Swich from 11s to 12s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swich from 11s to 12s?

I'm trying to decide if I should switch from 11s to 12s for my jazz axs. My 59 set with double thick mags, flatwounds, and whole step down tuning make things fat enough, but the 11s just have that almost there feeling to them. Although if I went to 12s, it would increase tension and require more effort to play. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad tho.
    Yaz
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

What tuning? Aren’t flats more tension to begin with?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

D standard. My custom 11-52 flatwounds feel pretty good. My roundwound ax isn't quite fat enough. I wouldn't want to have 12s on the roundwound ax then 11s on the flatwound ax which is supposed to be the fat one. I also use high action so it's beneficial to have it easy to play since I'm focusing on improving my chord melody.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 08-04-2020, 04:58 PM.
      I bought them for you

Comment

I don't like fighting the guitar, so I'd go with whatever is easier, and try to enhance the tone another way.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I don't like fighting the guitar, so I'd go with whatever is easier, and try to enhance the tone another way.
          Agreed

Comment

Well, one thing to consider is that playing 12s means you're a bada** real man. I'm sure you must have already thought of that though.

As Mincer suggests, there are other ways to get monster tone other than fat strings (check out the Rev Willy someday). However, if you pound on your guitar like a 13 year old you may need heavy strings to keep them from buzzing on the frets. Oh wait, you already said you use high action. I guess that's confirmed, unless you're a slide player.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sorry, that was rude.
              I guess I'm just in a really rotten mood today.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                D standard. My custom 11-52 flatwounds feel pretty good. My roundwound ax isn't quite fat enough. I wouldn't want to have 12s on the roundwound ax then 11s on the flatwound ax which is supposed to be the fat one. I also use high action so it's beneficial to have it easy to play since I'm focusing on improving my chord melody.
                11s in D is like 10s in E Standard, so you are playing the equivalent of pretty standard tension right now. Going to 12s will be like 11s in Standard which is definitely not odd. I sometimes use 11s on my Tele, it’s got medium action, and with 11s it sounds great for rhythm. Too much tension for bending and lead for me, but I’ll just use a different guitar for that.

String are cheap. You know how to adjust the neck and action to compensate, I’d do it just to see how it is. Worst comes
                to worst, you just change back.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

^You're right. The 11s could be the ideal mix of enough fatness plus good playability. But I could always put 12s on my 3rd incoming jazz guitar and compare then decide.

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Sorry, that was rude.
                  I guess I'm just in a really rotten mood today.
                  Haha not too bad.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks for being understanding. Reading my post again...it WAS kinda funny.

Comment

i play 11s in standard tuning so if i was going a whole step down, especially on a jazz ax where you arent doing crazy bends, 12s for sure

Comment

Working...
                      X