OBEL Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBEL Question?

Hi folks, I hope this is the correct place to post this.

Anyhow,
    The Eastwood guitar I bought Sunday, and am currently waiting for it to get here, has an OBEL.
    i understand the basics behind them, but have never owned one. I’m pretty sure the answer is yes, but better to ask imho

You can hook up the guitar to the amp without using the OBEL, using the mono guitar output and a standard patch cord. Correct?

I do plan to use the OBEL, once I upgrade to a more suitable amp and get a mutron pedal alternative, most likely a Qtron.

Also, what is the best way to connect these up, for when I am ready to use it?

Again, thanks for any help!
    “Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.” - Jerry Garcia

“If it's worth playing, it's worth playing loud!” - Mickey Hart
    ---------------
    Current Gear:
    Fender CD-60 All Mahagony
    2013 60's CV Strat
    Mustang II v.2

yes, you can use the guitar without the loop engaged. to use the loop you want a 1/4" trs on one end, dual mono 1/4" on the other end.

Comment

Thanks Jeremy, I appreciate it.
      “Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.” - Jerry Garcia

---------------
      Current Gear:
      2013 60's CV Strat
      Mustang II v.2

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        yes, you can use the guitar without the loop engaged. to use the loop you want a 1/4" trs on one end, dual mono 1/4" on the other end.
        Just so I’m clear on what I need to get. The 1/4" trs on one end, dual mono 1/4" cord you refer to will also take the place of the standard cord I will be using in the mono output jack. The one I’ll use so I can play the guitar without the Obel, until I get what’s needed to use it?

I have also seen it mentioned that a junction box is required, to make everything work as intended, is this true? Currently the only pedal I plan on using is a QTron or similar, if that makes any difference.

---------------
        Current Gear:
        2013 60's CV Strat
        Mustang II v.2

Comment

you need a normal 1/4" cable between your guitar and amp.

you need the 1/4" trs on one end, dual mono 1/4" cord to use the fx loop in the guitar. its kinda like the four cable method but built into the guitar. you can use an obel box with a trs 1/4" cable but ive never understood why anyone would spend the money to get the box when a cable will work fine.

Comment

I looked it up on Youtube yesterday and I didn't know it even existed. I like how the effect doesn't change tone as the volume is turned down but I think it's a bit complicated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSwJM5uSvmg

Comment

jerry did it on his guitars so... it does work well for maintaining consistency in tone when using fx

you dont need the outboard box. you just need a cable with a 1/4" trs on one end and two 1/4" ts jacks on the other. one is a send, the other is a return.

Comment

Thanks for setting me straight!

---------------
                Current Gear:
                2013 60's CV Strat
                Mustang II v.2

Comment

Ok dumb question I know, but I’ve never had an OBEL.
                  How do you know which output is the mono, so I can plug it in and play it (like a normal guitar) while getting the other stuff I need to turn the OBEL on?

Will it damage anything if I accidentally plug the cord in the wrong output on the guitar?

---------------
                  Current Gear:
                  2013 60's CV Strat
                  Mustang II v.2

Comment

you wont damage anything. you could just go to the eastman site to find out which jack is the output and which is the obel but i believe the jack closer to the edge of the body, the bottom jack if you are holding the guitar in playing position, is the guitar output to the amp

Comment

Thanks again, I feel like a complete noob again, lol!

---------------
                      Current Gear:
                      2013 60's CV Strat
                      Mustang II v.2

Comment

I bet the sound man loves this!

Comment

I had no idea this existed. Eastman is kind of replicating the Jerry Garcia setup?

What are the benefits of this, how did he use it? It seems like if it was really useful outside of Jerry’s setup it would have become a lot bigger in the industry?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

wolf was the first of jerrys real custom guitars. he wanted a buffered fx loop in the guitar so the volume on the guitar itself didnt effect how the effects sounded. it works great with some rigs. basically you get your fx before your amp. i dont care for it since i prefer to get overdrive from the amp and would prefer to have fx post drive. im also not a big fx guy

Comment

Make sense, especially with a q tron. Basically moving a post effects volume pedal to the guitar knob.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X