Hardtail guitars and resonance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtail guitars and resonance?

I have noticed that all my Floyd guitars, if you listen to them acoustically while playing, are much more resonant from behind. The trem springs and cavity almost work as a soundhole.

It seems that the sound is not coming from the strings, but from vibrations sent from strings into the guitar.

If you listen to a hardtail guitar from behind, is it less or more resonant?

Id think the same could be said about top routed guitars like a strat or any guitars that have a swimming pool route.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      Id think the same could be said about top routed guitars like a strat or any guitars that have a swimming pool route.
      Right. Which is what I'm getting at. Guitars with a front rout may sound more resonant but this may have nothing to do with the plugged tone.

I don't have the answers.

Do the Floyd guitars sound so resonant from behind because the string energy isn't transferred into the body? Do hardtail guitars have the most resonance or do they sound less because there is no large rout? Does it matter?

Comment

I think strats with their tremolo and all;

gives the guitar a special sound, that les pauls and other TOM guitars, don't have :/.

-Erl
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
          I think strats with their tremolo and all;

gives the guitar a special sound, that les pauls and other TOM guitars, don't have :/.

-Erl
          That's what my luthier friend taught me. I don't use tremolo's, but my friend showed me that blocking the tremolo actually caused the guitar to be more resonant. It's because of the springs. It's almost like a reverb built into the body.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That's what my luthier friend taught me. I don't use tremolo's, but my friend showed me that blocking the tremolo actually caused the guitar to be more resonant. It's because of the springs. It's almost like a reverb built into the body.
            Agreed. Both my Strats are like that. I almost went hardtail on my last build but decided to stick with the formula that worked last time and bingo, it's got that sound and feel to it. Same tremolo too (though one is 25+ years older than the other).

Comment

I've noticed some guitars are more resonant than others, but never put it down to the tremolo. Some with a trem are more resonant, some aren't.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think it changes the sound unplugged and plugged, yes. Which is why I prefer hardtail strats cuz they sound less jangly to me and more solid.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

I wouldn't call it resonant. Just additional sound from the sympathetic spring vibration. Hardtails can be resonant, but it varies by the wood and whether they are chambered, or semi-hollow or just a lighter or denser wood.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    I wouldn't call it resonant. Just additional sound from the sympathetic spring vibration.
                    I believe you're right. It just adds a little extra something.

Comment

Working...
                    X