banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD - Alder with walnut top & ebony fretboard/stainless frets..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusted the bridge pup height ...got it sounding right the way I want it to

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-13-2020, 09:44 PM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

BUMP..cuz it's got a new sister

Had a pretty hard time getting a hold of one too....they were sold out everywhere, but I got lucky. This is the very last one they had in stock. Had to go way across town to their own "Kadence Store" to pick it up ..dude there said they all sold out in the last week or two... bunch of orders from the US apparently

I should have charged them a commission haha..

Anyway...another killer axe, everything as good as the last ...the walnut one is prettier, but this one, if anything sounds even sweeter..has an incredible top end for solo's. They're both chunky as **** for rhythm. My plan was to swap out the bridge pup for a Fockin Hot Breeze or a SD JB I have lying around ..but now I can't get myself to

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-25-2020, 08:36 AM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Nice! Yeah you probably started a run on them.

Comment

Did a bit of fret levelling (13th fret A & D strings, 2oth fret D string) ...not that they were fretting out but there was bit of annoying buzz...so I filed them down a hair & now it's gone...plays like butter with a nice fast low action and sweet, sweet tone

Little test run w/ the bridge pup..

Youtube

Comment

Like them Laboga heads too, they look like little beasts. Never seen those before. I just know him from the k100/v30 speaker cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
              Like them Laboga heads too, they look like little beasts. Never seen those before. I just know him from the k100/v30 speaker cabs.
              Thanks....that's 'cause they literally are little beasts lol. 'The Beast 30 Plus' & 'The Beast Classic 30'...both 30 watts ..& they both sound really nice. The Plus is a bit more modern/gainier (Metallica/Arch Enemy/Andy Sneap type stuff/80's metal/thrash/old school death metal) & the Classic 30 is great for anything from 70's rock/Sabbath/Soundgarden/modern Sabbath/80's metal..

They also make the 100W "Mr. Hector" amp (& the Jeff Waters signature variant) which is pretty damn awesome for anything metal....
              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-29-2020, 07:02 AM.

Youtube

Comment

...and shred ..they're both pretty sweet for shred

This is with Mooer GE300 'tone captures' but they're pretty much the same thing...

Classic 30

30 Plus

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-29-2020, 07:07 AM.

Youtube

Comment

That looks like a lot of guitar for $150. Wow, Tusk XL nut on a cheap guitar! I like how even though it's 3x3 the strings still have a pretty straight line over the nut (not like the Gibson type headstock). Congrats on your new acquisition.

What is the fretboard radius?
                  What is the width at the nut?

Some interesting observations:
                  You say the body top is walnut but it's definitely not. Looks like rosewood or mahogany to me.
                  The specs say chrome tuners but obviously they are black.
                  Specs also say toggle switch, but it's a blade.
                  Looks like the humbucker was mounted too close to the bridge, you can see some of the rout showing beyond the ring on the neck side. That could easily be corrected though.

But like I said, it seems to be a pretty dang nice looking guitar for the price.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks..yeah, it's definitely great bang for the buck...& soundwise I can't think of a guitar I own that sounds 'better' tbh...

Sorry I have no idea regarding the radius...other than that it's extremely comfortable to fret and play in general...regarding nut width I can't find anything to measure that with right now. I'll look around in the morning.

The top of the first guitar I bought (on page 1 of the thread) is listed as walnut..the second one up there is Rosewood.

If you zoom in to the venner pic It looks like this sort of walnut that's been stained:

http://www.veneer-factory-outlet.com...s-savings-q-c/

I mean that's what the grain pattern looks like...with the stripey things. It's pretty much identical.

I also saw some of the walnut topped guitars with swirly grained tops (definitely looked like walnut to me) when I went to their own store to buy the last Rosewood-top one they had.

I don't think they'd get away with calling it walnut if it was'nt ..even here in India

Yeah, some bright spark screwed the pup-ring in a bit low ...you can't tell Unless you look at it from an angle. did'nt noticed that till a couple of days ago. But yeah, easy fix....I just like the way it sounds right now so I left it as it is

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                      The top of the first guitar I bought (on page 1 of the thread) is listed as walnut..the second one up there is Rosewood.
                      Yeah, they also "list" chrome tuners and toggle switch. It still doesn't look like walnut to me.

If you zoom in to the venner pic It looks like this sort of walnut that's been stained

http://www.veneer-factory-outlet.com...s-savings-q-c/

I mean that's what the grain pattern looks like...with the stripey things. It's pretty much identical.
                      The grain pattern looks similar to the ones in your link, but walnut has very small tight pores, almost non-existent, your pores are very open like rosewood almost even like mahogany. It could be some species of walnut that I'm not familiar with however. I am no expert on every wood type.

I don't think they'd get away with calling it walnut if it was'nt ..even here in India
                      Like I said, they get away with calling that a toggle and chrome tuners. It's a lot easier to get away with calling wood a different type

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

haha...but not the same thing..

They do say "5-way toggle" (& toggles are 2-3 way at the most..) I submit the word they were looking for is "switch" (English is a second & often 3rd or 4th language here)

Regarding tuners well...they do have another walnut-top model with chrome ones and a chrome tremolo bridge...they may have just mixed it up (someone got lazy & cut/pasted some specs ) Don't think they were tryng to fool anyone by passing off black tuners as chrome . I mean their online listings have umpteen pics of the guitar and it's tuners & people have eyes. (same goes for the toggle)

The difference is they're being sold under the monicker's/heading's "Alder with walnut top" & "Alder with rosewood top" in all the stores, physical & online everywhere... that's not something that's tucked into their specs list.....'

Lastly the dude at their store said that when they introduced them three years ago they were priced at Rs.30.000 (USD 410) not 10,000-12,000 like they are now after being heavily discounted (like I said in a previous post people here don't buy Indian guitars. as a rule, so that initial price was a bit adventurous of them). The nut is a Tusq XL (43mm) & def looks like the real thing ..I have them on 3 other guitars....plus, these things keep perfect tune, both of them.
                        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-29-2020, 08:15 PM.

Youtube

Comment

This stuff ("Indian Walnut" on the right....might have to zoom in) looks close enough to what's on the guitar for me.. ..it's even practically the same color

Now it might be Walnut the way asian "Mahogany" is Mahogany as used by Ibanez, Epi, Schecter, Ltd, PRS SE, BC Rich etc.. etc..but I think it's legit enough...
                          Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-29-2020, 10:25 PM.

Youtube

Comment

I don't know if it is a 'true' walnut, as that doesn't have as much red in there. It is a pretty wood, though, no matter what they call it.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They've definitely stained it a bit...but to my eye it looks like "Indian Walnut" (whether that's actually walnut or not I have no idea ...but it's what passes for it here )

Close up..

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's ^^ what it is..
                              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-29-2020, 10:45 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Sorry if I missed it but; What is $150 price = compared to USA market? Is it like paying double that here?
                                I'mean not $ exchange rate, but more in terms of how much people make there vs the $150 price.
                                Last edited by dave74; 08-29-2020, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X