NGD: Japanese Vintage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Japanese Vintage...

Here's a gem I picked up at the pawn shop with some Covid-19 money. It is an El Degas Studio guitar made in Japan. These guitars were made from 1979 to the early 1980's. The first ones were made in Japan and the later ones made in Korea. They were exclusive to the Canadian market so availability in the U.S. might be rare. Mine was made in Japan so it is one of the early ones...probably 1979? I got a great deal on this one for only $250 (no tax).

There's not a whole lot of info on this one but I know it has a 25 1/4" scale length...just short of a Fender but longer than a Gibson or PRS. The pickups in this guitar are SUPER KILLER! I also love the bridge with the brass saddles and is a string-thru-body like a Telecaster guitar...early ones. This guitar has somewhat an unusual body shape but the upper fret access is phenomenal. It has such a cool vintage vide to it. I believe the body is oak with either pine or maple with a rosewood center stripe. I plan to spend some quality time with this vintage axe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xVDVGZF.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	6007680

Name:	O2HdUVx.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	6007681

Name:	DZMsdsv.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	6007682

Name:	mm8wHlA.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	6007683

Name:	EUb3V8M.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	6007684

Name:	XaYnVlG.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	6007685

Name:	wtAT7Xd.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	6007686

Name:	unvHjvk.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	6007687

;>)/

sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Thread title is interesting, because your guitar is very close to my Matsumoku built Vantage. Matsumoku built a lot of guitars for a lot of people.
    I wonder if your Degas is one?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vantage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	6007733

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Thread title is interesting, because your guitar is very close to my Matsumoku built Vantage. Matsumoku built a lot of guitars for a lot of people.
      I wonder if your Degas is one?

Click image for larger version Name:	Vantage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	6007733
      Wow...your guitar is super nice! It has 2 center stripes compared to mine with one and a set-neck.. I'm trying to find out info on El Degas so maybe Matsumoku built? El Degas was a French guitar maker that started back in the early 1970's and moved operations to Japan in the late 1970's. Maybe they could have been made at Fuji-Gen? I'll try to find moire info. Thanks food posting your lovely axe.

;>)/

Comment

Thanks. It's yet another project waiting for some time and TLC. I hope I get to it.

Comment

Cool axe, congrsts.

Looking at the headstock, I see where ESP got the inspiration for the Eclipse headstock...
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
            Cool axe, congrsts.

Looking at the headstock, I see where ESP got the inspiration for the Eclipse headstock...
            You are absolutely right! An ESP headstock...that is dead on!

;>)/

Comment

Before I read your post, I looked at the pics and thought you were going to say that you picked it up at a pawn shop for $49. I don't know anything about that guitar but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have paid $250. Perhaps you got a steal on a fun addition to a collection of antiques?
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Before I read your post, I looked at the pics and thought you were going to say that you picked it up at a pawn shop for $49. I don't know anything about that guitar but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have paid $250. Perhaps you got a steal on a fun addition to a collection of antiques?
                Long time no see me friend!

Name:	1rlxq4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	6008364

;>)/

Comment

Working...
                X