banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More SDUGF Green Singlecut Madness: Seeking Custom Guitar Finisher for Warmoth Regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also did not know about wood bleaching. I really am curious how it would work on a wood such as black korina or mahogany.

I wonder how it would work on ash as well, considering the idea is to make the grain pop, would the bleach affect the grain's visual effectiveness?
    Soundcloud

Comment

By many reports, bleaching seems to work really well on Ash. How much "whiter" you can get than the freshly sanded wood, as Itsabass mentioned, I don't know, but I imagine countering the tannins in any shade of wood from its natural state is going to help the "brightness" factor of the final stain and keep it looking brighter long-term.

As for grain contrast, I'm not sure what the bleach would do, but there are lots of ways to bring back contrast if needed, including various color grain fillers.

I'm contemplating making this DIY. I mean, if I have to bleach, grain fill, and sand a body, then it's pretty much ready for a stain and a can of 2K satin clear is like $20, LOL! I have 2 bodies coming...I could experiment on 1, I suppose.

I'm just not sure if dying the wood is actually going to give that bright, nearly "neon" appearance, even on white wood. PRS manages a pretty good bright green color on their "Eriza Verde" guitars, but I'm fairly certain the Warmoth and possibly the Ibanez are tinted paints, not actual stains.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
        By many reports, bleaching seems to work really well on Ash. How much "whiter" you can get than the freshly sanded wood, as Itsabass mentioned, I don't know, but I imagine countering the tannins in any shade of wood from its natural state is going to help the "brightness" factor of the final stain and keep it looking brighter long-term.

As for grain contrast, I'm not sure what the bleach would do, but there are lots of ways to bring back contrast if needed, including various color grain fillers.

I'm contemplating making this DIY. I mean, if I have to bleach, grain fill, and sand a body, then it's pretty much ready for a stain and a can of 2K satin clear is like $20, LOL! I have 2 bodies coming...I could experiment on 1, I suppose.

I'm just not sure if dying the wood is actually going to give that bright, nearly "neon" appearance, even on white wood. PRS manages a pretty good bright green color on their "Eriza Verde" guitars, but I'm fairly certain the Warmoth and possibly the Ibanez are tinted paints, not actual stains.
        Interesting. I wonder if Marty has ever tried bleaching ash. Either way, I am not going to try a DIY on another carved top Regal. Last time I attempted a DIY, it was a disaster. Marty is getting my business for sure, but I will ask him about bleaching.
        Soundcloud

Comment

Instant gratification:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	xlarge.?1514996622.png
Views:	148
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	6008266

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
            Instant gratification:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	xlarge.?1514996622.png Views:	0 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	6008266
            That is a beautiful guitar, but I never cave to the temptation of instant gratification. Instant gratification is for people who do not know what they really want in life. I have a specific color in mind, so a specific color I shall get. That Ltd is not the color I want, but it is gorgeous.
            Last edited by Snake Aces; 08-09-2020, 01:00 PM.
            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

That is a beautiful guitar, but I never cave to the temptation of instant gratification. Instant gratification is for people who do not know what they really want in life. I have a specific color in mind, so a specific color I shall get. That Ltd is not the color I want, but itnis gorgeous.
              Post a pic of the color you want.

It would be a good idea to find a guitar with the top you want, so you know it CAN be done. The way you describe the bright neon green, might not be possible with the amount of grain you want showing.

You can get the LTD for around 800. Just sayin.

Comment

Post a pic of the color you want.

It would be a good idea to find a guitar with the top you want, so you know it CAN be done. The way you describe the bright neon green, might not be possible with the amount of grain you want showing.

You can get the LTD for around 800. Just sayin.
                Cost is of no concern to me when it comes to getting what I want. I know what I want can be done. MastaC posted photos of the proof it can be done. Marty Bell will send me samples. If anyone can do it, Marty can. I have all the faith in the world in him.

This guitar will be gorgeous. I will post photos when it is done as proof, until then, I have no interest in buying anything else. I have plenty of guitars to play until this one is done
                Soundcloud

Comment

How heavy do you want it to be? 7#? 9#? 11?

I have an Ibanez Swamp Ash full size ATK bass, that I just weighed at 10lb, 8oz. I thought it would be heavier than that.

I'm guessing that wood used in a Singlecut 6-string would be 7.5-8#.
                  Last edited by Top-L; 08-09-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

How heavy do you want it to be? 7#? 9#? 11?

I have an Ibanez Swamp Ash full size ATK bass, that I just weighed at 10lb, 8oz. I thought it would be heavier than that.

I'm guessing that wood used in a Singlecut 6-string would be 7.5-8#.
                    I am getting a chambered body, I have learned to not have weight expectations with custom order guitars. I currently have one solid, non-chambered singlecut swamp ash (the one in my avatar photo). It is a bit hefty but not an anchor. I forgot the exact weight. I have another all swamp ash Regal on the way already, that one will be chambered. All my swamp ash bodies will be chambered from now on. They are just... better. I am happy I own one that is not though, because it is a special wood to me.
                    Soundcloud

Comment

I have a solid swamp ash Warmoth J bass as well. With a bubinga neck. That is like a Fat Boy Harley. I think it is almost 13 pounds if I remember right. Maybe 12. It is a heavyweight, but it packs a mean haymaker.
                      Soundcloud

Comment

As for the bleaching thing, it's not something you just want to order some body maker or finisher to do, and expect to get the right result the first time. You need to do your due diligence with experimentation first. That way you can know exactly what process to use.

I would assume that the best way to do it would be to bleach scraps and send them out for finishing samples.

Then you'd probably be best served by receiving the completed body and bleaching it yourself, before sending it out for finishing.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Good to know!
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Okay, now I am back home. Here is what I have in mind if I get the quilted maple top. Of course, the quilted pattern will be different, but I really like the black and green technique on this dye. I do not like the color. I want the color MastaC posted, but with a dye technique similar to this for the top:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1577102952740619.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.7 KB ID:	6008361
                            For the swamp ash back, I want a standard transparent neon green finish, but hopefully with a grain filler that really makes it pop. I will have the conversation with Marty when he is available and go from there.
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Geez! That is a pretty incredible finish! I would say the lighter green areas in that photo aren't too far off from the "trans neon" finishes I posted

Unfortunately, a Google image search reveals that picture is just a printed graphic, where it's easy to make the contrast intense and the greens bright: https://www.inzaneskins.com/inzane-o...MAPLE%20Series

I sort of don't understand why crazy bright green isn't a thing in woodworking? Outside of PRS' Eriza Verde, no one really bothers with it.

Name:	DSC_3927-300x429.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	6008528

Though I would say that Carvin/Kiesel is known for some pretty dramatic quilt maple tops!

Name:	14629_11402915_1597777507172212_5795533765887500323_o_2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	6008529

Name:	nz624m-qdm6-bgb-qph4-hh-tn-stf-fmf-dab-5wi-bc-ak-abl-124784_gallery.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	6008530

Comment

Ah, that makes more sense. Well, from the photos you just posted, the bottom one comes the closest to what I have in mind.

I am starting to think there is a possibility the message I tried to submit to Marty did not get delivered. I used the form on the website, but it never really felt like anything loaded. I may have to try a regular e-mail.

I agree though, why isn't a bright neon green used more in the industry? They look wild!
                                Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                                X