Incoming: NLTG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming: NLTG

I have a new "lottery ticket" guitar coming in a few days. I'm calling it a lottery ticket because I've bought it sight unseen and there seems to be a large variance in the quality of tops.

Why buy it sight unseen? Because 20% discount. There is a new batch on sweetwater that are quite poor compared to the others I've seen, so those are out. Hoping for something decent looking with a great neck, doesn't need to be stunning.

It feels like gambling. I'm thinking it will be here Wednesday, but not sure.

Looks aren't everything - better to get one that doesn't look beautiful but plays and feels great, than a beauty which doesn't feel lively or play well.
    Good luck; hope it's a pleasant surprise.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I will take 'plays great' over 'looks great' every time. Sweetwater generally doesn't disappoint, though. Let us know how this turns out.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I ordered it from pas at 20% off new. What's sketchy is that they also had a used one for sale at 25% off.

After the order was completed, both items went out of stock. Reading up about pas, find that they often advertise new as used to bypass map. The game is to buy it at used price and hope you get new.. they probably only had one in stock.

So either I paid more than I had to, or I got something that wasn't really new.

I've ordered some rack pres, compressors, and mics, and recently a new guitar from them, all perfect. So I'm not sure I should be worried. Worst case scenario it was a return. I expect new means nib, and hasn't been rejected by someone else. But they did also have it listed as used.

Probably not an issue..just ranting.

Comment

What is pas? All I get is Professional Audio Systems, a studio soundproofing company.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

PAS is ProAudio Star
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Scheduled delivery:
              Wednesday 8/12/2020 by end of day

IN TRANSIT

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Comment

Just unboxed it and really pleased! This was NIB and does not appear to ever have been opened. Love the top and the colors. Will try to get better pics later. Fretwork is immaculate. Ebony board has some nice detail streaks and wasn't dyed. Binding looks good all around.

I may have got one of the last MIK versions of this guitar. ESP has been moving production from Korea to Indonesia. The new shipment that Sweetwater received are MII and don't have bookmatched top or transparent purple back. It seems like all the ESP LTD 1000 M, MH, and H series are now MII. I knew I had to jump when I saw the MII models appear on SW. Got the last one from PAS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200812_150117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	6009074

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200812_150332.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	6009077Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200812_150357.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	6009085
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200812_150346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	6009083
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Top-L; 08-12-2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Great color! It reminds me of the Steve Morse Y2D. I look forward to the full review.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nice! I dig the finish, and the bookmatched top for sure. Purple back is way cool too; shows off the neck-thru nicely.

Don't know if it's me or just the picture, but do those frets look super tall? Or an unusual wire shape maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      Nice! I dig the finish, and the bookmatched top for sure. Purple back is way cool too; shows off the neck-thru nicely.

Don't know if it's me or just the picture, but do those frets look super tall? Or an unusual wire shape maybe?
                      They are narrow jumbos.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Looks sweet. Love the color. Enjoy.

Comment

Well OK... Ive adjusted the truss rod and action and I'm waiting for things to settle before doing the intonation. Action is great without any work. Just did a slight truss adjustment and lowered the bridge 1/4 turn.

One of the things I was looking forward to was taking out the EMG pickup set (hate EMGs) and selling them and putting in my favorite Dimarzios. BUT.. I plugged in and these pickups are right up my alley. Nothing is jumping out at me as "fake" or "sterile". They seem well matched to the guitar, and well matched to my playing style.

I thought they would be super hot and tight like the 81. Actually they ARE hot, but not exceedingly so, and they still breathe. So while they are hot and make soloing effortless, chords aren't tight or congested. And they work with my amp settings as is... they are pretty interchangeable with my Evolution and D-sonic guitars. The bridge has some openness on top like an A5.. I don't know if its alnico or ceramic. I'll look it up later.

Each pickup also coil splits, so the guitar is versatile. The guitar has a three way switch and the pickups are independently splittable.

This is just my first reaction while setting up the guitar. Will have to test them more when intonation is done.

Very competent pickup set. No wonder its a $300 set! https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit: Just have to add, I am kinda upset that I like them alot. I had a pickup swap planned and now I don't get to go through all that.

Last edited by Top-L; 08-12-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Nice, it looks like the gamble paid off.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X