Late 1980’s Strat aesthetics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a Strat, but I ended up with a similar aesthetic for my Tele:

It all started because the only set of tuners I had that would fit the neck were a black set of Jackson-branded Gotoh SG38s from a Charvel model series.

MIM Blacktop Tele neck
    MIM Standard body, Lake Placid Blue
    Vintage Charvel/DiMarzio/MightyMite Andy Summers-style bridge
    Hot Stack for Tele & SM-1n Vintage Mini Humbucker w/ 500K pots
    Last edited by dystrust; 08-06-2020, 07:36 PM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

That’s a cool pickup combo. I’ve always wondered if the CS could do a SM-1n in black.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        That’s a cool pickup combo. I’ve always wondered if the CS could do a SM-1n in black.
        I really like it. With the 500K pots it's almost Strat-like, and I can get closer to a PAF sound with the tone rolled off a bit. I've thought about sending mine in to have it converted to 4-conductor wiring so that I can swap to a 4-way switch for a series option as well as a push-pull phase switch.

The bridge pickup is early Zeppelin all day long.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I think I’ve got three ideas for pickup sets.

1. Active: EMG 89/SA/SA maybe with an SPC and PI2 for boost and phase. Kind of 80’s Lukather inspired.

2. Classic: JB/SSL-1/SSL-1 or SSL-5, very fitting of the era. Might do Classic Stack Plus equivalents for noise canceling.

3. Rails: Either JB/Custom/Hybrid with Vintage Rails/Hot Rails neck. Is there a “rails” bridge other than a Dimebucker that would look right with the smaller rails and still give classic tones?

I’m wondering if extra functions should be on push/pull pots or mini switches. Mini switches are of the era, but might be just too cluttered with the pearl and black.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Combination of that along with sitting on way too many conference calls!

I could easily make a 1957 style with a maple neck/surfers, etc. but I’ve got enough vintage style Stratocasters. Just looking for something fun.
            I hate conference calls. Especially when only 10 minutes of the 60 minute call is relevant to me or my tasks. It is even worse when the client insists on video conference calls.
            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

I hate conference calls. Especially when only 10 minutes of the 60 minute call is relevant to me or my tasks. It is even worse when the client insists on video conference calls.
              think this week was 28 hours of calls. As long as I’m not hosting many times I am multitasking. Now our CEO and VPs have requested us to have video cameras on all the time. No wonder I’m working 50+ hours a week now.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

think this week was 28 hours of calls. As long as I’m not hosting many times I am multitasking. Now our CEO and VPs have requested us to have video cameras on all the time. No wonder I’m working 50+ hours a week now.
                It seems working from home has only made the big wigs squeeze our time even more...
                Soundcloud

Comment

Narrowing down... I’m liking the dark fretboard and black hardware. Black knobs and pickups are a good look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6521434D-0888-4AF3-A936-7CC35B3D00A3.png
Views:	320
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	6007260
                  This, but with maple board and just two knobs (master volume and tone). For pickups, black HSS with stacks or rails. And get a 10 position Freeway Strat switch for maximum versatility.
                  Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

#9, #9, #9 . . .

Comment

Looks good to me.

Here's what I'm doing to my first guitar, an '85 MIJ '50s Strat. Working on the one-piece maple neck right now. Black nut and black Hipshot lockers. Kind of similar to the aesthetic you are sketching out, but without the saturated color.

EMGs, V/T/T/T controls, 18V (battery holders in former trem claw cavity). The EMGs came in the guitar when I first got it 30 years ago. They came out for some time, but they're back in as part of the current revamp-in-progress.

That weird extra hole in the body has been in there since I got it. The previous owner "blocked" the vibrato by putting in two pan-head screws overhanging the top of the vibrato plate. D'oh!

Click image for larger version  Name:	16531988388_15da1240ac_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	6008051
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-08-2020, 12:06 PM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        #9, #9, #9 . . .
                        Wait, which is #9? Dystrust’s tele?
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          Looks good to me.

Here's what I'm doing to my first guitar, an '85 MIJ '50s Strat. Working on the one-piece maple neck right now. Black nut and black Hipshot lockers. Kind of similar to the aesthetic you are sketching out, but without the saturated color.

EMGs, V/T/T/T controls, 18V (battery holders in former trem claw cavity). The EMGs came in the guitar when I first got it 30 years ago. They came out for some time, but they're back in as part of the current revamp-in-progress.

That weird extra hole in the body has been in there since I got it. The previous owner "blocked" the vibrato by putting in two pan-head screws overhanging the top of the vibrato plate. D'oh!

Click image for larger version Name:	16531988388_15da1240ac_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	6008051
                          Looks fun! Is that an original Kahler and EMG SAs?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Looks fun! Is that an original Kahler and EMG SAs?
                            No, not original. It was a '50s vintage style Japanese Strat when it was new. I got it with a black guard, EMGs, and a stripped and oiled neck. Played it that way for a good number of years. Converted back to '50s style, and kept it that way for a number of years. Neck suffered both water damage and the truss rod became un-anchored. It sat. Dug the old rod out and fabricated a new one. At that time, I decided to go with something like the vibe you are thinking about – '80s style mods – since it is pretty true to the actual era of the guitar, and the way some kid might have modded it back then. Tracked down an '80s Kahler pulled from a Jackson (IIRC), refurbished and installed that. Got a new guard (the old one was the same color, but ugly as hell from wear). Put the EMGs back in. Designed a new wiring scheme using all new pots, jack, and switch. Black jack plate. Black Hipshots. Black nut. Still working on the neck (needs a re-fret too). I have an Allparts neck on it for the time being.

The most frustrating aspect of the whole project? Such a thing as an open framed black stereo jack does not appear to exist.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-08-2020, 12:28 PM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Wait, which is #9? Dystrust’s tele?
                              Post #9. Sung to the tune of "Revolution #9."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Post #9. Sung to the tune of "Revolution #9."
                                Ah, ok! A lot of consensus...
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...