gibson uses a walnut color grain filler on their solidbody guitars. Since my LP Jr DC is mahogany, I'm going with a mahogany colored grain filler since the body will be solid. The back of the neck will be transparent.
          Last edited by ErikH; 08-13-2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I have a quote for $500 to finish it in nitro. I local guy that I trust and I know he does good work
            I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Comment

I have a quote for $500 to finish it in nitro. I local guy that I trust and I know he does good work
              That is probably a realistic quote for these days. You might ask the guy to show you examples of his work, and if possible - visit him in person to view the shop.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Agree with a lot of the above. If anything, you can finish it with stain and wipe-off poly or oil. I wouldn't PAINT.
                -=The Dali
                --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

I’ve decided to get it professionally done. Thanks for all the input!!

Comment

Originally posted by brentrocks View Post
                    I’ve decided to get it professionally done. Thanks for all the input!!
                    Good call, you are going to be very happy with your decision in the end!
                    Soundcloud

Comment

I agree. You will be much happier in the end. In the mean time, find some wood to practice some painting techniques on!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just received it today! Strung it up to check the neck pitch, action, intonation, etc.....everything feels great. Its very lively acoustic!

IMG_3524 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_3522 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_3521 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_3520 by brent HENDERSON, on

Last edited by brentrocks; 08-05-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Haha, it is always tough to resist the urge to string them up! Looks great, should look even better soon!
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Too nice and unique a guitar to learn on. Send it to MJT for a Closet Clean finish in the color of your choice. Sparkling Burgundy Metallic or two tone sunburst (black or dark brown over a yellow aniline dye) might be my choice. Closet Clean is as clean as they spray. It gives you a slight head start on the break in, without looking like a stupid relic. It will wear in naturally and gracefully to your body over the years.

RS Guitar Works is also great, as is Guitar Mill. But I don't know if Guitar Mill does set necks.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-05-2020, 03:31 PM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

That looks more to me like it'd prefer to be stained.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Best of luck with it. Hope it rocks when complete.
                                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                                X