banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More SDUGF Green Singlecut Madness: Seeking Custom Guitar Finisher for Warmoth Regal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post
    Okay, now I am back home. Here is what I have in mind if I get the quilted maple top. Of course, the quilted pattern will be different, but I really like the black and green technique on this dye. I do not like the color. I want the color MastaC posted, but with a dye technique similar to this for the top:

Click image for larger version Name:	1577102952740619.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.7 KB ID:	6008361
    For the swamp ash back, I want a standard transparent neon green finish, but hopefully with a grain filler that really makes it pop. I will have the conversation with Marty when he is available and go from there.
    I dont think that is a real wood top. Look at the not so subtle face behind the bridge. My guess its a printed veneer.

OTH, if you like it, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I dont think that is a real wood top. Look at the not so subtle face behind the bridge. My guess its a printed veneer.

OTH, if you like it, why not?
      Obviously I was just looking for a quick example. Mine will have a real maple top. No worries there.
      Soundcloud

Comment

Here's "Kiesel Racing Green" in what they call their "raw tone satin finish" with a bunch of ugly other stuff tacked on, LOL! Looks good sprayed on Ash like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	jbo6x-rtf-krg-ash-thnn-stf-r14-mf-138761_gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	6008562

And they call this one "deep moss green":

Click image for larger version

Name:	nz624m-qdm6-bgb-qph4-hh-tn-stf-fmf-dab-5wi-bc-ak-abl-124784_gallery.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	6008587
        Last edited by Masta' C; 08-10-2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          Here's "Kiesel Racing Green" in what they call their "raw tone satin finish" with a bunch of ugly other stuff tacked on, LOL! Looks good sprayed on Ash like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	jbo6x-rtf-krg-ash-thnn-stf-r14-mf-138761_gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	6008562
          I like this, except for covering the grain. I like the color a lot though, well, minus the Crayola set.
          Soundcloud

Comment

Bummer, this was Marty's response. I guess maybe it cannot be done after all:

"if your going to have Warmouth build the body, why not get them to paint the transparent green you want,they do a real nice one ,and then you don’t have to ship it or anything just have them do the whole job, we all use the same paints and they do nice paint work there as well.
            Marty"
            Soundcloud

Comment

Makes sense, you just need to see if they can do what you want. If not, let Marty know and see what he says. He seems to be of the impression that Warmoth can do what you want. If they can, then it definitely saves a step and he's right...Warmoth does good work.

Comment

It sounds to me like he is concerned expectations may be unrealistic and he has tactfully bowed out or at least started the process of lowering expectations.

My guess is that kind of pop is as much to do with the wood as the paint, so best to keep the ball in warmoths court.

Comment

His follow up response:

"I cant do that, the neon colors are a two stage process and are made from very different materials, to do a neon color they must be applied over a fully covered bright white base color,they cannot be done in a transparent,Warmouth has a transparent green they call neon green but its not neon and its not as bright as the pictures look online,they call it a transparent neon green as a sale gimmick, but its not neon and its not that great ,its just a rich lighter medium lime green transparent candy color,Ive done many of them.
                  Marty"
                  Soundcloud

Comment

Well, at least he was honest! Marty seems like a really great guy. Too bad he can't quite do what you're after.

Sounds like it's time to put the pressure on Warmoth to see what they can do since you're ordering the body from them.

I'm still rolling around this "bleached wood" thing for maximizing the brightness of stains. Since my bodies are only ash, I don't think they'd benefit from the high-contrast staining that a flame maple would, for example. If I could replicate the finish on that Ibanez, I'd be happy! Even if I sent them off to Marty for a trans "neon" finish, I wonder if the bleaching would really help it pop that much more...

Comment

I am not going to put any pressure on Warmoth. They really just got back up and running about a month ago. They have a message from July 7 about a huge backlog of work.

Spike has been my go-to-guy at Warmoth for well over a decade now. He is the man. He already sent me an e-mail about two weeks ago assuring me he is on the case when it comes to my other requests (two other carved top Regals with a swamp ash top).

I replied by expressing my appreciation for his efforts. He has never let me down in the past, but the last thing anybody needs right now in these pandemic times is pressure. I will ask Spike about a transparent neon green finish possibility for this build. I already have all the parts in my cart, if it can be done, I will have him slap the finish on the body and order it. If not, I will scrap the idea until a luthier can handle it.

Right now I am trying to acquire a few of these Warmoth Regals because I want to decide what I want in one or two custom singlecut guitars built by orpheo. The only way to discover what I really want is to spend some time playing some different combinations on top of what I already have..

When I ordered the custom bass with orpheo, I already knew exactly what I wanted. For guitars, I want orpheo to build me my ultimate blue singlecut and possibly a purple singlecut as well... but first, I want to spend some time making sure I know what I want in a custom orpheo 6 string.

Anyway, yeah, Marty is awesome! I feel bad about wasting his time, but I am so appreciative of his honesty.
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

I like this, except for covering the grain. I like the color a lot though, well, minus the Crayola set.
                        That is a cool color. A nice variation on the Jason Becker Numbers guitar.

Comment

Working...
                        X