No announcement yet.

Incoming: NGLPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine these with black batwing guards and witch hats with thumb cutters. Yummy!

Would also look great with a half guard...but that always looks slightly odd with a stop tailpiece.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yeah, the red one would look killer with the black appointments. I'd like to see the blue one with a set of P90's.

Comment

Excellent purchase.

The local neighborhood music store just put out a LP Muse and a green Muse SG.
        Looked at it and though about the olive green that Fender used a few years ago - a really understated / noble color .... Agree with changing the pickup rings and knobs, as the original items make the guitar seem incomplete. I had to pick it up and gave it a try. The neck was closer to a taper style rather than the thicker vintage style necks and it was very comfortable. The LP was equally as nice.
        Both this and the LP Muse seem like really nice guitars for the price.

Also, I've got a PAF Master set in one of my SG's and really like them in this guitar.

Have to agree with you, the bridge has snap and stringiness while the neck has a rounder character. Once you do the change, would you please post your observations concerning the PAF Master bridge in the neck.

Thanks.
        That is not dead which can eternal lie,
        And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

^ Will do.

I might end up putting each pickup in its intended spot in the end. The output difference might be too extreme. We shall see what happens. But like I said, I have swapped bridge and neck pickups on modern balanced sets before, and liked what I got.

I had a hard time choosing between the four pickups made in the PAF Master and PAF '59 sets. In the end, I mostly ignored output and DCR, and let the e.q. numbers be my deciding factor. I chose the neck pickup that had the highest mids in relation to the treble. I like a neck pickup that has a mid bump ("mountain" shaped e.q.) – not a bright top end. And I like bridge pickups to be cutting and bright, with lots of treble and high mid, and not a ton of low end. I chose the bridge pickup that gave me the highest treble rating while having the same bass rating as the neck pickup. Since the guitar does not have an onboard bass control, I want the bass setting on the amp to apply equally well to both pickups.

DiMarzio makes choosing quite easy, though. They give you all this, with a minimum of mouse clicks – not to mention easily being able to order different bobbin colors, baseplates, bobbin materials, lead types, and hardware colors through Sweetwater without shop floor custom fees. Duncan should take note, and emulate.

PAF '59 Neck:

Output 202
          Bass 5.0
          Mid 5.5
          Treble 5.5
          DCR 8.2K
          Degaussed A5

PAF '59 Bridge:

Output 215
          Bass 5.5
          Mid 5.5
          Treble 5.0
          DCR 8.5K
          Degaussed A5

PAF Master Neck:

Output 193
          Bass 4.5
          Mid 5.5
          Treble 5.5
          DCR 7.36K with differently "tuned" coils
          A5

PAF Master Bridge:

Output 278
          Bass 5.0
          Mid 6.0
          Treble 5.0
          DCR 7.69K
          A4
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-15-2020, 03:26 PM.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Nice guitar man! I'm a huge fan of what Epiphone's got going on with this "Muse" line. I wish they had more of the same Epi Muse color options for the Gibson Les Paul Modern. Oh well... guess I'll have to snag an epi

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Imagine these with black batwing guards and witch hats with thumb cutters. Yummy!

Would also look great with a half guard...but that always looks slightly odd with a stop tailpiece.
              I think with finishes like this, it would be a shame to cover them up with pickguards.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Beautiful. And light. Plus, blackback and a belly cut. Great guitar!

Looking forward to another pic of it with the black rings & knobs and a set of zebras.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Parts for the mods started arriving today.

Found this for a few bucks used, shipping included. Right typeface and right color lettering for what I want (white, not gold), and better quality stamping than the brand new three dollar ones that I could find.

An original black Epi jack plate and a handful of genuine Epi jacks are on the way from China. Epi jacks and plates have the excellent no-twist feature, which appears to be proprietary, hence the tracking down of OEM parts for that part of the project. Plus, it means that I don’t have to fill and drill for the slightly differently sized Gibson jack plate.

I might want to sell off the stock wiring as a complete, unaltered set (except for the pickup and switch wires being pulled), which is why I bothered to buy new jacks.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-16-2020, 08:13 PM.
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

What is a "no twist feature" for the jack?

Comment

Working...
                    X