banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More SDUGF Green Singlecut Madness: Seeking Custom Guitar Finisher for Warmoth Regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind, the purple heart will be denser and heavier than swamp ash, so be careful picking tuners so it doesn't become neck-heavy.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
      I would contact Marty Bell...
      I actually just reached out to him myself. If Warmoth won't do a transparent neon green finish, I believe Marty will!

His work looks amazing, BTW

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

I actually just reached out to him myself. If Warmoth won't do a transparent neon green finish, I believe Marty will!

His work looks amazing, BTW
        Yeah, I agree. I have not reached out to Marty yet, but I will if Warmoth says no.
        Soundcloud

Comment

Marty got back to me. He said that Warmoth's "trans neon green" is not really a true "neon" finish, being a little darker in person than it appears in well-lit photos, but he can duplicate that transparent bright green color easily. From what I understood, doing a satin version of that finish is also possible.

Comment

Marty got back to me. He said that Warmoth's "trans neon green" is not really a true "neon" finish, being a little darker in person than it appears in well-lit photos, but he can duplicate that transparent bright green color easily. From what I understood, doing a satin version of that finish is also possible.
            Awesome! I am going to PM you to discuss his quote. I am sure he does not want us discussing quotes publicly, not to mention every body is going to require a unique estimate.
            Soundcloud

Comment

I finally contacted Marty Bell. This may happen yet. I have not decided on pickups yet, but I will get there. I am tempted to go with a CS 78 set now... they do usually sound good in other bright guitars and I want this green one to sing.
              Soundcloud

Comment

I have decided I will go with a Custom Shop 78 pickup set for this build. It will be a chambered swamp ash Regal body with a quilted maple top (I would prefer a swamp ash top, but I found a quilted maple option I like) hopefully finished by Marty Bell (I have yet to discuss it with him, but that is the plan). Transparent neon green dye on the top with transparent neon green for the swamp ash back as well. Purpleheart neck, 24.75" scale, glow in the dark skull and crossbone inlay. Custom shop 78 set with 4-conductor for push/push volume pots. Thanks for all the help everyone! I can't wait to see this one come together...

I will try to get in touch with Warmoth to request a purpleheart neck and fretboard that will look quite purple next to such a bright green body. Maybe they will throw me a bone, but if not, at least I tried
                Soundcloud

Comment

Good call on the finisher. Many Bell, IME, is among the very best you can get for a urethane paint job.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

SnakeAces and I are after similar colors for our projects. We both want bright, transparent greens with grain showing. Here are some samples we both like so far, one in Trans Neon Green Satin from Warmoth and the other from a newer Ibanez RG5220M. I really like the grain contrast of the Ibanez best.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Warmoth Trans Neon Green Satin.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	6008163

Click image for larger version  Name:	ibanez-rgr5220m-prestige-trans-fluorescent-green-815490.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.2 KB ID:	6008164
                    Last edited by Masta' C; 08-08-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Indeed, I really want this green to pop. Very bright. I want to look at this guitar and feel like it is something from a comic book!
                      Soundcloud

Comment

You guys should really do some experimenting with wood bleaching, as I mentioned a few pages ago.

There isn't a ton more lightness to be achieved with freshly surfaced ash...but you can get SOME.
                        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I missed the bleaching part. I'll have to go back and look

Comment

I missed the bleaching part. I'll have to go back and look
                            I didn't say much about it – just to look into it. It takes some practice, but I believe that it might have great utility for achieving brighter and more chromatically pure translucent finishes.
                            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Here is a very brief introductory article on bleaching: https://www.woodmagazine.com/materia...th-wood-bleach.
                              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I didn't know about wood bleaching. I really like the results on those dark woods, which might make it easier to pick a body or neck wood for the tone and not discount it because the wood is visually too dark. Neat idea.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X