No announcement yet.

Late 1980’s Strat aesthetics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of curiosity, how available are replacement parts for the Kahler?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      Out of curiosity, how available are replacement parts for the Kahler?
      They're don't advertise a lot, but you can call Kahler directly, or order most things from Whammi World. It's been a while since I called them, but the last time I did the guy who answered the phone was an incredible wealth of knowledge as far as setup and maintenance.

Edit: I should add that this is for their cam-operated bridges. I'm not sure they make any of the fulcrum ones anymore, so parts are more limited for those.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

See what I wrote about my MIJ Strat that I Kahlerized, shown in this thread. I bought a used takeoff from a "vintage" Jackson. Yes, I had to lie in wait for it...but when it came along, I was ready, and I think it was only about $135. I put the time into completely disassembling, cleaning, and lubing it (which is a pretty straightforward process). They are an excellent, and eminently serviceable, product. The original low E string hook was broken, but I replace my low E string hooks with ones that accept a larger string anyhow, so no problem. Brand new part, retailed from Whammi World, dropped right in. Put a high tension spring in it, to counter the 11s I use. Also a brand new part from Whammi World.

Kahlers are easily adjustable for string spacing, height, and intonation. They are easy to service and repair. Cosmetically, they are perfect on a Strat; the baseplate fits right into the stock vibrato notch on a Strat guard. You need some neck angle for them to work their best.

You need not use them with a locking nut, and you need not do vibrato acrobatics with them (but you certainly can). They make an excellent general purpose vibrato.

They work best with Fender bullet end strings, IME.

Except for the straight back edge on the vintage baseplates (vs. curved today), there really isn't much difference between the old ones and the new ones.

Even the imports are good (4300 X-Trem).
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-17-2020, 07:39 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Been following this one and after looking over the pics in the first post multiple times, I keep going back to the 3rd from the top as my favorite one. It just screams late 80's superstrat to me, though there's not a Floyd on it, but that is OK. That's something I'd do, though with a traditional Strat headstock.

Keep in mind, if you go Warmoth with the Tele neck (or almost anywhere), you'll need to make sure you order it with a Strat heel. Tele neck heels are square. A Strat will fit in a Tele neck pocket, but it won't work the other way around.
          Last edited by ErikH; 08-18-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            Been following this one and after looking over the pics in the first post multiple times, I keep going back to the 3rd from the top as my favorite one. It just screams late 80's superstrat to me, though there's not a Floyd on it, but that is OK. That's something I'd do, though with a traditional Strat headstock.

Keep in mind, if you go Warmoth with the Tele neck (or almost anywhere), you'll need to make sure you order it with a Strat heel. Tele neck heels are square. A Strat will fit in a Tele neck pocket, but it won't work the other way around.
            What about #3? Dual Humbucker and limited controls? Metal knobs?

There’s were on the USACG website, I didn’t notice the odd headstock. It’s definitely going to be a Strat headstock.
            Last edited by PFDarkside; 08-18-2020, 10:57 AM.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

What about #3? Dual Humbucker and limited controls? Metal knobs?

There’s were on the USACG website, I didn’t notice the odd headstock. It’s definitely going to be a Strat headstock.
              Dual humbuckers, black hardware, simple controls (volume and toggle), ebony fingerboard. It has that "rock is my business" look to it.

Comment

I definitely like #3 from the top too. Although I would locate the volume knob a little further away from my picking hand and is put the toggle a little closer to where the Strat blade switch is located.
                And of course, I’d want a Floyd. That’s just me though.

Comment

Imagine mini switches or a toggle. (No black available in the mockup). I could do Lynch switching but I want to be able to split/dual coil the humbuckers. More of a Dulonge volume position.

I’m still liking the HSS with more goodies I think. I’ve got single volume passive HB guitars. The hardtail is spinning me around though! The Seafoam hardtail has been sitting there for a decade, it needs to be finished!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A229321-EFFB-4CEA-BEAA-C963438D5E3F.png
Views:	88
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	6010447
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Imagine mini switches or a toggle. (No black available in the mockup). I could do Lynch switching but I want to be able to split/dual coil the humbuckers. More of a Dulonge volume position.

I’m still liking the HSS with more goodies I think. I’ve got single volume passive HB guitars. The hardtail is spinning me around though! The Seafoam hardtail has been sitting there for a decade, it needs to be finished!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A229321-EFFB-4CEA-BEAA-C963438D5E3F.png
Views:	88
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	6010447
                    That looks HOT!!
                    I’ll bet a black pearloid guard would look killer!
                    You know those ones that are sort of black-ish, grey/silver-ish.

Comment

Working...
                    X