banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More SDUGF Green Singlecut Madness: Seeking Custom Guitar Finisher for Warmoth Regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItsaBass
    replied
    As for the bleaching thing, it's not something you just want to order some body maker or finisher to do, and expect to get the right result the first time. You need to do your due diligence with experimentation first. That way you can know exactly what process to use.

I would assume that the best way to do it would be to bleach scraps and send them out for finishing samples.

Then you'd probably be best served by receiving the completed body and bleaching it yourself, before sending it out for finishing.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    I have a solid swamp ash Warmoth J bass as well. With a bubinga neck. That is like a Fat Boy Harley. I think it is almost 13 pounds if I remember right. Maybe 12. It is a heavyweight, but it packs a mean haymaker.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Originally posted by Top-L View Post
    How heavy do you want it to be? 7#? 9#? 11?

I have an Ibanez Swamp Ash full size ATK bass, that I just weighed at 10lb, 8oz. I thought it would be heavier than that.

I'm guessing that wood used in a Singlecut 6-string would be 7.5-8#.
    I am getting a chambered body, I have learned to not have weight expectations with custom order guitars. I currently have one solid, non-chambered singlecut swamp ash (the one in my avatar photo). It is a bit hefty but not an anchor. I forgot the exact weight. I have another all swamp ash Regal on the way already, that one will be chambered. All my swamp ash bodies will be chambered from now on. They are just... better. I am happy I own one that is not though, because it is a special wood to me.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    How heavy do you want it to be? 7#? 9#? 11?

I have an Ibanez Swamp Ash full size ATK bass, that I just weighed at 10lb, 8oz. I thought it would be heavier than that.

I'm guessing that wood used in a Singlecut 6-string would be 7.5-8#.
    Last edited by Top-L; 08-09-2020, 01:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied

Post a pic of the color you want.

It would be a good idea to find a guitar with the top you want, so you know it CAN be done. The way you describe the bright neon green, might not be possible with the amount of grain you want showing.

You can get the LTD for around 800. Just sayin.
    Cost is of no concern to me when it comes to getting what I want. I know what I want can be done. MastaC posted photos of the proof it can be done. Marty Bell will send me samples. If anyone can do it, Marty can. I have all the faith in the world in him.

This guitar will be gorgeous. I will post photos when it is done as proof, until then, I have no interest in buying anything else. I have plenty of guitars to play until this one is done

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

That is a beautiful guitar, but I never cave to the temptation of instant gratification. Instant gratification is for people who do not know what they really want in life. I have a specific color in mind, so a specific color I shall get. That Ltd is not the color I want, but itnis gorgeous.
    Post a pic of the color you want.

It would be a good idea to find a guitar with the top you want, so you know it CAN be done. The way you describe the bright neon green, might not be possible with the amount of grain you want showing.

You can get the LTD for around 800. Just sayin.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Instant gratification:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	xlarge.?1514996622.png Views:	0 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	6008266
    That is a beautiful guitar, but I never cave to the temptation of instant gratification. Instant gratification is for people who do not know what they really want in life. I have a specific color in mind, so a specific color I shall get. That Ltd is not the color I want, but it is gorgeous.
    Last edited by Snake Aces; 08-09-2020, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    Instant gratification:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	xlarge.?1514996622.png
Views:	150
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	6008266

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    By many reports, bleaching seems to work really well on Ash. How much "whiter" you can get than the freshly sanded wood, as Itsabass mentioned, I don't know, but I imagine countering the tannins in any shade of wood from its natural state is going to help the "brightness" factor of the final stain and keep it looking brighter long-term.

As for grain contrast, I'm not sure what the bleach would do, but there are lots of ways to bring back contrast if needed, including various color grain fillers.

I'm contemplating making this DIY. I mean, if I have to bleach, grain fill, and sand a body, then it's pretty much ready for a stain and a can of 2K satin clear is like $20, LOL! I have 2 bodies coming...I could experiment on 1, I suppose.

I'm just not sure if dying the wood is actually going to give that bright, nearly "neon" appearance, even on white wood. PRS manages a pretty good bright green color on their "Eriza Verde" guitars, but I'm fairly certain the Warmoth and possibly the Ibanez are tinted paints, not actual stains.
    Interesting. I wonder if Marty has ever tried bleaching ash. Either way, I am not going to try a DIY on another carved top Regal. Last time I attempted a DIY, it was a disaster. Marty is getting my business for sure, but I will ask him about bleaching.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    By many reports, bleaching seems to work really well on Ash. How much "whiter" you can get than the freshly sanded wood, as Itsabass mentioned, I don't know, but I imagine countering the tannins in any shade of wood from its natural state is going to help the "brightness" factor of the final stain and keep it looking brighter long-term.

As for grain contrast, I'm not sure what the bleach would do, but there are lots of ways to bring back contrast if needed, including various color grain fillers.

I'm contemplating making this DIY. I mean, if I have to bleach, grain fill, and sand a body, then it's pretty much ready for a stain and a can of 2K satin clear is like $20, LOL! I have 2 bodies coming...I could experiment on 1, I suppose.

I'm just not sure if dying the wood is actually going to give that bright, nearly "neon" appearance, even on white wood. PRS manages a pretty good bright green color on their "Eriza Verde" guitars, but I'm fairly certain the Warmoth and possibly the Ibanez are tinted paints, not actual stains.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    I also did not know about wood bleaching. I really am curious how it would work on a wood such as black korina or mahogany.

I wonder how it would work on ash as well, considering the idea is to make the grain pop, would the bleach affect the grain's visual effectiveness?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I didn't know about wood bleaching. I really like the results on those dark woods, which might make it easier to pick a body or neck wood for the tone and not discount it because the wood is visually too dark. Neat idea.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Here is a very brief introductory article on bleaching: https://www.woodmagazine.com/materia...th-wood-bleach.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    I missed the bleaching part. I'll have to go back and look
    I didn't say much about it – just to look into it. It takes some practice, but I believe that it might have great utility for achieving brighter and more chromatically pure translucent finishes.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    I missed the bleaching part. I'll have to go back and look

Leave a comment:

Working...
X